iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Branch tips turning brown on Winged Elm

Started by btulloh, June 01, 2018, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Does anybody recognize this condition?  It came on quick.  It's on branches scattered throughout the tree from bottom to top.  I can't find any bugs, although there are some adjacent leaves with bug holes.  The affected areas don't have bug holes.

HM126

GAB

I am no expert on trees.
My GUESS is Dutch Elm Disease.
Hope I'm wrong.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Clark

Usually DED has a slower colonization rate. Typically one or two branches will flag and then it moves towards the rest of the canopy. Having multiple branches flagging at the same time indicates either A) that tree just got hit with a horde of beetles that were all carrying DED or B) something else. Possibly elm yellows although the color of the dead leaves doesn't support that one! The reports of elm yellows indicate the entire canopy suffers at the same time.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer but the outlook doesn't look good for that tree.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

I appreciate the feedback.  These branch tips went to tan one day then went to brown and dry within a couple days.  It doesn't seem to be progressing up the limbs but it may be affecting more branches.  It's kind of hard to keep track of.

This little stand of elm is in a natural drainage that's dry most years but this year it's had a lot of water through it.  I wonder if that has something to do with it. ??  Real dry up until two or three weeks ago, but wet and rainy since then.

I've had 5 or 6 in this little stand of elm die over the past 7 years or so.  The state forester didn't have any idea what was doing it.  None of the other elms that died had this kind of thing happening.  

Next week I'm going to see if the extension office can provide any info.  I'd like to keep the remaining elms from dying if there's any way to do that.

FWIW, I have these winged elm scattered around the place and none of the others have had any issues - just this little stand.  This happens to be right at the house and I kind of like lookin' at 'em, so it's kinda buggin' me.  Plus every time one dies I have to get a tree service to take it down.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!