iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction with a question

Started by firetwofire, February 04, 2011, 12:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firetwofire

Hi my name is Josh I run a high-end cabinet shop in Reno, NV. We have started to notice a hug trend with our business over the last year in that customers are going from the very modern look to modern with a old world look. We have purchased over 100 old pine and fir beam over the last year and have resawn them with my Alaskan chain sawmill to use as accents in the house. We have just up graded to a 1988 woodmizer LT40 and now hope to use this and expand on our resawing capabilities and business.

Q – I see that most resaw company's charge a set-up cost of around $20 then .35-.45 a board ft. But if I have some one bringing me a beam to resaw once are you guys using the same price break down? It seams to me charging around $4 for a cut is really cheap.

Q- Does any one have any connections with large pine or fir old barn wood?

RalphV

Hi Josh,

I have worked with a few shops around Reno and Lake Tahoe.  Beautiful place!

How wide are the beams you are currently working with?  How often do you need the work done?  Depending on species, I may be able to hook you up with some material in the Western US.  Also can make a few calls to see if there are better resaw options for you out there.

Would be happy to talk with you about it.

Ralph
Always looking for good used equipment!  Like to talk machines...I am in!

ARKANSAWYER

I charge $0.25 bdft to saw lumber and if someone brings me a beam to resaw I charge the same price and $20 for blades if I hit something in the beam.  Yes $4.00 may seem cheap for a cut but you should be able to 20 or 30 of them in an hour.
 You can saw pine and sit it out in the sun and it will age in about 6 months.
  And Welcome and we like pictures of stuff you make and do.
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

Welcome, firetwofire, to the Forestry Forum.  I charge hourly rate to make specialty cuts, but my business is geared toward sawing lumber from logs.  Handling beams, etc. is more than simply sawing.  That handling time has to be considered as part of the saw job, which would/could drastically increase your bf charge.

Thus, hourly rate for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firetwofire

Ralph
Looking for hand hewn timber pine, fir, pop, ECT with lots of character. 6x6 8x8 10x10 and 12x12 and as long as possible and need a truck load 4-5000 bft (maybe more). Let me know what you have. I just brought in 8800 bft and it all looks like square plain old lumber (not happy)

here is a table I just maid. check out my web site for pics of my cabinets. www.newfacescabinetry.com

Thank You Sponsors!