iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

toeboard mods for 95 lt40 hyd

Started by Joey Grimes, October 05, 2015, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

We've been cutting a good bit small cedar and the toeboards don't always hit log so it takes one person to raise log while I clamp it. I would like to upgrade to the new style rollers but wondering is there a simple mod I could do to hit smaller logs?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Magicman

Even then, there will be some that do not hit.  Wedges and other improvisions will always exist.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joey Grimes

Could I bolt a angle to the knife? I know to wouldn't be a good idea for large logs but small ones maybe
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Joey Grimes

Chuck White

If you're doing lots of small stuff, I can't see where it would hurt anything to add the angle iron to the toeboard knife!

I think that if I was going to do it, I'd drill 2 holes in the knife and tap them for the size bolts you intend to use, then drill the angle iron to match it!

That way, you wouldn't have to worry about losing one of the nuts in the sawdust, just 3 pieces, the angle iron, and 2 bolts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

I understand that you have improvise with blocks, wedges, sacrifice boards to mill short/small stuff.  But what is a toe board knife?  My mill may have one and I don't know what it is called.  A photo would be great.  (somebody on the Forum said the only dumb question is the one not asked.  I'm using that rule, now)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

deadfall

On the manual mill, at least on the LT-30 I had in the late '80s, the manual toe boards were made of flat bar, I think quarter inch, and the log sat on the knife edge of it.  Now that I have an HD, I loves me them rollers. 

I see that the mill in question is a HYD.  Didn't the '95s have hydraulic roller toe boards?
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

deadfall

After reading this over, I don't know if small logs means length or diameter.  Now I too am wondering about what the knife in question might be.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

47sawdust

I keep a variety of spacer blocks on hand to adjust for taper.It is faster and works well on small diameter logs.As mentioned the toeboards on the manual WM don't work on small logs.A pair of roller style toeboards would be real nice but I don't know how to fab that up on my Lt30,non-hydraulic.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

On the Hydraulic sawmills "prior to the roller toe boards" there is a flat piece of metal about 3/8x2x10 (approx) welded on top of the toe board ram, some refer to this as a toe board knife!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

okmulch

Sawing cedar I keep a 1 inch by 2 inch by 8 inch piece of wood to use as a shim in place of the toe board. I watch the log as it is rolled on to the mill and if needed which it usually is I pick up the small end and slide it under to shim the small end. I can do this faster then using a hydraulic toe board.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

starmac

Can the later model roller toeboards be added to the older lt40hd's, or is it something a guy would have to fab up?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Chuck White

I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure that the old type toeboards can be swapped out and roller toeboards put in!

A call to Wood-Mizer will verify that for sure!

Jim_Rogers

I upgraded my 94 lt30 to the roller toe boards.
I got the kit from WM.
It came with two new bed rails with mounting brackets for the rollers. Two pieces of hose to extend the lines to the pistons. And a bracket to hold the pistons. Also springs to retrack the rollers.
It wasn't hard to change everything and it works good still.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

uler3161

I upgraded my '89 model with the roller toeboards. Easy upgrade.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

starmac

Thanks guys, just the answer I was wanting to hear, often the answer I get is not something I want to hear.
Now to check with woodmier and get prices, but I think I will want them.

Remle

Quote from: starmac on October 09, 2015, 02:01:13 AM
Thanks guys, just the answer I was wanting to hear, often the answer I get is not something I want to hear.
You could just move the front toe board to the other side of the rail it is attached to and move it over to the main beam. If you set it so the edge is about 2 1/2 half inches from the main rail you,  will also be able to hold up the side lumber to edge it as well.

starmac

Quote from: Remle on October 09, 2015, 07:03:35 PM

You could just move the front toe board to the other side of the rail it is attached to and move it over to the main beam. If you set it so the edge is about 2 1/2 half inches from the main rail you,  will also be able to hold up
Quote from: Remle on October 09, 2015, 07:03:35 PM

The rollers is what I want, it is the ability to move the log or cant bach and forth that I like.
You could just move the front toe board to the other side of the rail it is attached to and move it over to the main beam. If you set it so the edge is about 2 1/2 half inches from the main rail you,  will also be able to hold up the side lumber to edge it as well.

Thank You Sponsors!