iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Generic glysophate for stumps

Started by Good Feller, September 17, 2008, 10:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I'm planning on doing some TSI this fall and I was told to use generic glysophate on the cut stumps.  Where's a good place to buy it?  Any pointers on applying it,,, I'm trying to stay efficient.  I want to do this right the first time.  Thanks
Good Feller

beenthere

I'd suggest checking out some on-line places to get some prices in mind, and then go to your local farm supply stores in hopes the prices are close.

Buying local, especially if you're interested in starting up a local business as you have mentioned, is most important to that business. IMO

Let 'em know who you are, and what you do.  To me that is "right the first time".   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

Might be telling you things you already know, but since you're asking...

The herbicide needs to be applied within 2 - 3 minutes of cutting the tree.  It works fastest if one person cuts, another one paints the stump.

Get a dye when you buy the herbicide to mix with it so you can tell which stumps you have treated to be sure you didn't miss any.  It also gives your customer a way to see what you have done.

You only have to put herbicide on the outer 1 inch of the stump. That's the only part of the stump, where the cambium layer is located,  that will absorb the herbicide. So if you have stumps, say, over 4 inches diameter, you can save herbicide that way.

John Mc

The local farm supply stores here all carry it. Usually they have Round-Up and then some generic brand of Glyhosphate which is a lot cheaper than round-up. Around here, Agway is a decent source.

The local hardware stores sometimes have generic stuff, but they mainly seem to stick to the brand name (Round-up), since that's something the homeowners have heard of.

It's very rare around here to find a hardware store that carries higher than 18% concentration or so. Most of their stuff is in the 2-3% range. I've found that 25% is the absolute minimum I'll use on cut stumps of buckthorn (a particularly obnoxious invasive species we have in my area). I prefer 30 to 40% concentration. Home Depot also carries 50% Round-up and/or 41% generic (at least in my area). I prefer to buy from the local guys... their price is very close to H.D. anyway.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Rocky_J

Lesco is a good source in these parts, since we don't have any farms or farm supply stores around. Lesco is a landscape and pest control supply house that caters to golf courses, landscapers and pest control/ lawn spraying companies amongst others.

Dodgy Loner

Any farm and garden store ought to have it in a 41% solution, which is what you should be looking for.  The generic brands will vary depending on what store you go to.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

woodtroll

At the farm stores there are small pump up sprayers. They may hold 32-40oz. I have just carried one while cutting. Put it on a hammer loop of my pants. Cut a tree and spray move on.

Thank You Sponsors!