iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time running a grapple skidder

Started by timberlinetree, June 18, 2017, 07:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I start a new job on Monday running a jd grapple skidder. What are the do' s and more importantly  the don'ts when running this machine? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ken

It's been a long time since I've run a grapple so can't really chime in on a bunch of operational techniques but as an employer having an employee show up on time daily and maintain/clean his machine regularly goes a long way.  One of the first things you should do when you get ready to start is check the oil, air filter and look for leaks that should be fixed.  Good luck
Lots of toys for working in the bush

lynde37avery

keep the grapple closed when travelling empty so it doesn't catch onto a tire.
Detroit WHAT?

treeslayer2003

while empty, carry it not quite all the way up. it seems to not bang around so bad.

Spartan

Treat it like its our own machine, take care of it.

Drive it as much as you can, thats going to be your best teacher.  you will operate it efficiently when you know what that machine can and can't do and the only way to get that is drive time. 

If you've never driven a skidder before, your biggest thing to overcome (most likely)is going to be sidehilling with it, it will take a bit for you to realize you are not going to roll it, and the slope that will actually roll it.

watch hangups with the tree when you are pulling around something, especially if the tree is downhill from you.  It can flop you over so keep an eye on your front tires (if they are coming off the ground).

Corley5

Timberline, you still got your Jack and Franklin? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

There's a few differences between a single and dual arch as far as bunching, a dual arch you can do so much more. Biggest thing is getting comfortable to the grapple reaches, you get the hang of where to grab depending if it's single sticks or bunched wood. Alot of fwd-rev you don't have on a cable skidder. When you bunch wood don't be afraid to grab it and turn 90 degrees to the stick and back it in, alot of times your bunches are even, grab where you can and kind of loosen the grapple, back into your hitch and even them up. If you watch someone for a few hours that's really good you will pick it up quick. Grapple is nice on steep ground because you can literally drag it right low behind you.

mike_belben

Dont rub up the trunks of any future crop trees in the turns.. And dont force too hard when pivoting around bumper trees if the hitch dont wanna go.  Might find youve split the heartwood when bucked up.  No boss wants to pay for wrecked timber.
Praise The Lord

timberlinetree

Thanks so much for all the help! Really appreciate it! You all are very helpful!

dgdrls

Stoneyacrefarm

You'll be an old pro in no time.
You've got enough machine experience already.
Just figuring out the quirks in your new machine.
Good luck to you.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

timberlinetree

Thank you. This skidder is part spaceship compared to what I 'm us to. Lots of buttons! It can really climb a steep hill with the lock button. It is taking some getting use to,but really nice to run.

I mentioned the chain on the tire, and this morning I have to come in early to help with fuel relay on timbco. 

Heading out to work!

Crusarius

i've always wanted a skidder. I have no reason to have one other than the total koolness factor :)

Stoneyacrefarm

Timberline,
How much different is the terrain from what you were cutting in Ct and western Mass.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

SSL Clint

well at least your running the best. I have 5 jd grapples. dont get your weight high in the air on slopes loaded or empy. those machines will do amazing things. if u get in a jam like 3 tires on the ground they will wieght down low and idle only. if sidehill bottom tires spread open if there close together more chance of rollover. Ive rolled 3. all in my first 10 years. if your in jackpot dont b affraid to get another machine to hold u up from b0ttom side. an hours downtime is better than death. iv seen machines that rolled and killed some. NOT PRETTY. wear your seat belt its saved my life b4. Ego is big part of mishaps.happy skidding
Dust, mud, and blood. A loggers life: cuz we love it!

SSL Clint

sorry first day spelling. i meant 2 say if in a jam put yer weight down also blade and crawl at an idle. keep diff lock off easier turning. sorry bout that
Dust, mud, and blood. A loggers life: cuz we love it!

thecfarm

SSL CLINT,welcome to the forum.
Just so you know,upper right of each post is a modify button. One a little lower too. One will give you just text and one will give you all the stuff when you post. Press the save,lower right when you like it.
By the way,seen this thread?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
That will keep ya busy for a few hours.  :D
Add a picture if you want.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberlinetree

I am working in Ct  on some real steep stuff. Mostly big Vermeer oak. 

On thing for shure, never thought I would be hitting buttons while on the job. Want to close the grapple,just hit the button. Want to go faster,just hit the button. Diff lock, you guessed it,hit the button. 

This is like NASA  stuff. My favorite is rabbit steer. It helps in the woods,and a.c. and low low lock button. Even with all these bells and whistle,still tired at end of day,especially  since the timbco is down and we have to do alot of hand felling.

Spartan

I just started to stress out looking at all those lights :o

I felt confusion and paranoia start to set in.  I'm used to walking up to my relic and going "huh, wonder whats wrong today"

Thank You Sponsors!