iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Sawmill

Started by charles mann, August 18, 2018, 01:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

What about using chain to drive the band wheels? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: charles mann on August 20, 2018, 02:47:09 PM
What about using chain to drive the band wheels?
Would work well except that you need to keep it lubed and that is going to attract a LOT of sawdust.  I think there would be a sawdust build up problem - more so than v-belts sometimes get.  The maintenance would be a little higher with chain than v-belts.  On the positive side, it wouldn't slip!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Welcome to the forum charles mann.

A chain will be noisier than the a belt (thinking back to my motorcycling days) but it may not matter because the blade in the wood will be noisier than the chain.

Perhaps a plus of a chain will not need near as much tension as a belt which will put less side load on bearings.

I forget the exact "rules" for chain but there is a way to chose the sprocket sizes that works better for less vibration and longer wear. I'm thinking it is to avoid a tooth count that will divide evenly into each other. An example is a 6 tooth drive and a 24 tooth driven would cause more vibration and faster wear than if it was a 7tooth drive and a 24tooth driven. 

Unless you will continue to find extra large logs I would think hiring out the sawing for those ones could be a bargain, don't forget you have to transport those monsters too.

Southside

Helos can fly on piston engines too... but is it a good idea? Drive belts last a long time, barring some odd band break and they are actually cheap for the hours you get out of one. I would build your drive and connection to match with a commercially available triple belt and call it good.

The other issue is clutching a chain vs a belt which just slips into tension. You do need a weak point in the system and having a belt slip is a lot better than having a chain break apart at 2500 RPM.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Satamax

Charles Mann, reading your thread made me think about this. Hydraulic driven bandwheel. 

Loglogic Autotrek Sawmill Promo Video - YouTube 

Sorry for the annoying music. 

As for power plants, isn't there many us pickups fitted with 4BT engines? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

charles mann

Quote from: Southside logger on August 20, 2018, 09:35:23 PM
Helos can fly on piston engines too... but is it a good idea? 

The other issue is clutching a chain vs a belt which just slips into tension. You do need a weak point in the system and having a belt slip is a lot better than having a chain break apart at 2500 RPM.
Helis have been flying on piston engines since the early 40s, and are still produced today. 
Turbines came into play bc of the power to weight ration. The engine on my hele is a lil over 4000 shp and weighs in around 1500 lbs wet and including the nose box. 
Belts are not out of the question, was just inquiring bout them and their longevity and drive cababilities over belts. 
Id stock an extra set of belts or chain and sprockets, which ever way i go. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 20, 2018, 06:33:43 PM
Welcome to the forum charles mann.

A chain will be noisier than the a belt (thinking back to my motorcycling days) but it may not matter because the blade in the wood will be noisier than the chain.

Unless you will continue to find extra large logs I would think hiring out the sawing for those ones could be a bargain, don't forget you have to transport those monsters too.
I'm sure that diesel engine will drown out the chain noise, along with the band cutting through the wood.
trust, i haven't forgot about those big logs. iv loaded the black walnut 2x, red oak 4x and both my live oaks 2x already. my tractor with 3ooo# of lift wont even budge the pecan logs. since iv moved everything but the pecan to another location on my property, ill set my mill up by them first, mill them and haul them to my conex kiln a few boards at a time, since i have to haul them inside the conex 1 at a time. once that stuff is milled, ill put the axles under it and haul it over to the pecans and winch them to the mill since the logs are off the side of my driveway and i don't want to block it. 
i do have a place I'm harvesting red oak off of and there are 5 more trees in the 36"-42" range. once those are milled, ill relocate my idler wheel closer to the drive for anything under 36". 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: Satamax on August 20, 2018, 11:58:35 PM
As for power plants, isn't there many us pickups fitted with 4BT engines?
if there are, I'm not finding any, and the engine i am finding are 2000 miles away in the northwest or here in tx, they want a 1/4 of a gold bar for them. 2 appeared today, 1 running, but wants $3500 for it and the other 1, needs a starter, radiator, cooling hoses, alternator, wiring for the electrical system and he want $3000, but it comes with a spare head, 4000 rpm governor spring, 47RE xmsn, engine stand extra peanut cover, water pump and he said a bunch of other stuff, but didn't list it, just said to come to houston and take a look see. its had the p-pump turned up and the fire ringed the head. i have no use for the xmsn, but the stock head, water pump and peanut cover might come in handy.

