iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking / Talon Sharpener and Dual Tooth Setter

Started by vfauto, January 03, 2012, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

I was wondering if anyone has tryed or heard anything about these products from Timber King? They look simple and are less expensive than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWp3Ku89UT4
Talon Sharpener and Talon Dual Tooth Setter
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Chuck White

Looks like a nice setter!

Seems to work real smooth.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

xlogger

I've got the TK sharpener and setter but just got it and have not used it yet. I got it when I got the used mill. The guy I got it from when over it so fast, I'm glad you found the Youtube on it. I've looked for one and could not find it. I hope to try to use it later in the week and will let you know how I did. Maybe I should call TK and see if they have anymore video's on them. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bandmiller2

Looks to be simple and effective eqipment.Only thing it doesn't look like the sharpener is profiling the whole gullet.I don't see a cam or the wheel dressing the top of the tooth only a face grind.Would be an interesting experiment same everything except sharpener and compare band life. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Frank, the wheel is not hitting the whole gullet but is touching the top tip of the tooth after he adjusted it a bit lower.  My grinder most often does the same on the first sharpening and if I took a bit off the bottom of the wheel it would get the whole gullet but I don't bother on the first sharpening. The 2nd sharpening will get the whole gullet.     Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Your right Steve,I just looked at it again.Not a professional grade sharpener but probibly would do fine for 90 percent of bandmillers. Frank C.

ladylake

I'd not rate the quality untill I saw one in person, just cuz it's simple doesn't mean it's not built good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Vfauto,I looked on TK's site and didn't see the grinder just the setter,must be real new.If the price is reasonable it looks like it will do the job. Frank C.

davey duck

I looked it up it was on the next page or two and its on sale for 999.00 it looks like a nice grinder.
David G.Fleming

customsawyer

Looks to me like it will do the job. It would take some adjusting the same as any other brand but I think it would do fine. There will be a learning curve just like any new piece of equipment.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tommone

The Talon sharpener looks strong, elegant and well made even though it only grinds the tooth front. If a wider grinding wheel was used and profiled to the full tooth shape do you think it could grind gullet an' all? Or is the motor HP too weak for an operation like that. Maybe the total friction would generate too much heat causing tooth bluing and upset the metal structure.  Just pondering. Anyone know  the HP of the grinding wheel motor?

barbender

$999 seems like a lot for a grinder that only hits the face of the tooth, or does the price include the setter too? I got my Cook's profile grinder for $1500 on sale.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

This grinder hit the whole profile of the tooth, maybe not on the first sharpening on some blades. Cant figure out where this only hits the face thing came from.  Look closely at the vid again.  And the price is right.   Steve

bandmiller2

You know where it came from Steve.I wonder if its adjustable for different pitches 3/4,7/8, and 1"? Frank C.

ladylake

I'd guess a different cam would take care of different tooth spacing like most grinders.  Maybe someone from TK will set us straight.  I run a Wright sharpener sold by TK for quite a few years that has served me well, never had anything but top quality come from TK.    Steve

xlogger

I grinded my first blade last night on my TK (Wright) grinder. Now to see if I know what I was doing :-\. I'll try it this weekend after I dull the one I have now off. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 05, 2012, 09:05:01 PM
You know where it came from Steve.I wonder if its adjustable for different pitches 3/4,7/8, and 1"? Frank C.

Frank. I was wondering why in some later posts the hitting the face only thing kept coming up. I too thought it was only hitting the face untill he adjusted it a bit lower and it started hitting the top tip of the tooth, I'd think on the 2nd sharpening it will get the whole gullet.   Steve

tommone

Looked at the Talon video again, my mistake. The grinding wheel does eventually grind into the gullet but not yet convinced it grinds the back of the tooth.

TimGA

Hey guys, I have the sharpener and setter. The sharpener grinds it all face, gullet, back. Like Steve said 1st grind just face. 2nd time lower stone gets into gullet. 3rd time up the back. Like Customsawer said takes a little getting used to. You have to put a small radius on grinding wheel to match gullet profile. A rock is provided with machine to make profile. It is adjustable to do different pitches, a little tedious, I only do 7/8 ths. I start at the weld and let it go have not timed it aprox 4 to 5 min, per round. I use an engraver and # next to the weld for each sharpening works well easy to read. I would say it does a very good job, should last a long time.         The setter I am Just starting to use. I read the directions 2Xs Before starting setup. It took quite a while READ CAREFULLY the setup procedure. As I have only used this on a few blades I am still learning. It does appear that it is going to work quite well though. Very simple process once you understand the settings. Setter is built well will last a long time.  I got my sharpener free on saw deal. The setter was 850.00 at the time. TK runs specials on these items ocassionally.   Hope this helps.   Sorry to be longwinded tryed to tell it all at once.      Tim       
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

ladylake

Tim   Try moving that slide on the top of the machine out some, that should give you a little less up-down movement resulting in following the profile better on the first grinding.  My Wright grinder is quite a bit different but if I shim the hieght adjustment rod in or out I can make it follow the profile of almost any blade, this changes quite a bit going from a 10* to 4* hook angle. I really don't worry about hitting the whole profile untill the 3rd sharpening.    Steve

tommone

Tim, thanks for explaining that, different but effective.

barbender

Sorry, I didn't watch the video before I posted before. Definitely a profile grinder, and it looks like a nice setup for $999.
Too many irons in the fire

TimGA

Steve,  You can adjust the length of advance arm for different pitches, there are different holes. The blade is riding on 2 roller brgs that can be adjusted up and down, the front plate ( as the video shows ) has wing nuts that adjust spring pressure against blade plate. The blade does not move up down, forward or backward during advancement or grinding when adjusted, very easy set up. No problem grinding profile as there is no movement on blade. Not quite sure this adresses the issue you were speaking of, if not please let me know, I don't want to miss somthing.    By the way the video has a lot to be desiered, way to fast not explained well at all, I believe they could sell a lot more of these items if they took a little more time in making it.  Thanks Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

tommone

Tim, one small question, how do you grind the back of the tooth ? Can you alter the angle of the grinding wheel assembly relative to the horizontal line of action of the bandsaw blade?. Tom.

TimGA

Tom,  Sorry taking so long to get back to you.  As to your 1st question , the back of the tooth is ground as the blade is advancing and the grinding wheel is rising up, it comes from the gullet all the way up the back to the top of the tooth. 2nd question was can you change the angle of the grinding wheel YES loosen bolts on back of grinding wheel arm and adjust to whatever angle grind you like. I do alot of pine 10 degree works fine for me have not tried anything else yet.  If you look on TK website look at Talon Sharpener in store, click on view you will see they offer a instruction video, I got one with my sharpener not to bad. If your intrested call ask for Matt in sales see if he will send you one tell him Tim in Quitman Georgia told you to call.  Hope this helps   

Thank You Sponsors!