iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying sweetgum...again

Started by kelLOGg, August 18, 2018, 09:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

The sweetgum ovals I cut months ago

Has anyone cut oval table tops on a bandmill? in Sawmills and Milling

have now come out of the kiln and they look fantastic. (No pics yet - still in the kiln) Those with bark 360° around did not crack or twist but most of those test pieces with a flat barkless end did crack.

One problem though.
They are not dry. MC measures about 12 to 13%. I put them in the kiln at 19% MC and the lowest I could get them was about 14%. I then turned up the heat to 140° and vented after 18 hrs and after cooling I measured 12.7%. I read an account of a commercial kin drying at 230°.
Is this what it takes to dry sweetgum? What a tease, bummer.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

Quote from: kelLOGg on August 18, 2018, 09:03:30 PMIs this what it takes to dry sweetgum?

Thermal Nuclear Energy...:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sweetgum heartwood, called red gum, and not black gum as was in my earlier draft, does dry slowly.  Stay fairly cool, like you are in temperature, and wait.

Sapgum, the sapwood, dries quite quickly and can take high temperatures, but you have to consider the heartwood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

kelLOGg

Thanks, Gene. How "cool" should I keep the kiln? and how much longer do you estimate the drying will take? My MC measurements were taken in heartwood - I did not measure it in the sapwood. I will do that tomorrow.

I have had a very hopeful experience sawing SG as ovals, air drying, and kiln drying to ~13% MC. I just don't want to stumble so close to the finish line.

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

My favorite would be 130-135 F.

Do not let the RH get under 40% RH except maybe the last day.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

ellmoe

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 19, 2018, 08:02:37 PM
Sweetgum heartwood, called black gum, does dry slowly.  

Gene, never heard in called black gum, perhaps you meant " red gum"?

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

xlogger

I always thought that a black gum was a total different tree from SG.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

Ricky, in an earlier post you said you had cut several ovals. Were they SG? and what was your experience/conditions for drying?
Bob

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Fooops!  I was out to lunch...red gum is correct.

xlogger

have not cut any SG figured might be a waste of time.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

The heartwood can be beautiful.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bwstout

Not sure if you can really see all of the figure in the 3 bowl from the right but it is sweet gum heart wood it is really beautifully wood easy to turn and finish.

home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!