iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpenter bees are back

Started by LaneC, March 25, 2015, 07:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LaneC

That is a nice pistol. I am sure it does the trick. ;)
Man makes plans and God smiles

21incher

Why is that bee still in one piece? Usually you are lucky to find more then a small body part when they are shot. :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Bill only shoots them in the heart.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LaneC

LaneC

So far we have caught 4 of them in the bee traps. I will keep yall up to date on the numbers. ;D

Banjo picker

I shot two with 22 rat shot and put one in each of the two traps I built out of cedar....then I loaded up a few .44 mags with rat shot and I have not seen a bee in two days....except the two dead ones in the traps....it has cooled off a bit though...I would like to see one to try out my new shell...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LaneC

It has cooled off here too and raining as well. That .44 is like shooting a .410 :D. Surely you will be able to hit one in the heart with that ;D. Let us know how many you get. I sleep better at night knowing they are constantly being taken out, 1 by 1 :D  I bought some .44 rat shot years ago and it was high then. Is it still high now? (The price was about $12.00 about 10 years ago for 10 rounds I think)

Raider Bill

About everyone up there thinks I'm Billy the Kid shooting bees out of the air with a pistol. Few realize I'm using rat shot. Many do not even know it exists.

I Had a bunch of it for years but have pretty much used all the .22 up on bees. I do have some 38/357 and .40 RS but may as well use a .410 which is how I got started shooting the but found that my gutters and fascia got dented.

LaneC

I found that .44 rat shot and it was $7.99 about 10 years ago. That was for 10 CCI cartridges. I hate that it dents siding :D. So far 6 bees out of 4 traps.

Banjo picker

It warmed up today and the bees showed up with a vengeance.  I caught 4 bees in one trap and none in the other...they are placed about 5 or 6 feet apart...gona move the one that's not doing anything if it don't get any action in a day or two...but the reloads out of the 44 are deadly...8 kills out out of 8 shot...I made me a wad cutter out of a 300 Winchester mag shell.  Filed some teeth in to it....

Put a wad over the power and seat it with a 16 penny nail..add some # 12 shot add another wadding.

Put a drop of elmers glue on top and seal the edges with a toothpick....If you were shooting one at a time you wouldn't even need the glue..Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LaneC

That is Mississippi engineering at it's finest. ;) Great idea. Dad said the bottom of 1 bottle was full today so they must have moved a lot here today as well. I will try to get a number on the little devils. I killed 2 in a treated fence post today. They drilled about 6" from the ground and ate the crud out of the fence post. There was saw dust all over the ground coming from the hole so I stuck a green stick about 16" into the post and whacked 2 of their heads off as they tried to make their escape. That is the lowest I have ever noticed them from the ground. Nothing is safe from them at any height! I will sleep better tonight knowing that a few more have bit the dust ;) I hope the fence post will last a while longer. The fence post is treated good too. Nothing is safe.

bucknwfl

I have the traps made from pine and or cedar but they work great.  Put a little liquid soap and water in the bottom. It makes it easier to clean out
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

pineywoods

I've got swarms of them over the past week. I leave them alone until they finish polinating my blueberries, then it's open season. Did somebody post some pics of the traps ? I need to make a bunch..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LaneC

I checked and on you tube type in "carpenter bee trap" They have several on there. One video called "Jason explains the trap" or something like that will show a good model of one and you can get a good idea from there. If needed PM me and I can explain them a little more if it will help.

ozarkgem

Killed one Sunday. I am going to try some traps this year.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

LaneC

I wish you luck. I hope you get a whole bunch. (before they eat your place down)

Banjo picker

All the ones I have shot, has the yellow dot on the head.  I thought only the males had that dot...if that's so where are the girls?  I am gona check the ones in the traps and see if they have the dot or not...Banjo

LaneC

I counted them today. Out if 4 traps, so far 14 bees dead. I will sleep good tonight  :D. They have been out a week. That is not a lot but that is 14 less than before.

Buckshot00

Up to 53 dead with my racket.  lol

submarinesailor

Got one with my hat yesterday. 8) 8) 8) 8)

21incher

Quote from: Buckshot00 on April 13, 2015, 07:19:59 AM
Up to 53 dead with my racket.  lol
What kind of racket do you use? I bought one of the electronic ones and it works on every other type of insect but carpenter bees. It just seems to smoke a little bit of their hair off and make them mad. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

A badminton racket slices and dices them.

LaneC

Dang, 53! you are going to get tennis elbow(or bee elbow :)) I have not checked the traps again, too much rain down here. Yall keep up the good work. I sleep good when I know they are being taken out ;D.

LaneC

17 and counting. Not too many but it has rained hard every day for 8 or 9 days. One had just gotten in one of the bottles and after a good shaking, the ants enjoyed him. I also noticed that there were maggots in 1 of the traps and a bow fly. They were feeding on the carcasses of the dead bees. The ants ate the maggots too. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!