iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DeWalt planner blades

Started by fishfighter, April 18, 2018, 07:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Anybody ever had their blades sent off to have them resharpen  before? If you did, who did you use. I have 5 or 6 sets and at $45 a set, I need more. Just hate to see all the old sets sitting around. :(

reelman65

If you have the 735 (like i do) you really can't sharpen them too much, since they are not adjustable. Some people have suggested a light honing, but you shouldn't really take much/any material off.

I have this same problem myself. I eventually will end up with a spiral cutter when $ situation is better, but for now will probably just buy another set..
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

DWyatt

I'm not sure how it is with the DeWalt knives, but I know with our 20" Grizzly knives you can't afford to sharpen them when compared to the cost of a new set. I work with a guy who has a sharpening business and even with the returning customer discount, he is only a couple dollars cheaper on a $100 set of straight knives.  Also, you have to consider that all the new blades are a balanced set based on their weight and extra time would have to be taken during sharpening to ensure a tight tolerance on the weight of the knives.

Dakota

I haven't had to do it yet, but I think I remember that the blades on the Dewalt can be turned around one time for new blades(in other words, the blades are double sided).
Dave Rinker

reelman65

Quote from: Dakota on April 18, 2018, 09:47:56 AM
I haven't had to do it yet, but I think I remember that the blades on the Dewalt can be turned around one time for new blades(in other words, the blades are double sided).
735 definitely can be turned around once. Also can adjust side to side a little, to overcome a nick 
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Brad_bb

I have a DW735 lunchbox planer.  I wish I would have installed the byrd shelix from the beginning.  I would have already paid for it with the straight blades I've bought for it.  I just recently converted to the Byrd Shelix head for it.  It is much much quieter, almost don't need earmuffs.  Cut finish is nice too.  I was having a problem with the straight knives  before I changed.  I would plane half a dozen or 10 passes and the circuit breaker/overheat switch would trip on the planer.  I was only taking 1/16th or less per pass (on ash 6", 8", 10", 12" wide).  I switched out to the spiral head and now it trips after 5 passes.  I'm not sure why it was doing it before.  I know it's not an industrial planer, but that is too quick to really be overheating.  

If anyone has any insight, let me know.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

gachriswoodwork

Brad, try changing the breaker/overload. the more that trip the get weaker with every trip. eventually not reseting at all.

Tin Horse

Brad; are you running to light an extension cord? Once the reset is verified you could also do an amp draw on the motor unloaded and loaded.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

fishfighter

Thanks guys. I have a old 734. Yes, one can flip the blades to get a second set. DanG oak is hell on blades. :o Guess I will just keep buying them as I need them. :(

low_48

Quote from: DWyatt on April 18, 2018, 08:44:00 AM
 I work with a guy who has a sharpening business and even with the returning customer discount, he is only a couple dollars cheaper on a $100 set of straight knives.  Also, you have to consider that all the new blades are a balanced set based on their weight and extra time would have to be taken during sharpening to ensure a tight tolerance on the weight of the knives.
$100 for sharpening planer blades! You need to find a new guy! The sharpening service I use, lines all three blades up on a magnetic chuck (indexed off the face of the chuck) and sharpens all three at one time. All within a couple of thousandths in width. I think the chuck is 14' long for sharpening large paper mill blades. I can't remember the exact amount I paid for 3-24" blades, but fairly certain it was less than $40. They hone off the burr and they come back better than new. I use Cobb Industrial Grinding in East Peoria, IL.

Southside

I have a Tormek wet stone sharpener and have never had a balance issue, not to mention after honing the blade it will cut the hair on your arm. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

MrMoo

I just honed my extra set of blades with this rig:

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Planer-Jointer-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B00A1Q0U4O

I have not installed them yet in the planer but the honing went ok.

DWyatt

Quote from: low_48 on April 19, 2018, 01:33:07 PM
Quote from: DWyatt on April 18, 2018, 08:44:00 AM
I work with a guy who has a sharpening business and even with the returning customer discount, he is only a couple dollars cheaper on a $100 set of straight knives.  Also, you have to consider that all the new blades are a balanced set based on their weight and extra time would have to be taken during sharpening to ensure a tight tolerance on the weight of the knives.
$100 for sharpening planer blades! You need to find a new guy! The sharpening service I use, lines all three blades up on a magnetic chuck (indexed off the face of the chuck) and sharpens all three at one time. All within a couple of thousandths in width. I think the chuck is 14' long for sharpening large paper mill blades. I can't remember the exact amount I paid for 3-24" blades, but fairly certain it was less than $40. They hone off the burr and they come back better than new. I use Cobb Industrial Grinding in East Peoria, IL.
Evidently I need to find your guy, I have asked a couple different people around me and get about the same answer. Most people around here are set up to do a lot smaller items and I think most of the cost is the nuisance charge for the setup because their machines can only sharpen one at a time. I guess I will be looking up Cobb Industrial Grinding because I bet I can dig through the pile and find 10 set of used blades that are in our scrap pile!

Brad_bb

I get the heavier 16 inch blades sharpened on my beam planer and the cost isn't bad at all.  Can't remember what it is off hand but it takes 4 blades per change, and I have something like 8 sets of blades.  I actually had the same company make some blades for me.  I know that doesn't help anyone with a lunchbox planer, because as far as I know those knives are usually one time use.  This is because those planers are not set up with a mechanism to correctly align and hold blades that are shorter from sharpening.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Mine has springs in the blade slots that pushes the blade against an alignment tool.  I have never resharpened a planer blade but if I did and they were narrower they would still align properly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Depends on the planer model. I have a DW733, which has the reharpenable blades that are fitted using alignment jigs. They have enough adjustment to allow several sharpens. Others are single use with no adjustment, although they may be 2 sided.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

On our 13" Rockwell planer and my 8" jointer I touch up the blades between sharpenings by hand rubbing the blades on varying grits of wet sandpaper attached to flat glass with spray adhesive.  Usually I finish with 1200-1600 grit. They cut much better and are considerably quieter after about 50 strokes on each grit.  I made a jig to hold the angle but I don't use it any more.  

$100 to sharpen blades is a little rich.  The local sharpening service charges around $30 for three 13" blades.  The last time I had to replace the knives on the 13" planer, I bought Titan knives.  I think they were less than $55 delivered.  So far they have performed well.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!