iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar question

Started by Typhoon, May 20, 2004, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok I will make this short. Yellow Poplar (Tulip Poplar)... Good for firewood or not>??
Thanks!!
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Typhoon

Got ya. Thats what I kind of thought because it seems so soft and light when I cut it.
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Ron Wenrich

I seperate my wood into 2 different types.  The faster burning stuff I use in early fall or late spring when you really don't need a hot fire or a long fire.

The slower burning stuff like oak, hard maple and hickory, I burn when it gets cold.  Black locust is reserved for January.

Tulip poplar burns as good as red maple, walnut, hemlock or larch.  Aspen poplar burns a little better than newspaper.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moosehunter

A local old timer say's that poplar has some usefull benifits in the wood stove, mainly it gives off a natural chimney cleaner as it burns. He adds one poplar stick a day and claims his chimney doesn't get very dirty.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

OneWithWood

Yellow poplar, when properly dried, is a good wood for a quick hot fire.  I use it in the fall and spring and anytime I need to build a new fire.  It makes great kindling.  Burns a lot like sassafrass but is not as aromatic.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brian_Bailey

It belongs in the class of  "gophor" woods. When used in the wood stove u go for it often.  :D
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

rebocardo

This link from

http://www.firewoodguy.com/

rates Popular as poor

http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

If it was free I would burn it, I will burn anything that looks like wood, including vines. Just have a nice piece of oak to throw in next to it.

Swede

That "GO" button beside the menu to the right down the screen.  >:(  If the administration would burn that DanG button I don´t have to sit here and wach the screen,  swearing about slow conection. ::)

I use to forget [GO] after my choice of topic. Is it good for anything?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

Poplar (Aspen or Tulip tree) prolly good for kindling, but ya better sit close to the wood pile so you can keep adding it every 20 minutes. As Mr. Bailey says, 'gopher wood' . :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Swede:

hmm, the 'Go' buton works fine here. But, I only tried it just now. Maybe it wasn't functioning earlier and the boss fixed it? Dunno.

Don't bust an artery ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I dunno if it works or not. I never use it to get around the forum. I always click on the little folders to go back and forth.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Swede

Swamp Donkey;

I use to forget [GO] after my choice of topic.

:D :D :D

There is no GO button where I make my choice of colour So I think ..............but perhaps I´m wrong  ::)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

JimVA

It tends to pop and spray embers more than most woods also. I cut up a large poplar several years ago, seasoned it for 2 yrs, then tried to burn it in the fireplace. Big mistake. I wished I'd had my Alaskan and Husky 395 back then. What a waste of lumber...

SwampDonkey

JimVa:

Should try white cedar kindling; snap, crackle and pop like a whad of fire rackers tossed into the bomb fire :D :D ;D

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!