iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpenter bees are back

Started by LaneC, March 25, 2015, 07:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

For those who have to deal with these little, giant pests, you probably have already been seeing them. If not you soon will. I just wanted to let anyone who has not heard of them, that they have a trap you can build out of scrap wood. From the videos they work wonderful. Just go to you tube and type in "carpenter bee trap" they will show you how to make them. Anywho, hopefully a bunch of folks can declare war on them and take out a few thousand and save countless ruined sheds, barns etc. I like the idea that someone else does, and shoot them with rat shot, but you still cannot find any .22 ammo of any kind around here still.
Man makes plans and God smiles

drobertson

thanks for the warning, and hate to hear the news, last year was the first I think I've ever seen them around these parts, but they sure do like the trusses in my shed, seemed like I was at war for several weeks, maybe a month killing them, the trap idea sounds like a good plan, and will leave me more time for sawing,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Yes, we live in a log home and they are a real problem. I learned long ago not to seal them in or they just cut another exit and it may be inside the house.

I have Orkin service monthly but will still build a couple of these and try them. We have similar problems in the Fall with the yellow jackets especially when cooking outside, cleaning fish, or cleaning deer during early bow season.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

drrobinson, it must be because of global warming :D :D. Yes we have yellow jackets too. A friend one time took a sip of root beer that had been setting for a minute or so, and his lip got way bigger than fat Alberts lip ever thought about being. I thought we were going to have to take him to the hospital but he wound up ok.

beenthere

Quote from: LaneC on March 25, 2015, 11:45:43 AM
drrobinson, it must be because of global warming :D :D. Yes we have yellow jackets too. A friend one time took a sip of root beer that had been setting for a minute or so, and his lip got way bigger than fat Alberts lip ever thought about being. I thought we were going to have to take him to the hospital but he wound up ok.

Hope he un-wound ok too.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

I had 2 of them last year. I sprayed some of the Raid wasp and hornet killer that shoots 20 feet into the holes until it was dripping out and never saw them again. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

downsouth

I buy a termite spray at the feed store that kills carpenter bees very fast. I have been seeing them already and I will bee spraying them this weekend

wildbill

i wonder who was shooting them out of the air??

my personal preference is a badminton racket
Raider Bill's favorite son

gfadvm

We have them bad here in NE Ok. but the traps do seem to work well. A couple of things I learned: if yer not catchin any, move the trap to a new spot. Second, always leave some dead bees in the trap as they seem to catch more than an empty one.

scleigh

Wasp and hornet spray does'nt even phase them here, but I have had good results with a broom.
They eat everything from treated pine to oak, but seem to leave my poplar alone.

LaneC

I forgot who it was, but I thought they said they were using a .38 with rat shot. That would be great. Good to hear the traps worked. Are they home made or did you buy them from somewhere? Thanks for the tip about moving also. How long should you wait before moving it?

WV Sawmiller

@scleigh - any particular wood they seem to prefer? I was fixing to build some out of some fresh cut poplar I have till I saw your comment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scleigh

@wvsawmiller , I would use pine.

Glenn1

We have a log house and we have had numerous carpenter bees in previous years.  Last year, my wife used seven dust and then inserted small aluminum foil balls into the hole.  No way they survived this combination.  We have had a few so far this year but nothing like past years.

Woodpeckers have added to the mess as they will listen for the larvae and then make elongated holes looking for the larvae. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Magicman

Quote from: LaneC on March 25, 2015, 10:42:36 PMAre they home made or did you buy them from somewhere?
They are available at most farm supply stores.  You could take a look and build them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: LaneC on March 25, 2015, 10:42:36 PM
I forgot who it was, but I thought they said they were using a .38 with rat shot. That would be great. Good to hear the traps worked. Are they home made or did you buy them from somewhere? Thanks for the tip about moving also. How long should you wait before moving it?

After reading this I went down and reloaded a batch of 357 snake shot this morning. Also dug out some of the 22 stuff. If you see them flying around looking for a spot to start chewing and it is safe to shoot there, this stuff works great.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Banjo picker

Where did you get the caps for the 38...I need some 44. s   I took out a bunch with a tennis racket last year...they haven't showed up here yet, but I know they will in a few days...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

gfadvm

The traps are really simple to build at no cost but your time. I made mine from pine as they seem to like pine the best.

Buckshot00

I have killed 20 with my badminton racket the last three days.

21incher

Quote from: Banjo picker on March 26, 2015, 08:13:50 PM
Where did you get the caps for the 38...I need some 44. s   I took out a bunch with a tennis racket last year...they haven't showed up here yet, but I know they will in a few days...Banjo
I get them from midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313962/speer-empty-shot-capsules-38-special-box-of-50 . They are made by speer and I think they come in 44 also but I don't know where to buy them.

LaneC

Glad to hear yall are taking a bunch of them out of the gene pool. Yep, the woodpeckers do a bunch of damage getting the larvae out and really show off the tunneling ability of the little critters. I guess they should name it "bee shot" instead of rat or snake shot :D

uplander

I was wondering when they would show back up. Looks like I will have to get the traps back up on the outside walls. They chew into the BC plywood my soffits are made of but stop when they hit the first glue layer. They also like to start on my Cypress lap siding but stop after getting through the fibers that have the stain in them.

Last year was not that bad a year for them in these parts but the year before we had a big crop of them.
Living in the woods I think we get a lot of them. My friends in town say they never see them.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Raider Bill

I have several traps I put up 3 years ago. They haven't worked for me. Tried moving them around didn't help.
I shoot them it's a final solution. Got 17 in 1 day once.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

LaneC

Dang, 17. That is some good shootin. What do you shoot them with?

Thank You Sponsors!