iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pettibone master 5 skidder any one useing them would like to talk to some users

Started by jocco, April 29, 2011, 08:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jocco

Wanted to get a thread going on the wisconsin powered master 5 skidder any owners or uers?
You may check out but you will never leave

tapper2

Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

jocco

Knowing what i know of pettibone some one got a good buy!!! That is a much larger machine.

barbender

I have the same skidder, except mine doesn't have the front end loader. That one looked like the winch was missing, too. It definately looked clean though, and good tires too. Jocco, you're saying they made one that was powered by a Wisconsin? I've never seen one. Mine weighs 17,000, that one would be heavier with the loader on it.
Too many irons in the fire

jerryatric

I owned that same skidder, Not exact but the same model. very handy for unpinching a saw was about all that clam was good for in the woods.

treefarmer87

i like that front end loader :) it would come in handy, could you load with it?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

logman81

That is a neat skidder! Awhile back on craigslist I saw a small Timberjack with the same setup. I would think that would be very handy for stacking logs on the landing and possibly loading a small truck.
Precision Firewood & Logging

jocco

Quote from: barbender on April 30, 2011, 05:38:21 PM
I have the same skidder, except mine doesn't have the front end loader. That one looked like the winch was missing, too. It definately looked clean though, and good tires too. Jocco, you're saying they made one that was powered by a Wisconsin? I've never seen one. Mine weighs 17,000, that one would be heavier with the loader on it.

Yes the master 5 (m5t) it had the 65 hp v4 in it. There were a couple other options for engines but i am not sure exactly what and yes many were repowered from home by any engine you could adapt. Theres were mid 60's until ? i am not sure. Notsure on weight maybe 5 ton.

Stang51D

Here we go, I think this is my first post here and it's a neckropost.  :D

Anyway, back in the 60s, my grandpa was a Pettibone dealer here in Indiana.  He sold a lot of super 6 and 8 cary lifts, and master 5 skidders.   I have a super 8 here that is nearly all original, even has the original side panels.  That was an easy one, as he sold it new to his brother and it has been in the family the whole time.   The hard one was the master 5.  But today I brought it home. A barn fresh "survivor" that has never been hacked on.  Almost all original right down to the seat.  The engine was changed out but it's still a wisconsin.   

I was able to get the original build sheets on it and it's pretty interesting.   It shows where my grandpa ordered it on 10-16-65 with a ford 172 diesel.  Then there is a copy of a letter that he sent on 12-11-65 saying that he wanted to change the order to have the Wisconsin engine.  Later there is a letter from Pettibone that says to discard the parts books sent earlier and use the 4 (for machines sn/72 and 73, 2 books each) that accompany the letter.   They were not always the same, so they sent 2 books with every machine.  One went with the machine and grandpa kept the other in a file under the owners name. Any time he would get a call for something, he could pull the exact book for the machine. 

This Master 5, along with the Super 8, will be restored to like they came new and live a pretty easy life from here on out.
Pics forthcoming when I get time to figure out how to post them  :)

ClarkF66

Great to get some stories on how Pettibones where sold and used back in the day, Stang51D.
I'm looking forward to seeing picktures of your machines!!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

346xp

That is awesome storm what a cool project.Please send some pics when ya can.My neighbor worked at pettibone for years. 8)

346xp

Sorry I meant Stang  auto correct got me!!! I hate these new phones LOL 8)

beenthere

You can edit your post by clicking the modify button, upper right. just sayin...    ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stang51D

Lets see if I can post one from a computer.  Normally use an Ipad at home.

This is yesterday right after I got it loaded up.  It has always been a user, but been in a barn for about three years.  Took a new battery and some gas the other day to get it going and the chiggers got me, then Had to kill a copperhead in the process of loading it yesterday.

barbender

That looks nice and low slung like a TJ. My Pettibone 501 is quite tall, it is a pain to get in and out of the cab.

kiko

Stang51D

Its pretty low, top of the hood is maybe neck high.  Its not terrible to get in and out of, but could be easier.  Only one step but its tucked under pretty good, so that makes getting on worse then a TJ, but you just jump off, so thats not bad.  The visability is the best tho, better then anything I have been on.   I also have a 501l.  Its easier to get on and off of then that one.  As far as cost, I'm not sure.  I have seen nothing on the cost of one and my grandpa has been gone now for almost 30 years.

Stang51D

Little Less then neck high.    Just measured it, 56" to the top of the hood.

jocco

Nice find Stang Do you have much info on getting parts?

Quote from: Stang51D on July 28, 2015, 09:00:03 PM
Little Less then neck high.    Just measured it, 56" to the top of the hood.

