iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best/ strongest wood glue?

Started by LaneC, October 11, 2014, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello All,
  I know there will be different opinions on this subject, however, if I can get several suggestions or opinions that recommend a certain type or brand name, then that is what I will lean towards. I was wondering which would be a good all around glue for gluing different types of wood together. Mainly for building small furniture or cupboards. As usual, any advice, instruction, or criticism :) is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Man makes plans and God smiles

Den-Den

Assuming that you are using domestic wood that is dry; ordinary yellow wood glue is good enough (stronger than most wood).  I like "Titebond Orginal" but the quality of the joinery is much more important than the brand of glue.
For oily woods (cocobola, etc.) there are probably better options.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

LaneC

Thanks den-den. That is the exact kind of answers I am looking for. Thanks again.

Mooseherder

I've been using tightbond II and am happy with the results.  It sets up quick and hasn't failed yet.

scsmith42

Tightbond 2 is pretty much the most used wood glue, with Titebond 3 becoming a favorite for outdoor work.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

giant splinter

Ill stand in line with the Tightbond crowd, it is dependable and available everywhere.
roll with it

WDH

Titebond III for me.  Has a little longer open time, so not as stressful in a large glue-up.  I have never had any of the elmers or titebond yellow glues fail except when it was too cold to use them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ron barnes

I use Titebond III.  I like the longer timeframe allowed for glueups.  I have used Elmers but have had a cutting board joint to fail on one of many.

Seaman

I have a friend who is THE glue guy for Columbia Carolina, which is a HUGR plywood company. He flys all over the place solving and advising them. He told me they buy Tight Bond by the train tanker , lots of it, and except for a few specialty jobs, that's as good as it gets.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

isawlogs

I am also a Titebond III user, not that the yellow carpenter glue has ever done me wrong. Titebond is about as good as glue gets for wood glue ups.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I am also in the Titebond corner.  It just works.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I have good luck with the new Elmer's
I like Titebond also .
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

LaneC

Man, I hit the jackpot! It seems as though probably 4 out of 5 agree :D :D :D :D. Thanks a bunch for the input. Without a doubt, if I ever need any I will go with the titebond. By the tanker load, man that is a lot of horses :D :D :D. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

LaneC

re-read. Make that about 9 out of 10. Whew, that is a new record ;D Thanks again.

clww

I use Titebond II or III for 97.5% of everything! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gfadvm

I use both Titebond II and III.  But I try to avoid TBIII on light colored woods as it will leave a very dark colored glue line.

I have been told that yellow glues don't work well for Ipe and Jatoba but I have glued both with TBII and III and never seen a problem.

hardtailjohn

I like Titebond too, for stuff around the shop....but if it's got stress and strain on it, I'm a West System Epoxy guy all the way!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

jueston

i use titebond3 for everyday glueing, i like the longer open time. but more and more i use CA glue for decorative parts that don't see a lot of stress, because i'm impatient.

as others have said, the tightness of the joint is much more important than the glue in most application.

MattJ

I also use titebond and have tried their new clear drying and no-run formulations and really like them.  I also had a friend who is a glue chemist for a finnish plywood company and he said if you glue oily woods with titebond just wipe them before gluing with an alcohol soaked rag to remove the oil and they will glue just fine.  I tried it on rosewood and bubinga with great results.

LaneC

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like Titebond is a huge winner.

hackberry jake

I use the orginal formula for most of my indoor work. I splurge on II and III if I think it will ever see much moisture.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Don_Papenburg

I used to use the Titebond a lot . now I tend to grab my tube of PL premium construction adhesive
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

beenthere

Don
I like that Loctite PL too for construction, but how do you handle keeping it ready to use between the times it is needed?
Put a plug in the opened spout to keep it from drying??

Wouldn't use it in place of a Titebond or white glue in an edge glued-up panel.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lud

TB III for me.  Bit higher price but you can count on it! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

petefrom bearswamp

Titebond here all 3 formulas for different applications.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!