iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 240 starter

Started by Putnamqdm@yahoo, January 10, 2019, 10:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putnamqdm@yahoo

Anyone have experience with changing the starter on Timberjack 240 . 2 bolts Appear accesible but starter housing expands past the clearance to put a socket on the bolt heads. What's involved to get the starter out?

mike_belben

Probably grinding the snot out of thinwall sockets and box wrenches to get at that bolt.
Praise The Lord

Putnamqdm@yahoo

I thought about that. Was wondering if anyone actually changed one. I found one video they pulled the motor but my machine is not accesible to a crane.

thecfarm

Glad to see you posting,but too bad you have too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Don't know if it work for you but I used a cut socket welded to an extension

To put it back in used a bit of calking in the cut socket to hold the bolt.
logon

OntarioAl

I am  assuming that this is a Detroit powered machine ?
If so Detroit has a nasty habit of using a 12 point bolt in the bottom position.
On my 3-53 I remove the oil filter and reach in with a 12 point box end wrench break it loose (making the usual facial expressions) and take it out by hand then I break loose the other 2 and remove.
if it is the solenoid I change it in place.
Hope this helps
cheers
Al
Al Raman

larry12

My 3-53 is in pieces on the ground soaking because it's stuck from water getting into the exhaust , but here's  a pic of the 12 point bolts that were mentioned . I didn't have much of a problem removing my starter that I can recall ,except keeping the socket square and tight on the bolt, and then applying a lot of force to break the torque.

Putnamqdm@yahoo

453 Detroit are you saying that motor needs to be removed?

Putnamqdm@yahoo

Yes its a 453 Detroit you wouldnt think changing a starter would be such a problem giving the places these machines work in.

Thank You Sponsors!