iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next year's firewood supply....Done!

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2018, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I had collected 10 Red Oak rounds ~18"-20" diameter for next year's firewood supply.  Since it was not raining this afternoon, I had an opportunity to split it.   splitwood_smiley

This whack is ~6' in diameter at the base and will easily be enough firewood for next Winter.

I was sorta tuckered out (old saying) when I finished so I'll wait until next week to haul it to the woodshed and stack.   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Do you have a lot of wind in your area? Those houses look like they were all built by the third pig.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I burn more wood than that just boiling maple sap.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

HA Ha, I was thinking that might take care of july, but then he did say it had to be carried to the woodshed, maybe this is just what he needed to top it off.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

That is actually two pictures of the same wood stack.  Yup, enough for a long cold Winter.   fire_smiley   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

I drug all this up yesterday for next years wood. Gotta start getting the shed full.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Gearbox

MM that would last me about a week in January . Still at 2 full wheel barrow loads a day or more .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

pasbuild

Quote from: Gearbox on February 16, 2018, 08:58:35 PM
MM that would last me about a week in January . Still at 2 full wheel barrow loads a day or more .

X2
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Banjo picker

I don't even have this winter's wood up.  I thought I had enough, but that cold snap down to 7 degrees and then wouldn't get above freezing for I don't know how many days did my supply in.  I did have some white oak slabs that I had been saving for hard times and cut some of them the other day before I had my little surgery, and that might get me by.  If it don't I'll run the heat pump till spring.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Grizzly

These southerners down in tropical land sure do like to rub it in eh?  :) That should last 2 days here maybe even 3.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

blackfoot griz

Magicman

Oh?  What?  Did someone feel me rubbing it in??  Oh my, now you know that surely I would never ever do that.   :D :D

Dave Shepard

That's ok. I can take our cold better than I could take your heat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

We can agree on that for sure.  Last year we left this heat misery in July and migrated North to your country.  It was surely nice.

Magicman

Today was a short sleeve blue sky day so I decided to haul and stack my stash in the woodshed.  Most of my neighbors were all mowing their lawns.

The last load goes to the woodshed so I now have enough firewood for the next two winters.   ;D

olcowhand

MM,
Is your "Woodshed" about the size of a Porta- potty? While I'm envious of that Oak (We only have Beech, Maple, all our Ash is dead and gone, and the occasional Ironwood), that whack might last a couple days.
Also, what is that contraption sitting to the left of the pile in the first pic? I've seen them in front of some of the Stores, but I've never seen one in use. Is that what most people call a "Wood Splitter"? If I posted a pic of my Wood Splitter, she'd get mad (and I don't want to make her mad, today is our 29th Anniversary)!
Having said all that, we're about half way to next year's stack- which is the most headway we've ever made. 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

thecfarm

Double done. ;D ;D

I did forget to mention,that's the wood splitter to buy when it comes up for sale. Only used by a Little Old Man in Mississippi.     :D       :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

Maybe about 6 hours of wood ona winter day.  :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

coxy

marine5068

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2018, 05:13:35 PM
I had collected 10 Red Oak rounds ~18"-20" diameter for next year's firewood supply.  Since it was not raining this afternoon, I had an opportunity to split it.   splitwood_smiley

This whack is ~6' in diameter at the base and will easily be enough firewood for next Winter.

I was sorta tuckered out (old saying) when I finished so I'll wait until next week to haul it to the woodshed and stack.   smiley_sweat_drop
How much wood do you normally burn in a heating season down there?
I'm about 2 cords for my wood stove plus the 120 bags of wood pellets for the pellet stove.
Mainly Sugar Maple, Red Oak, Ash and Black Cherry.
Envirofire Evolution pellet stove
Century 2000 wood stove
Stihl MS291 18"
Stihl 044 28"
Forest King 30 ton logsplitter
Yardworks 4 ton electric wood-splitter
Echo SRM-3500
Kobalt 40v pole saw
Stihl FS 56
Black Knight splitting axe
Stanley vintage maul
Estwing hatchet w/sheath

Ianab

I've been cutting and splitting firewood too. Silly part is, we don't have a fireplace.  ::)

But I'm helping a friend with storm cleanup, and can use a spare shed at her place to stash some wood. Come end of winter there will be dozens of FB posts on the local buy/sell page "Anyone got any dry firewood to sell". Guess who will have some  ;D

Already sold 2 trailer loads to Lil's sister, but that was more of a charity case once the delivery distance was taken into account, but you cut family some slack.  A little stack of good hardwood like MM's would easily sell for $100 here in the middle of winter. I've putting away a mix of Sheoak ( VERY dense), alder and maple, and some pine / cypress / cedar. Softwoods for getting a cheery fire going quick, and some hardwoods for a long slower burn. 

When the windblown trees look like this, there is a LOT of firewood to be had. 
</br></br>

That's a 7 wire cattle fence wrapped around the root ball for scale. We are also taking bets about when the stump stands up again  :D 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Matt601

Quote from: marine5068 on March 22, 2018, 01:51:04 AM
Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2018, 05:13:35 PM
I had collected 10 Red Oak rounds ~18"-20" diameter for next year's firewood supply.  Since it was not raining this afternoon, I had an opportunity to split it.   splitwood_smiley

I was sorta tuckered out (old saying) when I finished so I'll wait until next week to haul it to the woodshed and stack.   smiley_sweat_drop
How much wood do you normally burn in a heating season down there?
I'm about 2 cords for my wood stove plus the 120 bags of wood pellets for the pellet stove.
Mainly Sugar Maple, Red Oak, Ash and Black Cherry.
I burn 3 cords this year in a open fire place. It was really cold for us this year. I never turn on my heat thow. 
No matter where you go there you are!!!

20ozjolt

Some what behind where I'm at now, but lots left to do. 

I've got way more to round and move to the piles but I should be selling off excess this year :-D

lots of cotton wood (crud wood but its free and buns), red alder, maple, some cherry, we'll see what else I get over the spring. 

Thank You Sponsors!