Sponsors:

My processor build

Started by stevea303, February 21, 2019, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevea303

Crusarius

Definitely subscribing to this one...

mitchstockdale

wow... thats some big steel...anxious to see more progress pics :)

dean herring

2 cylinders, that's interesting 🧐🧐
May I ask why? 
I have a 5" x 36" cylinder  I am planning to put on my processor, if I ever get started on it😏😏
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

stevea303

Im using 2 cylinders mostly because I have alot of big oak (which prob should go to saw mill) to cut & split. And because I hate when I try to split a round and the splitter says NOPE!  ;D

doc henderson

I have a 5 x 32 on my splitter.  I have an 18 hp gas briggs with a 2 stage barnes 28 gpm pump,  I thought about a 2nd cylinder but was thinking of orienting top and bottom for the big logs that try to torque my pusher.  It would double the psi but 1/2 the speed.  with a 2 stage pump, not such a big deal.  It also will double the volume of fluid on the return stroke that can increase heat and decrease longevity of you valve.  May want to consider a dump valve for return.  Looks like you are making it beefy, but in this system, nature will find your weakest link.  I push through any thing, my pressure is set at 3k.  twisted branch areas, if I see things moving, I back off the pusher to let the log re-center its self.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If I do the math correct, surface of piston of 5 inch cylinder.  surface area of circle= pi . radius squared,  2.5 x 2.5 x 3.14 =19.625 sq. inches.  x 3.000 psi = 58,875 psi.  for both is 117,750 psi.  Enough to bend or break something for sure.  Of course you want it to split rather than shear stuff.  In the beginning my leading edge was too sharp, and would get wavy after splitting elm ect.  My wedge is 18inches tall.  My BIL had a 30 inch log try to roll over backward and bent the top of my pusher.  I extended it and added reinforcement.  My H beam is 8 x 8 with 1/2 inch web.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I like the double H beam design, this is like boxing and the square tube down the center should keep everything from twisting.  I got a good deal on my cylinder or I might have gone shorter, but I am glad I did not.  I put stops on the rod to shorten it up, but on scraggly stuff, I have plenty of room to put the next log in line to push a stubborn one on through.  Keep the pics and details coming.

stevea303

Twin 4x36" cylinders. My only gripe is they only have 1/2" ports. Would love to cut them out snd install 3/4" or 1" to speed things up a bit.

doc henderson

Well you can still run 3/4 line #12 i think and just reduce it at the cylinder.  in addition to radius, resistance to flow has a length component as well, so a short restriction is better than a long one.  plus you could tee of the valve and run two lines or a bigger one and T at the cylinders.  The second is prob. better, in terms of neatness and cost.  What flow is your pump rated at/  This will help you decide on hose size.  Engineering toolbox has some devises for calc., or your local hydraulic shop can help.  It is more expensive, but I took my splitter to the hydraulic place and we custom made hoses so they did not rub and looked professional.  If you have a buddy on a road const. crew, they will often have access and permission to make up some "personal use" hoseds and save you some.

doc henderson

your new cylinder surface area is 12.56 and assuming you can generate 3k psi, total each cylinder is 37,680 psi or 75,360 psi for both. or 37.5 ton.  I have not found a log i cannot split with my single 5 inch cylinder.  Look into wedge design, cause you want to split, not cut so much.

stevea303

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

I like the elevated slide platform.  esp. if you are doing a multi-split wedge(4 way and such).  It will allow for some relief under the side wing splitters.  The side pieces are great but will create potential "pinch points" so not sure where the controls will be.  is this a big log splitter or a true processor with remote operators station.  
Do you know pump flow and pressure.  My brother calls it monkey proofing to design it so people cannot harm the equipment or themselves.  He makes a lot of mods to road equipment, for a big company, some liability.  Also important if you have a wife or child who may operate this at times.

