iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood heat, propane chimney

Started by quilbilly, December 21, 2017, 08:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quilbilly

So we bought a house last year and got through a mild winter with electric. Our house was set up for a propane stove with a chimney etc. My issue is I have gobs of firewood, a free wood stove, and want to go with wood. After pricing out double wall and a support kit for piping through the chimney we were around a grand. If I don't go through the chimney I've got about 8 feet to the cieling. So do I buy a propane stove, go with straight pipe and cut a hole in the roof, or another option. I saw a Kimberly stove doesn't need triple insulated pipe but costs about 4k.
a man is strongest on his knees

bluthum

What ever you do don't put wood stove exhaust through a propane chimney.

Wood heat is wonderful but needs to be managed with great respect.

I like to think about it as if I'm building a fire in the middle of the house, that helps keep me careful.

gasman1075

If you have a B vent chimney designed for LP or natural gas a wood stove vented into it will melt it. If you have a masonry chimney with a flexible liner for gas could you re-line with SS for wood ? Class A pipe through the roof is best but is certainly expensive. A chimney vent gas stove wont be more than 80% efficient and probably less than that. I have serviced and installed gas and wood stoves so if you sent a few pictures I could weigh in if need be.

Thanks

Jack
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

hedgerow

The first call I would make would be to the house insurance company and see if they will let you even install a wood stove. Around here hard to get insurance on a house with a wood stove and if you do the chimney needs to be up to code. 

quilbilly

I just bought a used lp stove that will hook up to what I have. The savings in cost oughta pay for a couple of years worth of fuel.
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!