iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkeys Gobbling ?

Started by Autocar, March 08, 2011, 09:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Anybody hearing any yet ? I can't wait till I get to Florida  ;D I don't even have to kill them anymore I just get a kick out of calling them in and seeing them do what ever a turkey dose to pass his time.  :D
Bill

celliott

We just got another 30" of snow here, it'll be into late April, early May for us.  Turkey season starts May 1st  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Magicman

Yup, they are gobbling their fool heads off here.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Not here, yet......
I'm heading up to the Highland Maple Festival on the 18th. I'll hopefully hear some while we're up there at our property. We were up there in mid December and heard 6 or so roost one night, then come off the roost the next morning. Couldn't see them that morning as it was snowing sideways. Spring Gobbler starts in VA in a little more than a month.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Our Youth season opened last Saturday, and our regular season opens this Saturday the 12th.  I had about a half dozen Jakes in my Cabin front yard this morning.  They are not legal for adults, but still fun to watch.  I have a few long beards that keep posing for my trail camera.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MtnDon

We saw a dozen along the highway 2 weeks ago just below the snow line. Spring season starts Apr 15

CX3

on good warm mornings they will gobble a little here.  But its still a little early
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

chain

Don't know if you all went through the 'silence of the gobblers' as we  did here in SEMO. Ongoing debate of why gobblers don't 'gobble' like they use to. Theory was that the boss gobblers that were 'overly-sexed' gobbled longest and loudest, therefore, getting shot-out over the years and more silent type gobblers now roam the woods, possibly gobbling once then flying off the roost.

When scouting I look for the signs of an old silent gobbler; a scratch here a scratch there and maybe find his dusting bed or strutting marks, 'j' droppings and feathers. Gobbling is rare in our woods.

beenthere

chain
No such debate in WI. Tom's gobble continuously here.

Now, what is we are not supposed to do, so they don't quit? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

Don't shoot the boss gobler.....

;)

submarinesailor

Quote from: chain on March 09, 2011, 12:17:38 PM
Don't shoot the boss gobler..... ;)

Does he wear a name tag so we know which one is the boss gobbler???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

Magicman

Normally, it we do happen to shoot the boss gobbler, he is not there to intimidate the two year old birds and they will really start gobbling.

beenthere

My experience is shooting the boss gobler means getting the biggest (or nearly so) one.

2-3 years ago I shot a gobbler, and hung it in a tree by the back legs. Had a webinar broadcast to watch, so came inside. Hour later headed out to weigh the tom and found another tom hanging onto it and swinging it around. Took pics, and some video. In the meantime, a third tom came strutting in to join the frackus. I walked over to it to see yet a fourth tom coming at the circus. Have been told that I shot the boss tom and the others were getting in their licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMIRg_8FGA
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I've had several instances where I shot one gobbler and another jumped on the flopping one.  One even tried to breed the dying bird.

Autocar

Beenthere thats a cool vido ! I never get enough turkey hunting , Iam going to Florida next week then probably Indiana and then Ohio. Last year I went to Texas and hunted easterns on the east side then a week later went to west Texas for Reio's. Ive never heard so much gobbling as they go nuts in west Texas. But like some said Florida there gobble once or twice on the roast then slience. But over the years I have heard them gobble till two or three in the afternoon up in the pan handle. In southern Indiana Ive heard them gobble at two and three in the morning. Its not about killing turkeys for me but just being out there enjoying the outdoors  ;)
Bill

chain

Quote from: Magicman on March 09, 2011, 10:29:11 PM
I've had several instances where I shot one gobbler and another jumped on the flopping one.  One even tried to breed the dying bird.

You havn't been feeding those turkeys sour mash, have you? Sounds really kinky to me :D.

I think there were several factors on our turkeys becoming silent, first, was the hunting pressure; heavy poaching, attrition and hitting a low cycle in breeding success. Secondly, folks went to feeding the turkeys all year round; domesticating something wild is never good, I don't think. And thirdly, a large increase in predators of turkeys, their eggs and poults, such as raccoon, skunks, snakes, hawks and owls, also a rumor of a turkey disease in parts of the Ozarks cut in to the breeding birds.

What I'm saying is from the first decade I hunted turkeys the quality and success of hunting was excellent and yes, we had turkeys that gobbled all day, and all night, and old 'boss' was  waiting for you, gobbling at dawn. It was too easy, but there's nothing so pleasing as the turkey woods in springtime.

clww

I've been fortunate enough with my military career to have been home for at least a week every spring gobbler season, so I've hunted them religously since '79. Where I hunt, it's always been hit or miss in regards to the toms gobbling. If they are vocal that year, then they have been everywhere. On the flip side, if they aren't gobbling a given year, I can go to several different areas, seperated by many miles and not hear a peep anywhere. I still don't know why, either...
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

All quite here.They're too busy eating the deer grain.Quite the sight to see 12-16 turkeys eating underneath 8-10 deer.Still snow on the ground.Maybe they are saving it for bare ground. Or waiting for me to feed them some grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Last week...I think it was last week........We were having a thunder snow storm and every time the thunder would crack the gobblers would answer  ;D  ;D

It was rain/snowing too.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

clww

I've heard gobblers sounding off during a thunderstorm like that before. I've heard them gobble at a passing train's horn, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Burlkraft

I just got back from a trip to town.
There were 6 Sandhill cranes out standing in the field across the road from the house.

Kinda early for them. I saw a robin yesterday too. All standing in at least 8" of new snow!

The robin looked cold  :D :D

Obviously they were conned into the global warming fantasy  :D :D :D

Autocar

Burlkraft there probably standing around grumbling about the leader bird saying O its nice up north !  :D
Bill

Burlkraft

Quote from: Autocar on March 12, 2011, 08:28:10 AM
Burlkraft there probably standing around grumbling about the leader bird saying O its nice up north !  :D

:D :D :D :D

Magicman

Today was the first opening day of turkey season that I've missed in over 40 years.  A Grandson was playing baseball and asked me to come to the game.  Priorities !!!   :)

sandhills

MM, I'd say you got those "priorities" straight  :).  Turkeys here are still bunched up but with a little warmer weather the hens will start spreading out to nest.

Thank You Sponsors!