Stang51D

Looks like tiffin parts will have a lot of what one would need.  Called them the other day for center pin bushings.  They had to get a quote from a machine shop, then thru them, then a "dealer", then me.   Three bushings for the top, three for the bottom, $314 +- for each (3 in each set).  The pins are just 1 1/4" bolts drilled for grease.  I found the bushings locally for 2 of them, the other one is an easy job on the lathe, and then the bolts are easy.  Both top and bottom will be around $100 total, instead of close to 650-700.  I would say that parts are going to be something pretty standard, or a simple machine job.  They are not complex machines. 

Stang51D

Center pins are in, snug as a bug.  Also replaced the blade cylinders.  They had been replaced at some point with some farm cylinders that were shorter, then cobbled on to make them long enough.  Found some nice new welded ones on ebay for a good price.  Changed those and the outside hoses going to them.  The winch control lines were wasted.  Still holding but very bad shape.   Changed them out.  Then looking it over, i noticed that the bolts holding the front rearend in the trunion were really loose, letting the rearend move around.  Have the new bolts for it and may get them in tomorrow evening if I have time.   Moving right along, oh, and started on the 501 mountain goat today.  I picked it up a while back to tinker with and get up in shape to use in the woods as a backup skidder or a loader for small bunches of trees.  It will be a working girl, the master 5 is a restoration.

bushmechanic

Stang51D

Why, they are stuck on my email where I sent them from my phone.  Computer trouble at work has put the ka-bosh on my pic loading, but they will be coming.

larry1

My buddy used one for a while , not sure of the model but it was a tad bigger than the one on the float . In fact it had a real good 3-53, 18.4 x34 tires and a cargo winch . His had a high center of gravity and he flipped it over winching , so he retired it and bought a 664 B  .

Larry --ont.

Stang51D

Here it is split, with all of the pins and bushings out.  The holes were wore some and a little egg shaped.

Of the 3 bushings for each hold, here is 2 of them.  The one I hade to make is welded in to take up for the slight egg shape, the spherical bushing is in and ready for the pins and going back together.

Here it is after its back together, with the 3rd bushing, the spacer washers, and the pins in.  The pins are 1 1/4" gr 8 bolts that have had 1/4" taken off the head and drilled for grease.

Now to start building the new blade.  The old one is a disaster, the new one will be way better then trying to save the old.

bushmechanic

That will certainly tighten her up good. Two steering rams I see that's a bonus on an old skidder.

coxy

Quote from: Stang51D on August 05, 2015, 07:58:06 PM
Center pins are in, snug as a bug.  Also replaced the blade cylinders.  They had been replaced at some point with some farm cylinders that were shorter, then cobbled on to make them long enough.  Found some nice new welded ones on ebay for a good price.  Changed those and the outside hoses going to them.  The winch control lines were wasted.  Still holding but very bad shape.   Changed them out.  Then looking it over, i noticed that the bolts holding the front rearend in the trunion were really loose, letting the rearend move around.  Have the new bolts for it and may get them in tomorrow evening if I have time.   Moving right along, oh, and started on the 501 mountain goat today.  I picked it up a while back to tinker with and get up in shape to use in the woods as a backup skidder or a loader for small bunches of trees.  It will be a working girl, the master 5 is a restoration.
just be vary careful with the hi-lo forward reverser case the parts are vary hard to impossible to find for the 501 that's why I sold mine I have a lot of planetary parts I think 4-5 5gal buckets full with a few axles the guy would not give me a little extra for the parts so I keep them  I had my 501 for 13years  the brakes suck on them they are a small round pad that will not stop you going down hill   i put a caliper off a 300 case skidder on there and made a huge improvement  would like to see pics of the 501 if you could   thanks

barbender

I don't use my 501 much, but if I did some kind of brake improvements would be in order. I was dreaming of putting a hydra-boost pump or something on there, man you have to stand on that pedal hard to do anything >:(

coxy

that's why I put a different caliper on mine you can use every thing else a booster wont help tried that  :) the pads are to small

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Stang51D

So far, this is what I have done to it.
New center pins
New blade
New screen
New blade cylinders
New battery box
New seat
Most hoses new
Rebuilt hydraulic valves
Re drilled and tapped the hyd tank mount
Switched it to a spin on hyd filter
New fuel pump
New wheel seals
Tightened up wheel bearings
Repaired rusted out wheels
New exhaust
New tunes in the tires
New, modern alternater
New cable rollers
New gauges
New fuel line
New plugs, wires, cap, etc
Replaced one lifter that was bad in the engine
Straightened a few things
Rebuilt steering lever
Rebuilt winch control unit
Most u joints replaced
New battery
Added a cat master switch
Lots of new bolts
Rewired
Sand blasted and painted
New decals, including the ones I had reproduced that my grandpa put on his machines.

Thank You Sponsors!