iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Rite Leg Bench

Started by WDH, June 21, 2016, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

That's a lot of slabs for the day  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

customsawyer

If you do the back rest and all the other stuff, I would highly recommend a cup holder. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Ayup,beat me to it,cup holder!!
Good for you on sales.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on April 22, 2018, 04:45:41 PM
If you do the back rest and all the other stuff, I would highly recommend a cup holder. ;)
Why......you never set one down.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

That suggestion was for other customers. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

samandothers

The power of suggestion.  Your customers saw what was possible and the great finish and it was off to the races!

WDH

Spalted and naturally stained maple. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wudman

Nice.  I have a few spalted maples to saw.  The right of way maintenance crew dropped them 3 or 4 years ago.  I just picked them up a short while back.  They are field edge trees and have some spiral grain so I am wondering how they will behave when slabbed.  Might end up with a decorative sliding board for the grandkids.  Had some pretty good color when I bucked them. 

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

samandothers

Well, that bench is just 'naturally' purdy!

stanwelch

Walnut for my Grand nephew 

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

I am detecting some "Bench Whisperers".  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Stan,

Love the shape of that top.  Looks like a nice maple butterfly, too.  Really adds class.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

Thanks, Danny. Your bench builds inspired me to try one. Got the legs from Tammi two years ago at the Pig Roast.  I slabbed the walnut in April 2016 and air dried in the saw barn until a couple weeks ago.  Thanks to the conversation on this forum I flattened the slab on the sawmill. MUCH easier and less mess than a router. I had rotator cuff surgery yesterday so will be one handed for a few months.  No more projects until spring.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

samandothers

Stanwelch, Bummer on the shoulder!

WDH

Stan,

Shoulder surgery is fun.  Hope it went well and you recovery well. 

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

Bought 2 sets of legs from Kevin at Booneville in August.
Havent attempted anything yet but after looking at what you folks have done I am afraid my efforts will be feeble.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Well, I ran out of benches except for the one I keep in one of my lumber rooms for me to sit on.  This curly red maple slab caught my eye, and after looking at it for about 4 months every day and refusing to sell it, I cut 3' off one end of the 8' slab and made this bench using the Danielle style Rite Leg Bench Leg in wrinkle black.  It has several coats of pure tung oil, and rubbed out some with 0000 steel wool.  Another coat or two with some more rub-out and should be good to go. The tung oil really pops the curl in the red maple.  The bottom shelf is a curly ambrosia maple board.  This one has a particularly nice natural edge.

Robert,

Did you keep that maple bench that you sit your whooped out butt on or are you still sitting your whooped out butt on it?

customsawyer

Nice bench. I like a good piece of curly maple.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Weekend_Sawyer

That is one nice looking bench!

Did you add a stain or use a torch to darken it?
Inquiring minds...
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

No Sir.  I used dark tung oil.  You can get pure tung oil in regular or in dark.  The wood was not stained or burned.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2020, 08:59:26 PMRobert,

Did you keep that maple bench that you sit your whooped out butt on or are you still sitting your whooped out butt on it?
That is a remarkable bench of yours Danny.  Beautiful figure.  I like the legs, too.  I need to order some more to sell.  

Yes, its still here in the showroom.  It's helped sell more live edge slabs than anything else.  I do set my rear end on it regularly.  This weekend we may have had 300 people come through and I ate my lunch on it.  People seem to realize that a tired guy eating a cold piece of pizza on a bench is not to be disturbed. :D :D  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kantuckid

That's one beautiful piece of wood!
Thought I'd share some thoughts on natural edged slabs since they're all the rage now days.
For starters I never consider buying the legs made of steel. Tightwad figures into that decision but mostly I like all wood anyway for esthetics of choice.
Long time ago when I made my LR coffee table and end table from walnut live edged slabs I began building peg leg style. By that I mean a variously shaped wood leg using a turned round, wedged tenon. I like the look of the wedged end in the top and keeping the piece all wood. No doubt wood is the easier way and great for those who are not into so far into wood working as others, meaning buy a slab, sand it a bit and screw things together. The hardest aspect is drilling the largish angled holes, the rest isn't very far gone.
To place a date on my slab interest and projects, I first got onto the slab idea when I read the article in one of Fine Woodworking' early issues about George Nakishima's business in PA centered on nice slabs built into tables, benches, stools, etc.. To suggest that natural edge slabs are a recent phenom is to ignore his influences.
As for tung oil as a finish-Walmart as they're given to do so often, stopped carrying pure Watco branded tung oil last winter. I bought every marked down can I ran into as we snowbirded around FL last winter.  I normally like Watco Danish followed by wax or Watco Poly Wipe for a full service table top. The danish oil does the exact same thing as the tung in popping out the grain and colors. Once set by Watco Danish walnut stays dark longer than I've been around.
I recently tried Watco Satin wax, a wipe on wax that really works great. given the high cost of hard waxes as I used in the past it's my new buddy for a final buff on wood projects, it's really easy to use too!
I made a bunch of walnut live edged shelves for a son in TN last year. His contractor is used to doing them and said for me to angle the back edges slightly so that once weighted with plates, pans or knicknacks the shelf stays at level-I think we used 5 degrees back angle on the straight back side.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!