iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Processor

Started by roadman, September 06, 2009, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Hi - I'm new here and hope someone out there can help me out.  I have a firewood business and my business has been increasing, so I bought a used Beaver Woodeater processor.  Worked fine for the person I bought it from, but I have had nothing but trouble.  Did I say this was a used processor?  The saw won't cut all the way through the log.  Can't seem to find anyone in central Ohio that knows anything about this processor?  Any ideas out there?

Dan - The Woodman

gunman63

Im assuming a Hakki, what size?,

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

What is keeping the saw from going all the way through a log?

Is the bar too short, is there not enough power, is the chain dull, is the stroke not enough?  Tell us more. Might be able to help sort it out better that way.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

We had a Beaver Woodeater many years ago.  We could do several thousand cords per year with that machine.  But, I wasn't the guy who ran it, so I might not be much help.

It sounds to me like you aren't getting the stroke off of your cylinder.  Every machine that I have seen has a hydraulic cylinder that moves the blade up and down.  Often the blade goes far enough down that you can run your log over the blade and cut on the backstroke.  I'm not sure the Woodeater could do that.

On my mill carriage we have several cylinders.  When I'm not getting enough stroke, there is usually something binding.  It could be a bolt or a pin.  Or maybe something has broken off and not allowing the full stroke.  But, I would start with the cylinder. 

For trouble shooting, you might consider disconnecting the cylinder and make sure that the blade goes full stroke by hand.  If not, then the problem wouldn't be in the cylinder.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

gunman63

Half the hakkis(wood beavers) have manual stroke, thts why i asked what kind of beaver he had, I got one so more info would be great to help him

truckwrench

Is it the blue trailer mounted one that has a little kabota engine or is it a red one that mounts on the back of a tractor? Ihave had both of them and would be happy to help you out.

riggin rat

Sounds to me like the bar is wore out and needs to be trued up, the rails are probaly wore down on one side. try turning the bar over or have that one trued up and put a new chain on and see what happens. Also make sure the chain is ground even on both sides.

roadman

Dan here - thanks for all of the replies.  The processor is not a Hakki. It is a Beaver Woodeater.  It was made in Canada and the company is no longer in business.  I have a new bar and new chain on the processor.  Sometimes it will go right trough.  Everything else works fine it is chain feed - splitter - flip tray.   It goes full stroke with the log.
I will try and load pictures as soon as possible. 

truckwrench

Hi Dan  That is what I thought it was. Bar is controlled by a linkage from the splitting ram there is some adjustment on the rod under the flipper. What i had to do was pause at the end of the stroke with the ram forward, and sometimes wiggle the log so the bar would go all of the way down. in shorter logs with knots it was worse as the log would tip and bind the bar. If need be i will talk to you on the phone and see if i can help.

roadman

Thanks for all of the replies.  Truckwrench sounds like you have some good ideas.  I will give you info a try and let you know how it works out. 

Dan - The Woodman

OLD_ JD

Hi roadman is it look like this ???

canadien forest ranger

4genlgr

road man ... if the picture is what yours is my cousin had one also   i ran it some and it worked well  he kept a wood hook or pick-a roon (an ax handled tool with a 4inch pointy head) for wiggling wood arouund with

he made up a 6way knife for it

the thing i really wanted to modify on was the hold down for the wood  small stuff would twist when the saw hit it.   saw a hold down on a small wood spliter that was a curved plate with spikes that looked like it did a much better job on the small wood

Gary_C

Hey OLD JD, I know winter is coming but did you have to post those pictures to remind us of what it is like.  :o :o

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

roadman

Thanks to  who replied.  My wife is still trying to figure out how to get pictures on - ours are too large.  Old JD my processor looks just like the one you have pictures of. Busy delivering firewood.  My old truck burnt up and had to replace it.  I am trying to work in time to implement the suggestions you all gave.  At least I feel like we are getting somewhere with all the suggestions.

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!