iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping busy during long surgery recovery?

Started by alan gage, March 10, 2019, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

Unless someone pulls a rabbit out of their hat tomorrow it looks like I'll be getting a couple discs fused in the next month. Along with that comes a three month recovery period with a 10 pound weight restriction. That's going to be a difficult thing to handle so I've been trying to come up with ideas of things to keep me occupied that I'd actually enjoy. 

Tops on the list so far is getting proficient with hand tools in the shop like saws, planers, and chisels. I've never really done any serious work with them but it might be fun to limit myself to hand tools for some small projects. Learning to hand cut dovetails would be a good thing as well. 

Any other ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

rubberfish

I spent months off my leg and in a chair due to an accident.
For me it ended up being a lot of quality time with my pellet rifle.  :)
I really don't like Starlings, and now I have fewer of them.  ;D

Here's to a speedy recovery for you.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

lxskllr

You could do what I do during hot weather; stare lovingly at your chainsaws, and anticipate getting back out to cut wood  :^P

If you have a business, you could streamline your paperwork on a computer. Make the computer do tricks to make your life easier. Artistic carving using knives, gouges and whatnot isn't stressful.

Good luck on your surgery in any case. Hope you feel better than you have in awhile  :^)

Don P

Chip carving is kind of fun. I've ripped up a bunch of model sized framing and built a house before. A bunch of my calcs in the toolbox were layups. Organized and then disorganized the shop. Little light projects, boxes, salad tongs, spoons, etc. Good luck!

btulloh

Good luck with your surgery and your recovery.

Dovetails are an excellent idea.  Cut one practice set a day and pretty soon you'll be really good.  Good soggestions above also.

Get your hands on a couple Foxfire books (The first two are the best) and you'll find lots of inspiration.

Carve some Gee Haw Whimmy Diddles.  

Make some whirly-gigs.

Split white oak baskets can occupy a lot of time.

Above all, follow doctor's orders and get well soon.
HM126

olcowhand

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Probably doesn't need to be stressed, but be careful with any tools while on pain meds.
If you're introspective, start or update your journal; use breakout chapters to chronical the most joy you've felt (and why....), as well as the times you've needed to discuss character flaws with yourself.
If you haven't already, read the Good Book; If you have, read it again. The Big Blue book is also good reading (don't ask me how I know; if you've read it, you already know....)
Get a cheap laser engraver, and make plaques and Christmas ornaments for everyone you know.
All the previous suggestions are great, too.
God Bless,
Steve 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Skip

YellowHammer

When I got my artificial hip I spent six weeks sharpening and setting bandsaw blades, tuning up my sawmill, changing the oil in every engine I owned, and working on my web page.  I did lots of physical therapy, took long walk in the property, worked on my deer stands and, oh yeah, went crazy.   :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Skip on March 10, 2019, 05:47:59 PMFISHIN fishin-smiley
Skip,

That won't work - he is restricted to 10 lbs. Oh yeah, he is in Iowa not WV so it may work after all. :D

Figure out ways to organize the shop better. Build shelves and install pegs etc to keep things more accessible and out of the way when needed. Surf the web for other websites for people doing things like you do and adjust/adapt yours to include anything you like better. Go visit other FF members.

Follow doctors orders and get well soon. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

My older brother had 5 discs pinned, screwed, glued, welded etc back in January and while it is going very well he can't do too much physical work. We have a fishing trip to Quebec planned for August and he is already getting his "stuff" ready, he should have the most organized tackle box around by then.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

firefighter ontheside

I broke my leg very badly in 1998 skiing.  I was non weight bearing for 4 months.  There was no YouTube back then.  There was barely an internet.  I watched video cassettes about building a log cabin.  I read magazines about building a log cabin.  I fondled my new Stihl that I couldn't start.  Your plan sounds good and better than mine was.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

hacknchop

I had emergency lung surgery back in 2002 and was laid up for six months , all I can tell you is follow the instuctions for rehab and cocentrate on getting healed up and thred months will take care of themselves . I found just going for long  walks  helped pass the time visiting friends and family also volunteering helps take the focus off ourselves and our lives for a bit and help someone worse off . Get well soon and make the best of it.
Often wrong never indoubt

LaneC

I wish you the best. This is a very life changing event, at least it was for me. I never had any kind of training or studying of music, so I took up guitar. there is a lot that will keep your mind as well as your fingers moving, and there is much to learn in music. I wish you well.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Southside

Have you read the entire original Whatcha Sawin' thread from the very beginning?  If not, you might be able to get through most of it by the time you were cleared to return to full duty.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Best to get busy ASAP.  Do your prescribed walking and PT.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

YellowHammer

Well, it was a contributing factor.   :D :D  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

