iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When/how to prune a Dawn Redwood?

Started by gspren, December 07, 2015, 07:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

About 3 years ago I planted a 8' Dawn Redwood in the yard and now it's close to 14' so I'd say established. I'd like to remove lower branches to at least 4' high the biggest might be an inch. Should I do it now while all the needles are off? Saw flush to the trunk or leave a bit?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mesquite buckeye

Prune just outside the branch collar (bulge near the trunk). Cutting closer than that favors rotting fungi. :(

Remove no more than about what would be the the equivalent to 1/4-1/3 of the live crown. Dead branches don't count as part of that.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 08, 2015, 02:41:24 PM
Prune just outside the branch collar (bulge near the trunk). Cutting closer than that favors rotting fungi. :(

Remove no more than about what would be the the equivalent to 1/4-1/3 of the live crown. Dead branches don't count as part of that.

Agreed.

What you need to encourage is the wound to close over as quickly as possible. If you leave a long stub it takes years for the tree to grow out and cover the rotting stub. That's an opportunity for decay to get a start.  If you prune too close, and shave off the "collar', you leave a bigger wound, and also remove the fast growing material in the collar area that should quickly seal over the wound.

Time to prune? I would think late winter / early spring while the tree is still dormant would be best, then when the weather warms up it can get started on sealing up the wound. But I don't think this is critical.

You should be OK lift pruning a 14ft tree to 4ft off the ground, and if you want to go higher, do a few more branches each year
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

plantman

Are you sure you want to prune the tree at all ? Dawn redwood typically develops a very nice natural habit on it's own. Only reason I can see to prune is if the branches interfere with traffic around the tree. Branches typically grow at a steep upward angle anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!