iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood stove chimney question

Started by billyO, July 11, 2011, 12:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyO

Hello all.  Being July, hard to think about heating with wood this winter, but a good time to do some work on my house. 

My wood stove is my sole source of heat and in the winter I use it for cooking as well.  It's in the middle of my house with an ugly brick chimney that I'm surrounding with river rock from my property hopefully making the chimney a focal point of the house.  There's a single wall pipe running up inside the chimney, and I'm thinking about filling the space between the pipe and the brick with sand to create a form of heat sink like big old stone fireplaces used to do.  Any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea?
thanks 

doctorb

billyO-

First, Welcome to the FF. 

I am not too keen on your idea.  Sand is quite heavy, especially when wet.  If moisture got in there it might be tough to keep the sand up in the chimney!  I believe there are several spray in products used for this purpose that are undoubtedly more expensive, but will be kinder to that old chimney than a cylinder of sand.  Also, for you to get any heat out of the chimney portion of this system, the old bricks have to theat up and then they have to heat the coating of river rock you wish to apply.  I would work on the safety aspects first, then the cosmetic changes for effect, and not worry about the heat gains from the chimney itself.  Wood is still pretty cheap.

I take it from your description that the chimney runs straight up from a room centered stove? 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Holmes

billyO  If you seal off the top of the chimney around the single wall pipe you will create an air space that will heat up and allow the whole chimney to warm. When you need to replace the single wall pipe you will not have to deal with sand or other obstacles. I put a metal cap on the top of my chimney and the flue passes thru it . Holmes
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

My post here is not related to your flu questions. But I'm replacing single walled stove pipes from my wood furnace with double walled pipe from Selkirk. Just a link to show the product I'm using. It's made in Canada and the US.

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/metalbest/Product.aspx?id=58
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

They make liner kits for them .Being surrounded by brick you really don't need double or triple wall unless you want them .

You can either get rigid stainless in short lenghs or flex pipe in stainless .Not cheap but cheaper than laying up a new chimney .

As has been mentioned the brick and stone will act like a heat sink once the chimney has been warmed by the fire .

Thank You Sponsors!