Alan,
Hope all goes well for you!  I have had two neck fusions, well one fusion and then a removal of that plate and one put in below it just this year 1/2.  They have gone well, I hope you have the same results!
I am in my 68th day of 8 lb lifting restriction from the fusion.  First thing is list and do those items you must before the surgery.  This for me was things to prepare for the 2 months of no lifting and those things that I could think of to do to get ahead of the curve and prep for the 2 months of inactivity.
Get use to seeing your wife or others around you do the 'heavy' lifting you normally do. This is hard to do. We go to the store and she has to lift the heavy stuff to the vehicle. I stand and watch or load the 'pillows'.  Now I joke and say, 'Come on woman hurry it up!' Though this could put you back in the hospital.
Get some reading material, how to videos etc to prepare for your downtime.  I read over some how to books, watched utube how to's, made list of stuff to do once I could lift.  Then plan the project detail for the projects you come up with. 
Travel, get away from the things you look around at that need doing.  We visited grandchild, though you can't pick them up.  Visited some relatives we have not see in a while.  
Hire the yard spraying, fertilizing service for your spring lawn stuff. Hard to do this when you are normally the one doing it! 
Make a list of the things you need to do when you can lift.  I have done this.  Though I have a second surgery scheduled in April that will require wearing a boot for 7 weeks.
Oh, that reminds me, plan the other medical items you need to take care of since you will have met your out of pocket maximum for the year.
Yes, go crazy.  BUT DON'T do anything that could set you back (no pun intended) or jeopardize what you had fixed.

Ed_K

When I started to go crazy Rita got me a paint by numbers :o. I'm on my third one cause I found it relaxing also ;).
Ed K

alan gage

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 10, 2019, 06:13:20 PMFigure out ways to organize the shop better.

What? Are you kidding me? That place is a mess. I don't want anything to do with it. Plus I'm pretty sure my broom weighs 20 pounds so I guess I won't be able to pick it up (nothing new about that). :)

Lots of good ideas and thanks for the well wishes.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Southside

Alan -

All joking aside one thing to keep in mind, and it can be hard to do, is to realize during the healing process that you are getting better and stronger, even though you may not be making strides that you WANT to make at the pace you expect.  It's easy to get discouraged when you are accustomed to doing so much and suddenly find yourself not able to do those things because you can't allow yourself to do it or your body just won't do it. 

Personal example.  When healing up I was doing PT on a regular basis and on Fridays my therapist would do a weekly evaluation.  Well one Friday I was having me a pity party because I was just so sick of not being able to get things done or having to rely on others to do it.  It's pretty humbling when you go from being the guy whos job it is to fast rope out of a helicopter with a 90 lb Shepard and run to a gunfight to being the guy who can't pull up his own underwear.  So I sat there while she was writing down notes and complained that I needed to get stronger faster as earlier in the week I had to use a wheel barrow to move two bales of hay to feed some calves.  She looked at me and without missing a beat asked how many bales I had moved the previous week, my answer was none, just couldn't do it.  She just grinned and said "Well that's progress", and it was, the problem was it was a small step and I was expecting to be running by then, so I didn't see the progress I was making.  After that I learned to look back at my previous limits to see how far I was advancing rather than keeping my eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky.  

Keep your head up high and you will come out of this stronger and better.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

Alan,

Think about developing a new skill.  Are you proficient with Google Sketchup?  There is a learning curve but it might be a good time to gain a skill you could use after you get off your restrictions.  How about a photo or video editing program, learn to build your own website, learn how to build databases or other computer office programs.  Check out udemy.com or thegreatcoursesplus.com for thousands of options.

When I was healing years ago, I scanned (digitized) thousands of family photographs.  Also learned to use a photo editing program to improve some photos, correct colors, etc.  Sent discs to family members so everyone had copies.  In the days before digital photos, everything was negatives and prints, which took up a lot of space. With digital files they could print anything they wanted, or distribute to their families.

Good luck with your surgery.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Brad_bb

Be careful with woodworking while recovering.  If working over a bench, you might have a tendency to hunch.  Not good for the back.  My suggestion, video games.  I haven't played them for 15-20 years due to slow internet connection in the country.  If I can ever get high speed, I'd like to play again.  WWII first person shooter is my favorite.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bedway

In the process of recovering from triple heart bypass surgery I can assure you its a long process. The good thing is every few days you say to yourself im feeling better. The best thing for me is the fact im here and not a memory.

alan gage

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on March 12, 2019, 01:39:43 PMThink about developing a new skill. Are you proficient with Google Sketchup? There is a learning curve but it might be a good time to gain a skill you could use after you get off your restrictions.

That's a good idea and one I was just thinking of this morning. I've had a couple abortive attempts at Sketchup and also have a copy of Rhino CAD I don't know how to use (other than converting a canoe design in delftship into printable forms for cedar strip canoes). I'd like to at least be competent in both.

If I recover well enough I'd like to build a garage late summer/fall so I have that to design and next year (or more likely the one after) I have a new house and shop to build on the land where I now have the sawmill. It will be fun to play around with those designs.

I have a lot of 7/16" ash cutoffs from my flooring that I was thinking of making small crates from. Easy to construct and everything should be within my weight range. Would make a good beginning CAD project as well.

Good advice on the hunched over posture, Brad. I'll rig up some higher work surfaces before I go under the knife.

Alan

hamish

I just had emergency surgery last week and find myself in the same boat for the next two months :-\

Found myself dusting today...............

Its gotta get better!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

alan gage

Quote from: hamish on March 12, 2019, 03:54:45 PM
I just had emergency surgery last week and find myself in the same boat for the next two months :-\

Found myself dusting today...............

Its gotta get better!
Oh geez. I'm really sorry to hear that. If that's what I have to look forward to I might have to cancel surgery.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and more interesting diversions.
Alan

Chuck White

If you're into fishing, maybe take up fly-tying, or even just regular lures, spinners, spoons, etc!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!