iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moving forwarders

Started by nativewolf, June 01, 2018, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Guys thanks for all the insight from the forum on forwarders.  We're looking at a few and  have a question re trucking them.  Anyone ever pay to truck an overwidth piece of equipment across several states or from canada?  Any insight?  Any good brokers?  The machines are about 9'6" wide, almost 12' tall.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

You weigh the cost between making it legal (pulling wheels and cribbing up the frame with dunnage) vs paying for the permits.  Depending on labor cost and capability to do this, vs which states it is going through, you may be money ahead to just buy the permits and run it oversize.  And obviously the next factor, maybe the biggest, is the current spot markets, theres more trucks out during summer due to construction season, so that is kinda in your favor.  

But beware, heavy haul is not dryvan.  
These guys tend to be old timer pros and they dont beg for loads.  Most will not run the truck out unless the rate is good enough to deadhead all the way home.  Expect the rate to start at $3/mile min.  Theres more loads than trucks and oversize gets more money than any other for obvious reasons.  Its the hardest niche in trucking.

The heavy haul section of truckersreport.com forums is where that crowd mingles with their online buddies.  You can probably find someone there if you dont want to deal with brokers.  And theyll definitely give the best advice possible.  You want a spaceshuttle moved, those are the guys.
Praise The Lord

Stuart Caruk

My Barko Log loader came down from Canada. It was just under 13' 6" wide. He had 2 pilots cars to the border. He got there too late to come across at the truck crossing, so he came through the Peace Arch crossing. They informed him that he could be 13'6" on a federal highway with no pilot cars so he left them and headed on down. It cost me $3600 to ship it here to SW Washington. Heck of a deal I thought.

He brought my Clark 666 skidder down for $1600.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

mike_belben

Those do sound like good prices.  Years back the best price i could find to move a TD15 crawler loader (legal load) from MA to TN was $7500 so i didnt buy it.  

Yesterday i was quoted $2100 for a power only move, legal 48ft dryvan hook and drop one way, MA-->TN.
Praise The Lord

Southside

9'6" is no big deal, just needs flags / flashers / signs and the paperwork, at least in the US.  The big question is the weight too, I can't imagine they are terribly heavy, but you need to know for sure.  With fuel where it is now you are probably looking at around $4.00 / mile plus the permit cost.  

Depending on how far into Canada you may want to look at having two carriers do the job, one to bring to or across the port and the other to do the US side of the job.  The reason is a Canadian trucking company can't do point to point trucking in the US, so a Canadian company who comes out of Quebec needs to find something going back into Canada or he is dead heading back, which brings your rate up.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

My Timbco came out of Lakeshore Eq in wakefield MI, cost me 6500 about 5yrs ago, about 1300 miles, permitted every state. I've had 2 machines brought from N-NH and they where 2500-is each. You can try it thru U-ship but I'm leery of them, usually the bigger dealers have someone they work with for shipping. 

nativewolf

Much appreciated advice and insight.  It's about 700 miles or less, have to go from Canada to NY, NJ/DE or PA , MD to VA.

We'll see just talking with them.  Wonder what permits would be?  
Liking Walnut

Ken

Not sure which province your getting the machine in but 9'6" wide and 12' tall is not an issue in NB with a lowbed.  Can't imagine that a machine that size would present too many challenges to get moved.  What model of a machine are you looking at?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Southside is right on checking to see on multiple trucks or getting it to the border and re-trucked. When I sold my Hydro Ax no company down here would go over the border with it, it got unloaded at the border, thru customs and reloaded. Not quite sure how it works, I know I've heard guys talk about hiring brokers for the process and paperwork. 

I dont know what your looking for but theres a pile of decent iron here stateside, AIS has some decent low hour machines, theres a guy in VA with a couple forwarders for sale. honestly I'm seeing the best iron deals lately on the logger pages on FB, alot of guys throwing in the towel and if you watch stuff is going cheap. 

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 01, 2018, 11:35:33 PM
Southside is right on checking to see on multiple trucks or getting it to the border and re-trucked. When I sold my Hydro Ax no company down here would go over the border with it, it got unloaded at the border, thru customs and reloaded. Not quite sure how it works, I know I've heard guys talk about hiring brokers for the process and paperwork.

I dont know what your looking for but theres a pile of decent iron here stateside, AIS has some decent low hour machines, theres a guy in VA with a couple forwarders for sale. honestly I'm seeing the best iron deals lately on the logger pages on FB, alot of guys throwing in the towel and if you watch stuff is going cheap.
Logger pages on FB?  Really, new to me, I've got to take a look.  

I've been down to see the ones in VA.  That Valmet tires are shot, I mean you might get a lucky but you better bank on 8 new tires.   Controls in cab are funky and they had to get a mechanic to come back to work to get it working.  Otherwise that was ok, crane seal was leaking fluid, forgot that.  That Valmet is under consideration but I need to find someone that knows that control system as it's a bit old.  My biggest concern with that one is that it's going to need several tires before the end of the year and finding an expert on the joystick speed control dial that seems to be out.  It's basically about what we are looking for but right now only the 1 mechanic can drive it.  

