iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Threading Wood , Beall Threading Kit

Started by 21incher, January 13, 2018, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I need some threaded wood nuts and bolts for a future project so I just picked up one of the Beall threading kits to play with. The beginning shows the setup and how it works, the rest is just making the little accessories for it. Have to make some good properly sized dowels to get the best results.
https://youtu.be/z3uLHGCOHLg
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jayhdjr

I've always wondered how that was done. Thanks for posting, Jay
Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

21incher

Quote from: jayhdjr on January 14, 2018, 07:55:06 AM
I've always wondered how that was done. Thanks for posting, Jay
This seems to be the best way to get good results making threads from what I have read. They also make big threading dies like metal threading dies that seem to get mixed results. I have to make some good properly sized maple dowels to try next. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

Another interesting and well made video. 8) 8) 8) 8)

I like those Beall taps because they self align in the hole.  Small detail but I think worth while.

I make hard maple vacuum chucks for the wood lathe.  Tap 1-1/4" - 8 than I soak the threads in CA to harden the wood.  Re-thread to cut through the CA.  My chucks go off and on a lot and never had a thread failure....yet.  I sometimes do the CA trick on smaller threads if I think they will see much use.

Bigger taps (expensive) can be found on ebay cheap.  Re-sharpened works fine.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on January 14, 2018, 01:48:15 PM

I like those Beall taps because they self align in the hole.  Small detail but I think worth while.

I make hard maple vacuum chucks for the wood lathe.  Tap 1-1/4" - 8 than I soak the threads in CA to harden the wood.  Re-thread to cut through the CA.  My chucks go off and on a lot and never had a thread failure....yet.  I sometimes do the CA trick on smaller threads if I think they will see much use.

? What is CA ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

Quote from: Larry on January 14, 2018, 01:48:15 PM

Thanks for the tip Larry I will try that. I just used junk dowels and they seem like fairly strong. Maple with ca would  probably be almost as strong as brass. I am going to have to check the thread on my lathe chuck that sounds like  a great idea. Or I  could make a stub for the 3 jaw chuck just using the 1 inch thread. Is there an online service that can resharpen the taps? :)

Dave Shepard

You can sharpen most taps with an angle grinder. You just need to take enough metal off to reveal a sharp face.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 14, 2018, 07:36:57 PM
You can sharpen most taps with an angle grinder. You just need to take enough metal off to reveal a sharp face.
I never thought it was that simple. I will have to try that on a box of dull ones I have. Thanks Dave. :)

21incher

Ordered some good maple dowels from Beall and made 18- 12 inch threaded rods that all came out perfect with no chipping. Made 70 walnut hex nuts and the tap is still sharp. This thing works great. Just have to get a flap sander now to sand the nuts. 8) 8)

Crusarius

samandothers

Look forward to seeing them in a project!

21incher

Quote from: samandothers on January 28, 2018, 02:47:07 PM
Look forward to seeing them in a project!
Here is a pic of the project start. I am making a new bedroom set for my guest room and trying to make it have an industrial / gearhead look. This is the start of the headboard. The tables, shelves and everything else will have a similar look when it is all done. Have to learn how to spray poly next so I can get a decent finish. :)

Crusarius

That is super sweet. I really like that. Keeping it natural not paint?

you can make some pretty killer adjustable shelving with that :)

Drill and tap the ceiling then run your shelves ceiling to floor.

samandothers

Wow!  Ask and he shall receive!  Very neat design.  The contrasting wood is really sharp looking.

SlowJoeCrow

Nice, I really like the design as well!

