iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this maple?

Started by Banjo picker, April 18, 2019, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

A friend and his son brought this to the mill today to cut cookies out of.  He rescued it from going to the dump.  I said it looked like maple to me, but I really don't know.  All the rest of the tree was already gone so no leaves to look at.  What do you think.

He plans to make some small tables and such out of it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

doc henderson

i cross cut some maple today and that looks the same. Was there a woodpecker in the area, looks like a pattern of holes.  Of course I once thought I was cutting a maple based on the pile it came from, and it was a pin oak.  So i think i may still be on "probation"!    ;)

@Tom the Sawyer 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

more coffee tables.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Banjo picker

I don't know where it came from, but it definitely has been visited by a woodpecker.  I was glad I got it cut with out busting a blade.  I can get 28 inches between the mega rollers and I hit it lightly on one pass.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

doc henderson

i will even these up on the mill but got them in the ballpark with  the 880.

KEC

I can't tell what kind of tree it is from the photos, but those horizontal rows of holes are typical of sapsucker woodpeckers. They are called sap wells as they exude sap, which the birds lap up. In heavily forested areas hummingbirds follow the sapsuckers around and drink the sap too.

stavebuyer

Thank You Sponsors!