iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Subsoiling stumps

Started by Jim Keith, May 26, 2017, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Keith

Howdy.  This is my first post in the forum.  I hope to share some forestry mulching trials and tribulations with others in the biz.

My company does forestry mulching and we exclusively mulch stuff above ground.  The knives we use don't last long when they contact sand, mulch like a chainsaw.  I'm interested in grinding up the sumps and roots for customers with a subsoiling attachment and was hoping someone on her had run one before and could help guide me in the right direction.

I went to Conexpo in Vegas this past year and saw some state of the art stuff and I'm sure most of it works great.  I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what to expect before I trouble a manufacturer with a demo.  Can anyone offer what they've seen for operating costs with such equipment?

All the best,

Jim
KW Land Works, LLC

Furu

Had to look up where you were located to see what conditions you were dealing with on a daily basis. 
It would be a challenge to get further apart and still be in the mainland US.

I run a Fecon with HDT rotor and Double Carbide Tools so I am not really a good person to answer your direct question.  With my style head and tools I can do what I believe you are looking to do.  Have you evaluated using the carbide tools on your brand head or if it is within the budget getting a different head with double carbide tools?

Jim Keith

We ran conventional carbide teeth on the Cimaf head and the performance was awful.  I think with the relatively large rotor diameter the available force at the tooth is pretty small.  It would clog up with debris on a regular basis and not having reverse meant we had to work hard to dislodge stuff. 

Also, our Cimaf head isn't setup to get down in the ground well whereas a subsoiling head should be able to get a foot or so deep. 

Furu, what brand/model subsoiler are you running?

We're primarily in sand.  We envision converting row pines to pasture as our primary use for the tool if we were to get one.

Thanks,

Jim

Furu

Quote from: Jim Keith on May 29, 2017, 05:42:15 PM

Furu, what brand/model subsoiler are you running?

Jim

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you as I was away.

I am running a Fecon BH74SSV HDT Rotor with double carbide tools.  I really like the variable speed hydraulic motor (automatically adjusts the Bull Hog's motor displacement to maximize rotor speed and torque to changing material loads)

I always think of a subsoiler as being one of these,

so it maybe a regional thing but I do not consider my unit a subsoiler even though it will get down into the ground and  mulch out roots and mulch CWD into the soil.  It will not go a foot into the soil however.  For my application and for those that do similar work around here that would be high undesirable.

I am running mine with 45 gpm hydraulics and have no problem with it clogging.

Jim Keith

This behemoth is in my city.  That Challenger is in the 300 hp range running a 250 FAE subsoiler.

Furu

Very interesting.  i have seen those described as soil stabilizers not as subsoilers.
http://www.machineryzone.com/used/soil-stabilizer/6089588/stabi-h-250-fae-soil-stabilizer.html

Either way my Fecon while having similar tools does not get that far into the soil and for the purposes that we use the equipment up here.

711ac

Not the info you were looking for, but I just saw this link on another forum and it looks like a similar situation to yours. Looks to be very efficient with lower operating costs. A (much cheaper) dozer should should substitute for the big expensive tracked ag tractor. After this monster, you could grind above ground with your existing equipment.
https://www.facebook.com/osmarga/videos/1531583686883659/
Pretty cool vid anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!