iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch and trailer to load logs

Started by SCSawyer, January 03, 2009, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I would go w/ 8 bolt axles for sure, AND deck over. Some deck overs have steel plates instead of wood over the tire area to enable them to be lower to the ground, I need to do that w/ this one, it will be 4" lower. Additionally, I use Goodyear "G" tires they are full steel cased tires and have little to NO sway when heavily loaded (common occurence ;)).  It's not me in the pics.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

If I had a trailer with sides or fenders that were in the way of parbuckiling, I would mill two or three beams 2-3 inches taller than the sides or fenders and place them front to back width wise across the deck.  That way the logs wouldn't crash down into the trailer and you could peavy them right on your mill deck or fork them off the sides when you got home.  I suppose you could come up with stakes also, but a good set of chain binders should do you.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ErikC

Even when you don't care about raising them over the rails or whatever, putting a few 2 or 3" boards crossways on the trailer before loading is a good idea. It is easy to get a chain or choker under the logs to lift them out with a tractor, and the lumpy spots on the logs will not damage the deck of your trailer.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Hilltop366

Just wondering if anyone uses or has seen a trailer with a log loader like a WM sawmill would have, seems to me that if it works for a sawmill it would work for a trailer.

If it was built with a loader arm in between a L & a U shape it could unload the logs as well.

Just a thought.

Ironwood

Hilltop,

#$%^ that is a great idea! I had not heard/ thought of that before.  :P Learning.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

teenswinger built himself one of those side loaders for his trailer.  It's pretty slick. :)  He uses a hand operated hydraulic lift for loading.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

bck

Quote from: jim blodgett on May 09, 2009, 10:22:49 AM

But you folks who winch these heavy logs up onto your trailers with high sides - how do you get the logs out when you get home? 

Build the sawmill the same height as the trailer and you will only have to roll log @3'

I agree with 5200 axles minimum.  Having the trailer floor higher than the top of tires really helps me.

coldnorth

Similar to some other guys on here.  Here is what I use.  Simple winch off an old truck (8000lb) run by a small honda engine driving thru an old lawn tractor transaxle.  Winch logs up ramps by rocking log with cant hook.  I use a rope on the winch belt-tightener clutch handle to work winch from rear of trailer when I am alone.  Works even better if I have help.  We have also winch logs in from a back yard that we couldn't drive in with my small log arch pulled by the winch.  We don't have much money here, but have lots of fun!  ;)

Have a great day!
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

TeenSwinger

Quote from: metalspinner on May 11, 2009, 07:59:00 AM
teenswinger built himself one of those side loaders for his trailer.  It's pretty slick. :)  He uses a hand operated hydraulic lift for loading.
The one that I built is basically a copy of the woodmizer loader arms on there hydraulic mills.
If one was going to do it more often he could hook it up to a hydraulic pump run by a small engine.   
Sorry no pic. got dial up.
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

kelLOGg

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 09, 2009, 07:49:04 AM
I have a small but heavy tilt bed trailer and pull them over the fantail Frank C.

Frank,

Do you have pics of your trailer?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: DanG on January 06, 2009, 02:41:08 PM
Quote from: Jerry on January 06, 2009, 09:32:50 AM
Love to saw but don't want to get in a hurry like to take my time if I don't saw but 1 log a day.

Keep workin' at it Jerry, and you'll eventually get the hang of this retirement thing.  I sawed half of a log Sunday and ran out of gas.  Went and got gas yesterday, then sawed the other half log this morning.  I think I'll take a nap now. ;D 8) 8)
lol
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

dean herring

Jim my wife and I were in your neck of the woods back in October. We were in Bryson City. We absolutely loved it. We're already planning a go back hopefully next year.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: dean herring on December 27, 2017, 08:43:00 PM
Jim my wife and I were in your neck of the woods back in October. We were in Bryson City. We absolutely loved it. We're already planning a go back hopefully next year.
PM me next time around and I'll open the gate for ya! 

