iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Couldn't stand it...had to plane and finish a board of the quarter sawn white oak I cut a month ago via Robert's Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing technique...beautiful

Ought to fetch how much you think?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Andries

WDH, Yellowhammer, Busysawyer, Magicman and PAsawyer, thanks for the kudos.
I'll pass them along to the construction crew.
Tomorrow I'll be milling out a mantle for an outdoor fireplace.
The specs call for: " 24" at the small end, 13' long, and as gnarly as you can tolerate to put on your mill".
I'll post some photos of that when done, but here's what passed for 'gnarly' for one of the twelve mantles inside the log home.

I could post a sequence of photos in the 'watcha building' thread that Jim Rogers started a while back. . . . after I get finished this weeks milling - tomorrow.  ::)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Briankinley2004

Pretty sure end grain moisture readings aren't accurate. What did you get opposite? Hard to think its dried properly 1 month after milling. Pretty wood but I wouldn't sell as dry unless your are the man with a kiln

Ianab

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on August 13, 2018, 11:18:23 PMPretty sure end grain moisture readings aren't accurate.

The end grain dries a lot faster than the rest of the board. So the MC of that exact piece of wood is probably true, but doesn't accurately reflect the rest of the board.  

If you weigh the whole board, and put it back on the stack for a week. Then weigh it again. If it's got lighter, then it's still drying. If it's not changed, then the surface reading is probably accurate. 

Sweet looking board, should get a premium for it, but 1 month drying for White Oak is optimistic. 1" per year drying is a worst case, so the real drying number is something between 1 month and 1 year. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Takes me about 6-8 months to air dry 1 1/8" thick white oak.  Then in the kiln for about 8 more days to get it below 10%. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

With the CONSTANT rain and humidity here, I think the air-dry piles are INCREASING in MC!  :-\
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Lawg Dawg

That was a piece cut out of the middle of the board, but the log was very dry when I sawed it.  Had probably been on the ground for 9 months, so I don't know, maybe it's not really that dry, maybe it is...
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Probably not.  Logs do not dry out in round form readily.  I suspect that your piece is still pretty wet.  If it has only been cut a month or so, it is still very wet, especially white oak which is one of the very slowest drying woods. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Standing dead or laying dead will still take months to dry.  I have on hand about 600 board feet of 5/4 white oak that came down about a year ago.  I sawed it in May.  It is still not dry enough for use
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

Lawg Dawg,
That's a beautiful example of RRRQS wood.  Excellent job.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

LD, that's a pretty piece of wood I hope your compensated well for your efforts. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

4x4American

Been cutting a bunch of big pine.  Logs so big my chain turner couldn't spin em and my log clamp couldn't hardly budge em.  Cut a 17' log monday that yielded 748bf of lumber  :o

Its all custom sawing for a loggers shop he's building.  8 pine logs made a load on his triaxle

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

That log makes you and the mill look like midgets.

bags

I milled a few stacks of 6/4 juniper bent shorties for hall table blanks yesterday on the HM130---

caveman

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2018, 07:12:09 AM
Dug is not a small feller but I agree with WDH.  
Caveman

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: caveman on August 15, 2018, 05:37:29 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2018, 07:12:09 AM
Dug is not a small feller but I agree with WDH.  
WooWee that's a stick of WOOD  :o

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

4x4American

lol lol lol 

Well today before we started anything else we had to realign the green chain, conveyor, and sawmill with the backhoe after the pounding they took from those big giant 16'ers.  Everything was knocked out of whack...I need a concrete floor to bolt everything down to and make cleanup more better.  I have the lt70 strapped to the wall of the building on both ends now.  I'll tell ya what tho that 70 is like a rolex watch it takes a lickin' and keeps on a tickin'.
Boy, back in my day..

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think that was a TIMEX watch...

Herb

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

John Cameron Swayze would be impressed.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nativewolf

Quote from: PA_Walnut on August 14, 2018, 07:50:57 AM
With the CONSTANT rain and humidity here, I think the air-dry piles are INCREASING in MC!  :-\
some of our logs were literally floating...so maybe they were increasing in moisture.  Our saw mill site was so wet the tables fell as the leg support blocks sunk into the mud and mud was flowing into the site.  Sigh..wet wet.
Liking Walnut

Darrel

It's so dry here. ODF says the woods, both public and private are closed down. Can't run gas powered saws either chain saw or sawmill. Fire danger is extreme. It rained this morning, felt good but the dust still billowed up behind the car while the rain was falling and then the sun came out and it was still hot, smokey and dusty. But more rain will come one day and the dust will settle, and the fires will go out, it always does. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on August 15, 2018, 10:24:55 PM
I think that was a TIMEX watch...

Herb
The 70 super is too fancy to be a Timex 😉
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

I am sawing NOTHING.
Cant find either Hemlock or WP logs here.
Have had several leads but havent worked out.
Got several calls for "pine" yard trees which turned out to be Norway spruce.
Had a guy bring me 6 short Red oak bolts, I wont say logs, which he assured me were metal free.
My son unloaded them while I was busy with a customer.
When I looked them over he admitted they were yard trees and he had hit a staple when he bucked them up.
Put them back on his trailer and sent him on his way.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Just Right

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 24, 2018, 11:07:45 AM
Nice slabs! I like sawing pine...makes me happy!  ;D :)

Pallets make me happy too! Is that 12' material, or are you stickering on 16" intervals?
I am SURE it's been covered ad nauseam prior, but what kinda results are folks getting from 12 or 16" stickering?

I'm expecting YellowHammer's quality/science mind will have practical data!   8)
<br
>
PA,  Out of the kiln.  The spacing on the 16 inch worked good.  Seems like they came out straight.  Those are 8 ft.

If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Thank You Sponsors!