iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just A Little Introduction

Started by lil171, October 08, 2018, 10:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil171

Hi all. So I recently got a new Chainsaw, Stihl MS 171, as well I have an old Mastercraft / Poulan 2300CVA, and am relatively new to the whole wood cutting thing. I do not plan on cutting a lot, just for fires at home and the lake. Anyways, I have been reading a few topics here that interested me so I thought I would join up. My main goals are to properly learn how to cut a tree or two, basic saw maintenance and most importantly how to do so safely. So with that said, glad to be here and do a lot of reading and learning. Thanks for having me.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum, lots of good folks here, feel free to ask questions, share experiences, and join in on the conversations.   smiley_wavy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

olcowhand

Welcome to the Forum, lil171.
As a newbie myself, and I'm still on the "learning" side of the knowledge swapping going on here. You'll get plenty of good advice...
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

thecfarm

lil171,welcome to the forum.
Get the safety gear,chaps,helmet,boots,glasses,I think I got it all.
Lots to getting the tree down safely.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Welcome to the forum fellow Manitoban lil171.
Best way to start is read your Stihl's owners manual, best way to introduce yourself to your saw and know what questions to ask. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

Welcome! I'm pretty new myself, but this site's been an invaluable resource for learning. There's a ton of accumulated experience. Enjoy your stay  :^)

JJinAK

Welcome to the forum. I will second what Willard says- read the manual for your saw.  The Stihl manuals are actually pretty good for information on the use and care of your saw.  Good luck!
MS461
MS362

lil171

Thank you all for the welcome, and suggestions so far. To add to this, as was mentioned by thecfarm earlier, which I forgot to add to my original post, I am in the process of getting the safety gear required. I am only stumbling with two items listed. Helmet, and chaps. I am stumbling as I did not have a helmet on my list. And as for the chaps.... I am not sure on this one either. I tried a couple of pairs on locally, and quite honestly, I was rather disappointed in the Stihl chaps which I really wanted. The best fitting, most comfortable I tried on locally were the Husquvarna chaps at Canadian Tire. But the reason I am unsure of the chaps is that I am a bigger guy, and I felt that they 'slid down' when wearing them in the store. I would rather invest in a pair of pants, but again, the only ones I can find locally, come up to a size 42, and I need a 44...... I would like to buy locally so I can at least try them on. Also to note, I do not plan on cutting a lot of wood, but next year I intend on cutting 1 cord of wood which should last me a couple years. Anyways, thank you again.

lxskllr

I use the Husqvarna apron chaps, and I'm pretty happy with them. They're reasonably comfortable in cool weather, and give reasonable coverage. I've never worn chainsaw pants, but I like the fact you can just throw on chaps. With pants, you may be more inclined to think "Eh, only one or two cuts. I'm not gonna bother with the pants", and then get bitten.

I have the Husqvarna forestry helmet. Everything works appropriately. I got it mainly for the face shield. I wear glasses, and I'm not putting goggles on over them. They fog too easily. The ear muffs work, but are hot imo. For the helmet itself, I have long hair, and with my ponytail doubled over and stuck through the backstrap, it holds in place pretty well. Better than my hardhat I use for work. You might want to find one with a ratchet back if you think you'll sometimes wear hats or other insulation under it. Makes it quicker to adjust. Otherwise, the cheaper lock strap's a set/forget kind of thing, and a ratchet is unnecessary.

olcowhand

Regarding not having a Hard Hat or Chaps, I'm not going to try to convince you that one is more important than the other, but a Helmet should be considered mandatory if you're felling. I say this knowing that you have zero control over the widow makers and other overhead debris falling. There are many stories of guys being killed by Branches falling on Loggers while felling. In my limited experience (I fell fewer trees in one Firewood season than some of these guys fell in a day), I've been dinged (hard hat) twice and narrowly missed a few times.
The bonus is that most modern Hard hats have muffs on them to preserve your hearing.
My two cents; you don't owe me a thing.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

lil171

The helmet is one I had not really considered, but now seems just as important, as I did not think about falling overhead branches. But the leg protection is definately one that I will get, just that I am not sure of pants or chaps. This all stemmed from a chainsaw incident this summer at the lake requiring a ride to the hospital.... As we were waiting I told buddy that if I ever bought a chainsaw, leg protaction would be mandatory. Especially minutes after seeing a bad accident unfold right in front of us!