stevea303

Will be full processor once complete. My pump for now will be my Takeuchi TL 250 skid steer...23.5 gal min at 3000 psi w/ 98 hp runnin it. I bought a kubota v2203 from a Carrier Transcold refer unit that will eventually power it. Im thinking a tandem pump with 25 gal min from each outlet will suffice. One circuit to run split cycle and one curcuit to run saw motor, clamp & log infeed. Wont be running more than 1 circuit at a time, not looking for high production as I only cut for myself & family.

doc henderson

If you are only running 1 circuit a t a time, you may get by with only one pump with a power beyond capability.  that was my next question, will the log drop down from above.  You will have to protect your side braces from getting snagged by a log and bending.  i did this to my staging table that had angle iron, so i had to cut off the top and weld to the bottom.  it may need to be solid sides.  What is the width between the side uprights?  Might consider something that angles to the center rather than flat or right angles.  You mentioned big oak logs and some of those are over 30 inches.  what is you max. predicted log size?  With all that power you may want to further box in your I beams or at least gradually increase stress as you test it.  can be done later.  i lived in Albany and split lots of 30 inch oak logs with an 8 # maul.  gets rid of stress, but hate to see you limit your size.  Is this going to be patterned after a commercial model.  You or someone who likes you must have some great fab and machine skills.  

doc henderson

at 23.5 gallons per minute 1 cylinder will travel at 38 feet per minute out, and would need to know your rod size for retraction speed.  Of course both together would be 1/2 that speed, and cycle time would also be shorter if you use cylinder stops to shorten the effective push/pull.  I bought a set from Jacks small engine, and it came with 4 diff. sizes, to use in combo.

doc henderson

Looks like the beams are 16" wide and about 20 inches between the side supports.?
with the double H beam design, it would be easy to do a wedge with side splitter that can go up and down, since the center supports are offset and not under the wedge.  may also want a conveyor and to be able to raise and lower (adjust) the side splitter wings.
what is the HP rating of your engine, that may dictate your pump.  I did not realize that a refer motor was that big.  I started with my splitter running off skid steer hydraulics as well.  It is nice when it is eventually stand alone.

doc henderson

here of some pics of my splitter that may help, even though yours is a processor.

doc henderson

a few more showing the pusher repair/modification.  as you get this up and running any problems will be R & D. ;D

here is my attempt at a multi split wedge, not used much as you can see, just slips on in front of usual wedge.  not good for gnarly stuff

mitchstockdale

Quote from: doc henderson on February 22, 2019, 09:52:56 AM
here of some pics of my splitter that may help, even though yours is a processor.
What are those rings on the cylinder shaft?..are they just spacers so she doesnt go in all the way?

doc henderson

yes, aluminum with a stainless spring so they clip on.  most of my stuff is 16 inches so it can go in my stove front to back.  My cylinder is 32 inches, and you feel like you are wasting time and fuel if it goes all the way back.  they are easily removeable if you need more length for a longer log.  came as a set for my 2 inch push rod.  1,2,3,and 4 inch.    for a total of 10 inches or any combo.  so I can push the valve back to detent while getting wood ready for the next split.  On straighter logs I use the marker with a wheel set to 16 inches to be more consistent.  

doc henderson

my valve is a standard prince with 3/4 " ports, flipped over from factory config. so it can be neatly attached to cylinder,  all hoses are 3/4 ", suction hose 1.25 " to fit pump.  with the valve in the center, I can work from either side, but with the area I have, I typically work on the right side behind the engine, and put my work table on the left.  I can control the engine and out of the wind up next to the south side of my shop, and the Left is open so I can move logs with the skid loader.

whitepine2

Quote from: stevea303 on February 21, 2019, 07:02:00 PM
Twin 4x36" cylinders. My only gripe is they only have 1/2" ports. Would love to cut them out snd install 3/4" or 1" to speed things up a bit.
You can weld some spuds to make 3/4" or 1". Make sure you hone out where the piston is welded as it will be expanded,if not done it will take out your packing. I did this to my piston and used 3/4" lines and 22 GPM pump and 30 GPM double detent valve works fine.

stevea303

Thank You Sponsors!