iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working with American Forestry Management (AMF) opinions?

Started by sondich, December 27, 2018, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sondich

Hello All,

I recently joined the forum. Looks like a great resource.

We have 146 acres in Maine that we're going to be thinning next year. We did a walk-though assessment with a Maine District Forester a few months ago. We're working on a forest management plan with American Forestry Management. They are on a state-approved consultant list for the WoodWise program which we'll be participating in. They're going to assess the timber value, give us the costs, recommend loggers, etc - basically lay out all the options and then let us decide how we want things to go down.

Our experience with both the Maine Forest Service and AFM has been 100% positive to date.  However, we are new to forestry and are going to be relying a lot on AFM's opinion on a lot of decisions as we proceed.

Just wondering if anyone here has worked with them before and what your experience was like.

Thanks in advance. I will now add one of the elf emoji's to my post. :new_year:

Steve

Wudman

AFM is a well respected company.  They do a considerable amount of cruising and sale layout work for me in Virginia.  I continue to use them year after year.  Happy New Year.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sondich

Thanks for chiming. I've been impressed so far, as well.

snowstorm

afm controls a lot of land down east and they do let snowmobiles and atvs use some of the old roads. now that is nice of them except if you have a sxs over 60" wide. and most of them are.60 to 64. i talked to 2 afm foresters a bout this. i said mine is 62" if i get stoped on your land i get a ticket? he said not the first time. the 2th time you will.they are the only landowner that i know of that dose this. there is no state law saying a sxs cant be over 60" wide. some think there is but there is not. its a landowner rule or can be. the sunrise trail and atvs bring a lot of money to downeast maine. and they can use it. afm could play a little nicer

Thank You Sponsors!