iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Help

Started by ehewitt05, September 27, 2018, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehewitt05

Does anyone on here have any experience with kiln drying their lumber? I've been reading a decent amount recently about people using Nyle Dehumidifying units with a shipping container and I'm thinking it would work for what I would need it for.

However, I would l love to find something that was an indirect hot air system using natural gas as we have free natural gas off the old wells on our farm. Too dangerous maybe? Not enough humidity control? Not sure just looking for some insight here.

Thanks!

YellowHammer

There are kiln manuafacturers that sell gas fired kilns, some designed specifically to run off natuaral has.  Kiln Direct is one.

Some people also use a heat source to force hot water through a radiator or Modine style heater in the kiln chamber.  Typically the heat is produced from a wood fired boiler but gas could also be used. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

No_Dude

Brother thats a goldmine for a kiln with that free gas. I have only read up on Dehumidification kilns, but I can tell you that there are gas fired kilns, and you will knock a lot off your bottom dollar with that free fuel

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Kilns can use just about any practical energy system to provide the desired temperature and humidity.  However, direct fired kilns do not control humidity very well...usually much too dry...so a gas unit will have to a plenum chamber to transfer the heat, like a furnace does in a home.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on September 29, 2018, 08:58:48 AM
Kilns can use just about any practical energy system to provide the desired temperature and humidity.  However, direct fired kilns do not control humidity very well...usually much too dry...so a gas unit will have to a plenum chamber to transfer the heat, like a furnace does in a home.
Gene, what about a DH kiln that uses gas to operate the DH unit (similar to the way that a propane powered refridgerator works in an RV)?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

K-Guy

scsmih42

I work at Nyle a DH kiln supplier. You could do that but I don't know of anyone making equipment for it. The easiest and probably cheapest way to do that would be with a gas powered generator to supply power. It would also be easier to get parts for maintenance down the road.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Don P

Along that thought, you could also grid tie the generator to sell the excess electricity and put the radiator in the kiln, using the engine coolant water to run a conventional kiln.

That is an interesting thought Scott, our old Dometic would run about 40 degrees cooler than ambient, I'd think you would be condensing. It was a happy day when I pulled that thing out of the camper though.

No_Dude

I wonder how much heat you could pull from that generator? I wouldn't think it would be enough to run a conventional, but maybe in a pre-dryer? I'm thinking something along the lines of the same principle of a solar kiln, pump the heat in, and leave some vents cracked and let natural air currents go to work sucking air in and out. Fans would be on inside to clarify, just natural air pull for venting.

scsmith42

Quote from: K-Guy on October 01, 2018, 08:37:05 AM
scsmih42

I work at Nyle a DH kiln supplier. You could do that but I don't know of anyone making equipment for it. The easiest and probably cheapest way to do that would be with a gas powered generator to supply power. It would also be easier to get parts for maintenance down the road.
Good idea re the Generator (and I own two L200's).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dougan2469

I would recommend looking for a "small" used class 2 hot water boiler.They are basically super fast recovering water heaters...Stay away from the high pressure steam boilers unless you know how to service them yourself. 

Boiler technicians are expensive... ;-) 

Thank You Sponsors!