The timberjack has a parking brake that is not releasing.  That scares me the as the brakes are fighting the transmission the entire time it is moving.  Mennonite logger that wheels and deals in equipment and runs a gov planet auction site (the irony there is huge, he can't actually run the computers, he hires people to do almost everything).  Anyhow that Timberjack could be looking at major repairs if that continues and who knows if they were driving it very long like that.  Spent a few hours with the mechanics and thought the timberjack was nice; that error had gone unsolved by the two mechanics and that worried me.  They had a nicer newer timberjack also for sale, too much for me.

Basically I'm looking for a somewhat high hour forwarder, that can help me keep some of our selective harvest a bit more presentable.  We won't kill it hours wise and have a decent mechanic.  If this works we'll try adding a processor later in the year.  6 or 8 wheel forwarder so not a Franklin or older Timberjack like yours (read all your posts and others on 4 wheel vs 8 wheels).  We've got some runs that are almost a mile long and a forwarder would be so much better on the sites.  Plus hand fellers would not be waiting for 30 mins for the skidder to get back and lift a log off a pinched saw (not me...not me...just uh..an example).
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Eric I don't really do FB much.  Is there some specific logging section?
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

We just put new tires on our 1210 a set of 4 was about 9k, our fronts are bald but we tightened up the tracks and are able to get around. What size is the Timberjack? 

Riwaka

Depending on what type of timber you are working in and how much you are paid you might consider different ways for the machinery portfolio.
If you can chain saw cut short lengths, you might load the short logs with a skidder pulled log crane trailer, if you don't have much to do. (if you already have a skidder)
Forwarding trailer for cable skidder do they work good? in Forestry and Logging

Depending on the tree type - felling head on a track machine might be more affordable and have a lower maintenance cost than a processor/ machine base.
A person with a chainsaw making logs on a skid can often see log defects better than a processor operator out in the cutover making logs. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 02, 2018, 12:30:12 AM
We just put new tires on our 1210 a set of 4 was about 9k, our fronts are bald but we tightened up the tracks and are able to get around. What size is the Timberjack?
1410b.  They are also selling the 1510e which is much nicer, newer but out of my $ range.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

More then likely it's an electrical connection issue, parking brake on that will be a cylinder that's adjustable. 

nativewolf

Quote from: nativewolf on June 02, 2018, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on June 02, 2018, 12:30:12 AM
1410b.  They are also selling the 1510e which is much nicer, newer but out of my $ range.
The tires on the Valmet are deeply gouged on the inside sidewalls, like really really bad.  Not sure what they were doing but ...way past my comfort level and tires are one of the few things I think I'm at all capable of discussing.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 02, 2018, 10:54:12 AM
More then likely it's an electrical connection issue, parking brake on that will be a cylinder that's adjustable.
Right..that's what the two mechanics discussed with me, they were unable to figure what part of the wiring system was shorting out or throwing errors.  It might be that a capable JD/Timberjack mechanic could figure it out.  They want 48k for it and it has 15k or so hours.  Not terrible for that machine, probably 5k more hours without too many issues if it is possible to debug the brake issues.  It would be a much cheaper haul to our shop, that's for sure (1000 bucks or so).  They want to move them so they may do a deal.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

I'd have to look in my operators manual at the diagram I will say they're different to use. 

mike_belben

Give delks a call in crossville tn.  That guy probably knows every machine from kentucky to georgia.  I find a lot of cheap forestry iron comes out of south east kentucky.  

Schmidt equipment in springfield mass had a pair of forwarders in the lot a long time. Maybe still there.  Look for machines north of you and close to cities.  Theres always a glut of empty trucks looking for southbound loads.   81 is the primary route back into the south so its favorable for you.  No tolls, cheap fuel and best truckstops.  Altho michigan seems to be forwarder country more than anywhere. 

If you want to ever find an excavator or dozer, new york city is the untapped sugar hole.  The difficulty of NYC makes no one shop there, but the richness and publicity of construction projects makes machines get replaced when they start looking ratty.  My crawler loader backhoe came from flatbush brooklyn.. $7 grand.  Lived indoors, new bottom, perfect shape.   Theres just no backyard farm buyer in the city to drive up price.  
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Great insight on the NYC equipment market. I have seen telehandlers there for good prices.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

The trucking is a real pain.  City truckers dont want to leave the city.  Interstate truckers dont want to enter the city, and everyone hates crossing connecticut.  
Praise The Lord

Southside

Not to mention the fact every bridge you cross will cost you $100. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

can this sort of equipment be shipped by rail? Just wondering.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Probably but trucking will be cheaper I'm willing to bet.

Southside

The width would be a problem for starters.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!