iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

WV -

Certainly looks like a warbler to me.  Either black and white or.......
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Cardinal under the bird feeder. Juvenile or female, don't know. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

These lil guys were under the porch eave when I got to the cabin early July.
Momma moved them or they were big enough to be on their own the next day.
July 2018 Birds - YouTube

Hilltop366

I brought some lumber to my camp on Friday, when I was about to leave I could here a eagle across the river, then two more circling above.

Eagles at Big Meadow Brook - YouTube

Chuck White

I love to watch the Eagles!

Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Your welcome,

It was entertaining to watch, I wished I had brought my camera to record them but the cellphone was better than nothing.

SwampDonkey

Saw something similar this week out on the river, a young one with momma Eagle since it was not white yet. They nest along there in summer where I saw them, on the island where there are big pines.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gaproperty

Here is eastern Canada eagles are on the rebound.  There a 2 pair right in my area.  They are a beautiful bird but they are hard on cats when there is nothing else to eat.  

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

SwampDonkey

I saw one day before yesterday fly past my studio window. Glide would be more like it. :)

lxskllr

Bald eagles are impressive /looking/, but less than impressive acting. I see more feasting on roadkill deer carcass than anything else. They also steal fish from their betters. I'd be happy to support changing the national bird to the red tail hawk.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but then we could not shoot red-tailed hawks. :D :D Oh yeah - we can't shoot them now. Actually, I have several on my place and I am real fond of them. Reminds me of the old Justin Wilson spiel where he said he saw a boy walking along carrying a dead hawk and asked what he was doing with it Boy told him was going to cook and eat it. Justin told him "I like to cook. What does a hawk taste like?" The boy replied "About like owl."

We have lots of bald eagles on the local lake and river where I fish and we made several photo trips with friends last year just to photograph them and other water birds. We had several very good outings doing that. We see 3 distinct age groups of eagle. This years young which have no white on their head or tail, "teenage" birds over a year old but under 4 with just a small showing of white on their tails and heads and yellow beaks, adult birds 4 and older with mostly to completely white heads and tails.

I love to see them swoop down on the shallow flats and grab fish but they will steal them from ospreys and even herons on occasion which I also like to watch. One crashed into an osprey about 70 yards from me and made him drop his fish. The eagle spiraled down and picked it up and flew off with the osprey about 10 ft behind him trying to decide whether to try to get it back or maybe hoping he would drop it.

Several times we have watched them try to land on a lone dead limb in a big sycamore or ash tree along the river and have the limb break out from under them and watched them scramble to recover from the fall. You know things like that happen but we rarely see it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Onthesauk

Went steelheading this morning, up the north fork of the Nooksack River, about 6 miles from Mound Baker, about 100 miles NE of Seattle, maybe 6-7 miles from the Canadian border.

The Nooksack has a late run of chum salmon, late November into December and the bald eagles show up every year.  Article in the Seattle Times last year mentioned someone counting 110 eagles in a 5 mile stretch of the river.  Today driving along the river and then fishing there for about 4-5 hours probably counted 50-60 eagles.  On the way home saw one tree with 6 eagles in it. 

Gravel bar 75 yards up the river must have had dead fish on it, had 3 or 4 sitting there at any given time and half a dozen in the trees around it.  Eagles would fly in with a chunk of fish and land in a big maple tree just across the river from us, tear off chunks and eat it and then sit and watch us for an hour.

No steelhead today but beautiful day.  Snow on the ground, heavy snow falling for a couple of hours and then mixed snow and rain. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Chuck White

We don't see the numbers of birds here that we did 50 years ago.

I think that's mainly due to the numbers of coyotes, feral cats, and birds of prey!

Now we have only Chickadees, Gold Finches, and Nut Hatches, along with a few sparrows that regularly come to our birdfeeders!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

At Onondaga Lake in Syracuse, NY several people, including my neighbors and I, have counted around 100 eagles in the past few days.

lxskllr

Haven't seen much interesting lately. Saw a couple eagles flying high today, but that's about it. Lots of hawks here and there. You can see them more easily in the winter. Haven't seen a sparrow hawk in ages, and I used to see them fairly regularly. Wonder if something's happened to them?

Chuck White

We regularly see Eagles here, not a lot, maybe 3-4, mostly feeding on carrion/road-kill!

jerry sundberg

We have a wide assortment of birds also Chickadees, Red breasted Nut hatches, White breasted Nut hatches, Pine Siskins, Red Polls, Pine Gross beaks, Gold finches, Blue Jays, Hairy & Downy Wood peckers, Pileated Wood peckers, and quite a few Ruffed Grouse. One day we had 11 Grouse in the back yard ! First time I've ever seen that many all together !
Farmall  man

Chuck White

You have a really nice variety Jerry! 

SwampDonkey

Turkeys that have been hanging around this winter. Looking out the front door. I have since put some feed out, but they have not come to that yet.

Turkeys March 06 19 - YouTube

Roosting

Texas Ranger

Local Walmart in Jefferson City Missouri is in the edge of the farmland.  Turkeys come to the woods beside their parking lot twice a day, early and late. Why you ask?  The stockers open broken sacks of pet food in the woods.  Dozens show up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

They love burdock around here. Their bodies are usually 1/3 covered in burdock clumps. They was all day yesterday in one patch here at the end of the field. :D

Ruffgear

turkey on the driveway today, I hope he sticks around a couple months

lxskllr

I really like pileated woodpeckers. They're impressive birds. I especially like the way they land on trees with authority. They fly in hard, then "Thwack!" against the side of the tree, and scoot around. They also sound cool. Sounds like something out of an African or South American jungle  :^)

Your stupid trivia for the day(maybe it's just me that's stupid)...

I looked up the name not that long ago to see what it means. It basically means "capped", as in wearing a pileus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileus_(hat)

SwampDonkey

Yes, a week ago I saw a pileated hugging a telephone pole. He was dead still watching me walk by. A yard tree I took down 6 or 7 years ago was frequented by one picking on a rotten patch on the base of the tree. I cut that tree down and there was hardly any rot to it at all. It was 36" across and lots of solid wood left in that rot area. Oh well, winter was warm. ;)

SwampDonkey

I was watching youtube videos of hawks hunting turkeys yesterday. Red tailed hawk and also a golden eagle. I found a paper online written about goshawks hunting yearling turkeys. Had photos of one eating on one. Well, that's nature I guess. :) A fellow online, whom I know in person, said there was one recently preyed on by what was thought to be an owl. There has been a mean owl around his neighborhood. It knocked a guy down and has attacked kids. Not sure I believe it. They aren't nesting yet, might be just a story. That time of year. :D

Thank You Sponsors!