HolmenTree

Most chaps I seen are adjustable up to 48" waist. I organize and run a annual  chainsaw competition and supply chaps for the competitors to use. Had a couple we had to tie cord for an extension :laugh:
Get the wrap around lower leg chaps as they don't pull down on the waist like the loose ones do, unless you got long legs.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

realzed

Quote from: lil171 on October 09, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
Thank you all for the welcome, and suggestions so far. To add to this, as was mentioned by thecfarm earlier, which I forgot to add to my original post, I am in the process of getting the safety gear required. I am only stumbling with two items listed. Helmet, and chaps. I am stumbling as I did not have a helmet on my list. And as for the chaps.... I am not sure on this one either. I tried a couple of pairs on locally, and quite honestly, I was rather disappointed in the Stihl chaps which I really wanted. The best fitting, most comfortable I tried on locally were the Husquvarna chaps at Canadian Tire. But the reason I am unsure of the chaps is that I am a bigger guy, and I felt that they 'slid down' when wearing them in the store. I would rather invest in a pair of pants, but again, the only ones I can find locally, come up to a size 42, and I need a 44...... I would like to buy locally so I can at least try them on. Also to note, I do not plan on cutting a lot of wood, but next year I intend on cutting 1 cord of wood which should last me a couple years. Anyways, thank you again.
Just get some of the good wide suspenders that both Stihl or Husky sells like I did - then you can hike them up as far as you wish or until your voice changes pitch which ever come first ;D..
As for a helmet.. although I'm no great fan of Husqvarna stuff as I prefer Stihl brand things, Husky does make a Helmet called the 'Technical' which I bought after trying on many others and absolutely love it! It certainly wasn't cheap - but has all kinds of built-in features, fits like a glove, and the muffs work so well even my 261C-M sounds like it is purring at full tilt and my co-worker (son) has resorted to hand signals after giving up trying to yell at me. Unfortunately this bit of PPE  audiological awareness and concern is settling in on me about 50 or more years too late. :)  
I don't cut down standing trees very often but even for firewood bucking and with all of the bending and other contortions necessary when cutting and throwing around cut rounds and such, it stays put perfectly in place and never feels like it is going to pop off like a lot of the other types that I tried on which are just modified versions of construction hard hats and always to me felt like I needed a chin strap added to be sure they stayed put - AND as well it should for the price!
BUT it is nice to get something that works and feels 'as advertised' for a change in this crazy World!
I also bought some Stihl lower level 'cutters pants' which aren't super highly rated chain speed-wise but they felt a lot better than some Husky chaps that I was given as a Christmas gift and like most - if something feels good, and fits decently, it is a lot more likely in my World to get worn verses something that I don't like the feel of, or have to fight with or be distracted by when wearing..
The way I look at it.. chaps aren't super great protection-wise anyway and the pants feel like they wrap my legs a lot better and stay in place (guess I have a thing for that - eh) and are less likely to get snagged on crap when working than any pair of chaps I ever wore!    

thecfarm

realzed got it,suspenders!! I just use the walmart ones. I just clip the top of the chaps. I unclip them from my pants,and hook them onto my chaps. So I have the clips on my pants and my chaps,one pair of suspenders does it all. I suppose you could just use them on your chaps. But I wear suspenders when I am working outside. 
I have a tread somewheres on here when I was dumb enough not to wear the. Just sawing down a stub,no need to put them on. ::)  stupid_smiley
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!