iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bewildered Trees

Started by DanG, November 12, 2018, 09:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Even though they were well on the way to losing their leaves for their long winter nap. the pecan trees have budded out and have new bright green leaves just like it was spring. Even the ones blown down by Hurricane Michael have leafed out. It will be interesting to see how this phenomenon effects them in the spring. Along the same lines and even stranger seeming to me is the tree outside my window. The poor thing has one silly branch that leafs out every fall after all the leaves have shed. It wouldn't seem quite so peculiar if the whole tree did it, but it is always just that one branch. There is nothing else unique about the tree or the branch and it isn't because of grafting because it is a seedling tree planted by some forgetful squirrel years ago. Pecan trees are weird. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sixacresand

I wonder if that branch was a graft.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Obviously that is the only limb that can see inside of your window it maybe it's trying to tell you to put some clothes on.  :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Must be one of those chinese government trees.  Its the Censorship Branch. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

We have lilacs that have leafed and flowered twice this fall, last time being Saturday, then Saturday night it was 22 degrees...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

My forsythia are blooming again. They are about the first to bloom in the spring way before they get flowers.

We used to grow very big Orient (Some people call the Korean or Asian) pears in N. Fla where I grew up and we'd have big grown pears dropping in late August or September and we'd have blooms on the tree at the same time.

I figure it is like my system when I eat peanut butter and prunes and it doesn't know what to do.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Our azaleas have bloomed in November.  Must be Global warming. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Send us some up here. its getting cold at night. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ESFted

Seen it many times after late season strong wind events.  I recall Bradford pear being quite interesting...only the half of the tree facing the wind will bloom.  Wish I had taken pics of the whole line of half flowered trees in Virginia Beach one year.
Why Are Plants Blooming Now, After the Storm? | NC State Extension
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

tree-farmer

We have a flame azalea, that bloomed a week or so ago. Then it shead its leaves like it normally does. Currenty full of blooms and leafless. Beats anything I've seen lately. Been a odd year, very wet 85+ inches of rain so far, 6 just last week. Last year it was so dry we lived in fear of a forest fire. Not many acorns this year either.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

WV Sawmiller

A little off track but your mention of Azaleas reminded me when I was in my late teens and went to check the level of the river a couple miles from home (which was an almost daily thing) and spotted a friend's dad was fishing along a bunch of willows in the mouth of a big slough at the boat landing. He didn't even have a motor and had just sculled one handed with a single oar at the back of the boat (Truly a lost southern art since the invention of the electric motor. We sculled with one hand and fished with the other at the same time.) up into spot and he had a big mess of bluegills he had caught. I asked what he was using for bait and he said "Azalea worms". Hot Dog! I was in luck. We had a whole row of big old overgrown Azaleas at home and the Azalea worms were eating them up. I rushed home and found while I was out Mom had dusted all the bushes with Sevin dust and had killed every Azalea worm on the place. The story of my life!
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!