iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

powermatic planner problem

Started by tomkat001, May 21, 2009, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkat001

I have owned my 15" power matic planner for a few years but have never been happy with the job the rolls do pulling the board thru. I have set and re set all of the adjustments but can not make it do a good job of feeding. Any ideas?
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

Dan_Shade

does it have rollers in the table?

how high are they above the table?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tomkat001

It does not have rollers in the table, the table is a flat piece of cast iron, I have tried cleaning and polishing the bed,it might have helped a little but still wont feed thru very well.
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

WDH

That is an expensive planer to have that type of problem.  Have your talked with Powermatic about it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thedeeredude

I use paste wax on the tables.  I couldn't believe the difference it made pulling boards through.  It works great.  I thought the planer wasn't working right, but paste wax and keeping sharp knives in makes all the difference.

pineywoods

I had the same problem with my woodmaster until I got the optional plastic bed overlay. Just a sheet of super-slick plastic that covers the infeed, outfeed and planer table. I think the stuff is called HDPE, slickern snot.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

michaelhiggins

what kind wood, what moisture content?  looking for a good workhorse planner myself,
-mch

Thank You Sponsors!