iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Barn made from our Timbers

Started by AMBoser, December 14, 2018, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMBoser

We had 10 Douglas Fir trees cleared from our mountain property and hoped to build our cabin with lumber milled from them. But they weren't graded or kiln dried so weren't allowed by the structural engineer. Instead we built a barn with them. It's not exactly timber frame, but a sweet little building (just small enough to not need a building permit) with all wood, even the siding, except the plywood from our trees. We still have a fair amount of work to do, to finish the floor and the inside, but at least the tractor has a home.

Trying to learn without making a mistake every time.

Ljohnsaw

Very nice.  Nothing like making lemonade from lemons!  That's a pretty big shed/barn.  What's the SF size limit before you need a permit?  When I built my 2,000 sf horse barn, I just had to get a $35 Ag permit with no inspections other than setbacks.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rjwoelk

Our municipality requirs a permit if its 100 sq ft or greater and inspected. :embarassed:
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

thecfarm

I like the way you did the door and hinges.  Good job!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Looks like it has been there for decades.  Really, really nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

The last picture is my favorite , a happy man. Good job.
al glenn

blackfoot griz

Nice job! What did you use for the finish on the siding?

TimFromNB

Crusarius

perfect. What is the actual footprint? How big were those trees? I have quite a bit more than 10 trees I need to take down. But I am hoping to build 40x60

AMBoser

Thanks everybody. The barn is 12 by 16.5 feet, for a footprint of 198, just shy of the 200 square feet allowed in our home county. Surprisingly, the limit is lower (120 square feet) in the rural woods where we cut the trees, but that's because the snow load is so high there and the county wants "sheds" that can be used as cabins to meet building codes.

There are a few old barns in our neighborhood, so we tried to make it fit in and are pleased that it doesn't look new. Of course, if we went real timber frame, then it would be more authentic. It also would not be built yet. This took the free time of our spring and summer.

Our local hardware store sells a wood preservative that's dry and you mix it with a gallon of water and spray (or brush) it on. I don't remember what it's called. We call it "that stuff that's on the paint counter of the hardware store."  :D  If I remember when I am there next, I'll snap a photo.

We used a little more than half of the wood from our 10 trees, which were 23" diameter on average. Our plans are to build a picnic pavilion at the property, plus some pergolas, maybe even a carport, with the rest. 
Trying to learn without making a mistake every time.

Crusarius

Thanks for the info. I love it. looks great. My wife really likes it to. I may have to make its bigger brother :)

Thank You Sponsors!