TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Recommend small saw for older guy?  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Savannahdan

• Retired.
    • Share Post
Re: Recommend small saw for older guy?
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
Another consideration is purchasing a used saw.  I recently picked up an electric Makita chainsaw from the Home Depot rental shop.  They post their offerings on the Home Depot website and you do need to check with the store about the availability.  The saw I purchased had little use works great and is in excellent condition.  Also, you can do a certain amount of haggling with them on the price.  The largest gas saw they have in the rental shop is a Makita 6401.  
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Offline TIDE-HSV

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 03:24:01 PM »
I'd like to 2nd or 3rd the idea of one of the battery-operated saws. I have two older Stihls - 026 and 019T. I just purchased a Husqvarna 372xp. I'm 78 but I wouldn't recommend the Husky for anyone in their 70s and worried about weight. However, I bought a Stihl MSA 120C and I've been delighted with it. I think it will put the 019 permanently out of business. I've cut up to 8" with it so far and I have no doubt it'll go up to the full 12" of the bar. It's got a lot of torque. It's light and I find myself pulling it out for small jobs I'd normally put off and aggregate until I gassed up the saw. With the little Stihl, it's just check the bar oil and go. I did purchase an extra battery but, so far, I haven't needed one...
I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline upnut

• Wood Tick
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
I agree, sold some other saws and ended up with a 241/120 combo, so far it has worked out well...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Offline TIDE-HSV

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »
My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.
The new battery saws seem to turn up just about as many rpms as a small gas saw. The old corded saws which I've seen didn't turn up many rpms at all. Except for the lack of noise, I could forget that I'm using an electric saw with the 120...
I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Offline Gary Davis

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »
I have a friend that is about 75 he up graded to  sthl 660 with a 32 in bar and still using it on a regular basis, and another friend that was running my ms 460 with a 32 in bar when he was 90 he couldn't start it but loved the way it cut

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
The 250 is a good and durable saw, i know lots of people who have them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Yep the little MS250 is a robust little saw from experience I had when I set one up for a treework customer.
Customers big complaint was it was hard to pull the starter rope, and he was in his 40s.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline knuckledragger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
Ms170 $179

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »
As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.
did a quick search for Echo dealers near zip 05473. there are a lot
the Echo 310 is light weight and starts easy.
Multitek 1610EZ, TimberKing 2000 & Talon Sharpener,
"let the machines do the work"

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
Did this a while back...have a few more video's coming up on the discussion of small gas powered saws vs. the new battery powered saws....the over lap is quickly getting to a point where it makes a lot of sense to consider a battery system for yard maintenance....:)

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, 365/Huztl 52mm build (Cyclops),562xp "HTSS", 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, 440e, Homelite 540, S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, 49sp, 621; Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline woodsdog2015

• Full Member x2
  • Newbie Woodcutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.
JohnMc,

I can tell you that my MS251 runs great and I have had no maintenance issues at all with it.  I just cut wood for heating my house and use my saw a lot.  I also have a MS362C and its a screamer but much heavier than my MS251.  I have an 18" bar on the MS251 and the only thing I did is switch from the green anti-kickback chain to the "yellow" stihl chain.  It is a .325 pitch, .050 RS63 Stihl Chain.  Really cuts nice.  This saw runs great.  My brother in law has the MS250 and he likes it too.  I can tell you that the  Stihl dealers I talk to around my area both stock and sell a lot of MS251's and MS250's.  They're reliable, light, and not outrageously expensive.   I have no experience with the MS211.   If your buddy wants a light, nimble and reliable saw I would highly recommend the MS251.  Remember though, that this saw is a mid level saw its not a pro-saw but I have cut big wood with this little saw and it really has been an excellent saw.  I cut approximately 15-20 face cord of wood a year.  
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
? about older small skid steers

Started by whitepine on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2005, 10:19:45 AM
by badpenny
xx
new guy--observations on small-time sawing and getting older

Started by stormyweatherman on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 10:40:30 AM
by ljmathias