21incher

Thanks .
Quote from: Crusarius on February 07, 2018, 02:45:54 PM
That is super sweet. I really like that. Keeping it natural not paint?

you can make some pretty killer adjustable shelving with that :)

Drill and tap the ceiling then run your shelves ceiling to floor.
I have simple adjustable shelves sketched up for the nicknacs. The top shelf will be anchored to the studs using the kreg jig and the threaded dowels will hang down from them. Have to order another batch of dowels and make a power feeder for the jig to make it easy to cut the threads on a 4 ft dowel. Also have to figure out the clearance needed for polyurethane and cut the threads deeper so the nuts will still move freely.  A fun project using backyard wood. :)

Crusarius

I bet you can make a jig that will go into the chuck of your cordless drill. Put it on low and feed er through.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on February 09, 2018, 03:58:55 PM
I bet you can make a jig that will go into the chuck of your cordless drill. Put it on low and feed er through.
It would be easy if there was a way to lock a drill at about 20 rpm that seems to make the cleanest threads. I am thinking a old gear motor may work best. :)

21incher

A couple videos of the build.

Making the nuts and bolts.
Building An Industrial Look Headboard Part 1 - YouTube

Making The Headboard.  This one didn't end to well.
Building An Industrial Look Headboard Part 2 - YouTube

I hate finishing. smiley_dwarf_finished_chair

21incher

Well Finally finished the headboard. Wound up picking up one of these cheep HVLP kits to get a good finish with the water base poly

This is the final video after removing the brushed on finish that went bad.
Building An Industrial look Headboard Part 3 - YouTube
:)

21incher

Started the matching night stands. It is amazing how much time it takes to process rough cut wood. :)
Building Industrial Look Night Stands Part 1 - YouTube

samandothers

Watched both videos and enjoyed both.  Thanks for taking time to do this.

SwampDonkey

I believe this is the same threader I have as well. I got mine from Lee Valley in Ottawa.

I really like how your bolts and threads came out and that is an awesome headboard. Looks like your new paint gun did a fine job for you. Great video to, by-the-way. :)

I have a paint gun that works on compressed air from my compressor. The only thing I used that on so far was an exterior door that I painted with Tremclad branded paint for metal (works on wood to). It's real good paint that does not peal, unless the metal has a lot of flex to it from heating of the sun, like aluminum flashing.

For my thread box I also cut my own dowel rod with a Veritas branded cutter from Lee Valley. So far the only threading I did was for an umbrella swift, for the part that acts like a clamp.

The swift was part of a large loom project back in 2012 and probably back a few layers under this board. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: samandothers on March 03, 2018, 06:32:50 PM
Watched both videos and enjoyed both.  Thanks for taking time to do this.
Thanks. I started making videos to try and teach my grandsons a little, but lost out to their x box. YouTube is a great place to share ideas. :)

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 04, 2018, 05:01:50 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 04, 2018, 05:01:50 AM
I really like how your bolts and threads came out and that is an awesome headboard. Looks like your new paint gun did a fine job for you. Great video to, by-the-way. :)

I have a paint gun that works on compressed air from my compressor. The only thing I used that on so far was an exterior door that I painted with Tremclad branded paint for metal (works on wood to). It's real good paint that does not peal, unless the metal has a lot of flex to it from heating of the sun, like aluminum flashing.

For my thread box I also cut my own dowel rod with a Veritas branded cutter from Lee Valley. So far the only threading I did was for an umbrella swift, for the part that acts like a clamp.

The swift was part of a large loom project back in 2012 and probably back a few layers under this board. :)

Thanks. That was an awesome project you made that I really enjoyed the thread. I have to finish up my cnc lathe  build to have an easy way to make accurate dowels for threading. The threader works best with perfectly round dowels. The hvlp gun amazed me. I have never had good results with the water borne finishes with a brush and that sprayer changed my mind about using them. I have several compressed air hvlp guns but the nozzles are to small and the higher pressure still creates a lot of overspray. I think the hot air from the blower on this unit causes the paint to set up quickly. :)

SwampDonkey

Yep, well we try what works. :)

In the future, I will likely use my compressor paint gun to apply water seal on the open porch and maybe paint for the closed porch on the house. Something you only do every few years. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!