hell, the price of either engine is already just under half the allocated build cost. I'm gonna have to pinch pennies to be able to buy the band wheels, guides, carriage wheels, and i haven't even gotten to the lifting of the head yet in my budgeting. 
i havent figured the lifting part out yet. i was thinking of using linear rails and guide bearings and either 1.5" or 2" acme rod, and still might, but i also thought about welding up a box to go around the carriage vertical support beams and bolting on 1/4" UHMW on all 4 side of each beam and drill/ tap for a grease zerk fitting and scrubbers to clean the UHMW as the head moves up or down. when UHMW is wet/greased, it is slicker than owl poop on a hickory limb
i may go as some have mentioned, winch cable, but instead of the electric winch, go hydraulic winch. 
there are a LOT of small things in haven't worked out yet, gonna play it by ear as i build and keep reading and asking questions. i just can't read what someone types and understand it, nor hear the words and put it together. i am a monkey see, monkey do kind of monkey. 
Temple, Tx

Satamax

CharlesCharles, nother source of engines, old farm equipement. Old combines, tractors, backhoes etc. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

charles mann

Quote from: Satamax on August 21, 2018, 02:38:30 PM
CharlesCharles, nother source of engines, old farm equipement. Old combines, tractors, backhoes etc.
thank you for your insight. i followed your advise and started looking, but folks are wanting as much for them old tractors/equipment as 1 of the motors mentioned above. i decided to inquire about the running unit, and the guy said it was a ground power cart from an airport and that he would sell it for 3k just to get rid of it. i figure before separating the motor, id see about getting the power cart fixed, producing electricity, and then divorce the motor and put an electric motor in place of the diesel and use the electrical side at my hanger, or maybe sell it, depending what it will cost to make spark. thank you for your input. i hadn't thought about old farm/construction equipment. 
Temple, Tx

tacks Y

Sorry a little late to this. There is/was a Logmaster LM5 on Ebay. They ran the band with hyd, you may want to take a look and call LM for advise.

tacks Y

Sorry just looked at Ebay and did not see it.

ladylake

The LM5 is using a 85 HP Cummins with maybe 60 hp to the blade.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mike_belben

30gpm at 2000psi is gonna want 40 hp (at below 3000rpm, preferably 2000 rpm ) plus substantial cooling and a whole lot of 1" hoses.  Its gonna be a serious project.  

Id look at refer takoff units for a 3 cylinder steady state governed diesel.  Find a running thermoking on CL or a truck wrecker.  Youll get the motor, radiator and sufficient cooling all in one tidy unit. Just get your pump, tank and return filters grafted into the cabinet and itll look pretty sharp. 

For salvage hydraulics, scrapped bean pickers, trenchers, fairway mowers and tennant sweepers have a lot of otherwise very expensive high end compentry you wouldnt find elsewhere that are adaptable to debarking and sawing.  The old stuff all ran popular american branded componentry that is still generally rebuildable.  Eaton charlynn vickers sunstrand etc etc
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I have a straight six high output 4.0 liter out of a Jeep. Complete. TBI. I keep trying to find a good place to use it since I can't seem to sell it to anyone.

Thought about putting a generator head on it and converting everything on the mill to run electric.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

? doodlebug? you should see what comes up when you google that :)

Magicman

Yup, we called Antlions "Doodlebugs".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Any chance that is the same thing as a Jitterbug?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Maybe its a yankee term?  

Home made truck tractor, typically was model A's way back when.  These days it tends to be an old 2ton truck.  Dual transmissions, minimal tin, tractor tires or chained up duals, etc. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Quote from: Southside logger on August 24, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Any chance that is the same thing as a Jitterbug?
It's a dance, a fishing lure, and a cheap cell phone, but I can not find any Jitterbug insect. :P

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Mike pretty well described it. Basically it's any older vehicle, usually 4WD that has become a woods buggy and has the scars to prove it. Won't have any glass, very little sheet metal, no exhaust, probably has head lights of some sort, and big tires.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

That saying did not make it to my Yankee land.  ;D   
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

muggs

To me, a doodle bug is what we called an early minibike.   Muggs

mike_belben

Quote from: thecfarm on August 25, 2018, 05:44:02 AM
That saying did not make it to my Yankee land.  ;D  
Which is suprising since i thought maine was the source of all rural NH/central mass culture.  And by that i mean cull-chah bub.  Ayessaahhh.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!