hunterbuild

I've been lucky as most of the time loggers have loaded my trailer or truck for me for a $20 or so, but I've loaded some on my trailer by my self by lagging a board on the end of the log and lifting it with a handy man jack. then put a round under it. went I pull it toward the trailer with my winch the end comes up and over the end of trailer. I've loaded some big logs up to 20 plus feet. Usually only can get 4 or 5 on before I poop out.     

starmac

I have not tried this, but you guys that use a low deck utility trailer car type trailer and a winch should try it sometime.
My thought is to take an old junk truck wheel and put it in front of the log with your winch line over the top of it, I almost bet the log would ride up over it with no jacking or hang ups either.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

With a little scrap metal you can make a loader...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

whatwas

This works way better than I ever thought it would, I have a 8000lb warn 12v winch and the drill steel roller makes it easier. I can unplug and remove the trailer tail lights when loading/unloading (learned after breaking them off 2x) You can either unload by using the snatch block and winch or just chain the logs to a tree and drive away or lift them off using the backhoe.
life is good

goose63

With a 12.000 pound winch this works darn good for me
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Drarnold

I would go with the biggest winch you can afford, just in case you ever need the extra power.  I went with a 12,000 lb. winch.  I don't think it is necessary to be that big but i like the comfort of knowing it can handle most anything.  For my rig, I wish the trailer frame was stouter, but making sure to put block supports under concerned areas has made sure nothing has faltered.  I also made a hitch at the front of my trailer frame so I could easily take the winch off and store it.  Things like to walk away in my neighborhood, which is a shame.

Anyhow, I think with a little ingenuity you ought to be able to come up with something that works for you.  I spent alot of time looking at posts and threads like this one to see what folks were doing and what worked for them and tailoring it to what I had to work with rather than vying for an exact copy.  Really have enjoyed this thread.

50 Acre Jim

Drarnold, I enlarged the area where the arch connects to the trailer and it looks like the arch connects to a bracket that is attached to the trailer.  I think I see a pin that can be pulled out to disconnect it all.  But most of all it doesn't look like you use a very heavy gauge metal.  Are you happy with the way it handles heaver logs?

Sixacresand

I use a 12K winch for Parbuckling.   After the winch is used for a period of time, the battery weakens and we have use jumper cables from the truck.  My plan to add a gas engine and single pole alternator to maintain a charge on the battery.  Seems like a lot of equipment. I use to use a simple hand cranked windlass rig to parbuckle a 24 inch log onto my trailer.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Drarnold

50 Acre Jim the brackets and arch are made of 3/16" 2x3 tubing and the ears the pins slide through are 1/2 plate steel.  I am no metal worker but I supposed it was stout enough to handle most logs.  I haven't run into any problems with it so far.  No bending anywhere I have observed.  The receiver for the winch is lighter at only 1/8 but I haven't had any issues with that component either.  I was more concerned with the trailer frame flexing or bending but with some well placed blocking and dogleg jacks it has held up pretty good. 

Kbeitz

Running a 16,5 Warn on my setup. It will kill a battery real fast...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bags

I have a 12000lbs winch that mounts in a receiver hitch tube on the front of the trailer, so I can put it on any of my trailers or mount in in the hitches on any of my pickups. The log arch just sits in any of the stake pockets on the trailer--- I can put a bolt in the bottom hole of the arch mount if I want to move the trailer around with the winch line disconnected from the arch 

at a landing while pulling logs out of a pile of timber.

golddredger

I use a 12,000 pound winch mounted on the tongue of the trailer. I use ramps on either side and use the Parbuckle techniques with a snatch block on the opposite side of the trailer. I could fold my trailer in half with this thing but it rolls logs up with ease. Pretty pleased with the setup. I tried the flip bar from the back thats a pain in the butt. I like to roll them on from the side just like you would with the cable setup on a bandmill.

Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Thank You Sponsors!