iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eye problem

Started by Raider Bill, August 20, 2018, 09:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Well crap...

About 2:30 Thursday afternoon after cutting my hair I felt like I had something in my eye. It didn't bother me as a irritant but was in the middle of my vision. Bought a eye cup and tried to flush it out. Used about a quart. Figured I got some trimmings in it.

Looks like I've got a cob web and oil slick in my eye. At least from my point of view.

Friday I went to the eye Doc. It's actually fluid leaking out of my retina which is torn. No idea why.

Eye Doc tried to find me a retina surgeon but it was Friday afternoon.
He finally got me an appointment for today.

Said Bill this is serious and gave me his cell phone number telling me to call him if I have any problem over the weekend day or night. I'm thinking DanG no Dr gives out his personal cell number this must be serious.

So now I'm waiting on pins and needles wearing a pirate patch to see the surgeon this afternoon.

Had a 10 day motorcycle trip planned starting Labor Day now That's not looking good, [pun intended].
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

I hate hearing about these things, I'll be pulling for you, Bill! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

submarinesailor

Bill,

While wearing the patch, be real careful about the change in depth perception.  Had a guy work for me who was blind in his right eye and he had to be real careful about pulling out in front of someone while driving.

Bruce

thecfarm

That's too bad. Never a good time for that to happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Hopefully things will be well with your eye as soon as possible and the Doc will have you patched up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Now, I'll just bet you make a fine looking pirate.  smiley_bandana

We'll be waiting to hear how you made out with the doc. 

Say when

Ron Scott

Hope its corrected soon.
~Ron

WDH

I hate it when that happens.........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Apparently this happens to some people as we age. I'm one of the lucky ones. Doc says sooner or later the other eye will do the same thing. I hope it waits till this eye clears as it's hard to see out of it. Everything's a blur like there a oil slick flowing around in there.

He said I'm actually lucky because I don't have any bright stars or glare. We're taking a wait and see approach before going in because it hasn't got any worse since Friday. In time he says the blob should settle to the bottom of the eye but that it could take up to a year.

Bruce, you are correct. the patch sure does change depth perception. I'm only to wear it when the eye starts to hurt due to strain trying to see out of it.

This getting old crap ain't for sissy's.

Roxie

No it isn't.  Bless your heart.
Say when

Magicman

It took several years but mine finally cleared completely. 

This is sorta the same thing that @Jeff is going through with his eye.  Problem is that he has scar tissue across the "seeing" portion of the other eye.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Yup, thTs why I've been rather scarce on the forum. Very difficult to see print. Mine is still like looking through a screen door with flies on it, and the first eye that tore has a permanant lesion in the center of my field of vision.  I've never heard of wearing a patch for this issue. Where did that come from?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The first Doc on Friday. He said to wear it when my eye starts to ache from the strain to give it a rest.
So far I've only used when watching TV, reading or around the house.

Stephen1

good luck, a least it is not getting worse. 
Getting old really does suck.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sheepkeeper

I've been dealing with the same thing since January. It doesn't hurt but it can be a real pain at times trying to read around the shadow. I can get it to move out of the way but it won't stay there. Eye doc says it will shrink over time. I sure hope so.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Brucer

I had a torn retina repaired about 12 years ago. Fortunately the tear was right on the very edge of my field of vision.

I started getting a lot of black dots slowly falling across my line of sight (drops of blood it turns out). Got an emergency appointment with my optometrist that afternoon (3:00 PM on a Friday). Optometrists could see the tear starting and got me an emergency appointment with the ophthalmologist that same afternoon (6:00 PM -- he stayed late). Dr told me it was definitely a tear and needed to be fixed ASAP or the retina could detach. When could he do that, I wondered. Right now!

He used a laser and basically tack-welded the edges of the tear to the back of my eye. It was exactly as though he was playing a video game, joy sticks and all. A little unnerving but I haven't had a problem yet.

And yes, it was an age thing :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

The hundreds of black spots in my vision have not subsided much since this episode began the Saturday before the 4th of July.   One word I keep seeing wrong because of them is kinda funny.  
chet
looks like
diet
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

He is a bit on the thin side.  Body wise that is :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I went back to when My Eye went Screwy and found many parallels with what I had and what Jeff and Bill are experiencing.  Thankfully after a year or more, mine has completely cleared up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Hope all goes OK with you Bill
I have had a big one in my left eye since 2013 right after my cataract surgery.
Doc calls it a vitreous detachment.
Eye doc says it will settle in time
No change so far.
Also a gnat in my right eye for about 15 years. 
ain't old age great? But Bill you aren't there yet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

I hope both (all) you guys with eye issues get well.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Pete; My brother (the one that went with me when I bought your mill) had cataract surgery a couple months ago and his is still fading in and out, and he has to wear dark glasses when it's sunny out!

He says it's getting "slightly" better!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Had cataract surgery on the right eye yesterday so doing light duty today. Had to wait until after bear season to get it done. Will have the left eye done in a couple weeks. All is well so far.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Dad's uncle had his done back in the 80's, he made out good. You'll be fine. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

My update a year later..
Blob is still there. Doesn't seem to be going away.
Few months ago I was getting flashes from what appeared to be around the edge. That went on for about a week then stopped.

Thank You Sponsors!