iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fitting a tenon with a curved shoulder

Started by Dan_Shade, September 15, 2018, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I've been working on a crib with curved pieces.  I realized very quickly that doing mortise and tenons would be a challenge.

I adapted an idea that I saw on YouTube from Charles Neil:  Tenons....Quick - Easy - Accurate - YouTube

I made a sleeve that matches the curvature:

First I laid out the pieces, then I aligned a matching template and marked off where the centers are from the piece that needs tenons:

Then I carefully transferred the curve, at the proper orientation to the "sleeve", I fit two curved to the sleeve  one on each end.

Then I screwed the template to the top and bottom of the "sleeve", and used the bandsaw to rough out, and a flush trim bit to match everything up nice and flush.

Then I added spacers for the sides of the "sleeve", I used a strip of tape so that there is a little bit of clearance.  

Then, trim that up, I accidentally blew out some end grain, but it should be ok.

I made a video of the same concept making tenons for an angled rail: 

Video of making an angled tenon
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

A few pictures of the finished product:

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!