iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help with a gear matic 19

Started by Brian w, January 14, 2019, 03:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian w

I have a 240 A  timberjack with the gearmattic 19 winch. I havee a problem with it winching when it's under a load. It works fine with a small tree or a light load it holds fine but if I have a big tree or a couple smaller trees it winches until it gets tight then it just stops winching. It doesn't make any noise when it stops so I don't think I have anything slipping it just stops pulling . It won't even pull the skidder back on flat ground if you hold the brakes it will if you let the tires roll but not if you hold the brakes.

Brian w

All yea I have tried to adjust it but it made no difference. So now I am out of ideas it's a great machine if I can get this problem fixed. I have about half of the machine rebuilt already have a new motor new brake system and rebuilt differential. So I'm already to deep in to stop on it now.

longtime lurker

Is it losing any fluid from the master control? 
If No, bleed it. Then bleed it again. They can be difficult to bleed properly and it might take a number of attempts.
If Yes, you need to pull it apart, clean the bands and bake them dry, fix the leak, and put her back together.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Gary Davis

check your clutch and make sure they are not wore out and that they are dry

Ed_K

Did you adjust the 3/4" adjuster between the primary and secondary clutch bands?
Ed K

Brian w

It's a hydraulic control which n yes the 3/4 bolt is what I adjusted nothing is leaking I have put new brake bands  in it also but that was a few months ago and it worked fine after that until just recently

ehp

I got a 230A with same setup and went down this road about 2 years ago, I put new bands in and they worked for a couple months then quit . I ended up putting new bands in again . I think the first set were some after market bands that were thinner on the band than what the factory bands were and seem to be soft . Had zero problems sense

Putnamqdm@yahoo

Reply I have similar problems with my gearmatic. I rebuilt the hydraulic parts and cleaned bands worked ok for a while. Machine sat for a few months now completely frozen up. The handle is rock hard for take in no play and release not letting it loosen cable. How can I get this to break free?

Plankton

Had this problem before, lots of bleeding and new bands did the trick.

Brian w

The winch on mine doesn't have the master cylinder it runs off the hydraulic system as I said before it works fine with nothing or very little hooked up to it. But you get a decent tree or two hooked to it and it won't winch in it holds good and free spools good just won't winch under a load sometimes it will but normally it won't even winch itself  backwards. I took the hydraulic line off and fluid just barely run out and I don't know much about hydraulics but I know that I should have gotten a lot more fluid than I did.

Brian w

This is the skidder I don't have a picture of the winch I'll try to get one tomorrow

Brian w

Sorry just saw that my picture didn't load so I'll try again. But I went to the woods today and checked the hydraulic pressure and it's fine messed with it a bit pulling a 16 ft redoak around on the landing and now it's winching great but it doesn't want to stop winching now.

Ed_K

I'm beginning to believe that either the primary or secondary clutch bands are not adjusted right. Take the cover off and hook the line back up have someone start the machine an watch which band is catching and then back it off some.
Ed K

Brian w

You were right about the clutch bands one wasn't working at all I didn't even realize that it had two clutches and I also didn't know that it's the same winch that has the master cylinder control just different controls I'm still learning about winches and hydraulics. I also noticed that the clutch control valve is leaking some and that the clutches have been wet before so I'm going to get the o rings to rebuild the valve and see if the clutches will maybe work or if I have to change them I have never changed the clutches and don't know how difficult it is to do.

Brian w

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help I got it fixed I rebuilt the clutch control valve inside the winch and since the clutches have been soaked with hydraulic fluid and was pretty wore anyway I just went ahead and changed them. Then I logged out a load for my tandem axle international truck then hooked up to the front of the truck and winched it about 40 feet no problem. Probably ruffly 26 ton so winch is fixed and working great.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!