iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foaming trees

Started by Sawyerfortyish, April 28, 2008, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

What makes a tree foam up when it rains. What I mean you can see the rain water running down a tree and on some trees there will be a stream and big puddle of foam at the bottom. It's very noticable on black birch. I never thought much of it til my wife asked me about it today.

woodmills1

probably sap run relatated.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

Maybe it make a more rabid decent down the trunk of some than others.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bigtreesinwa

I really laughed when I read your post. Tree foam?

Then I remember wondering something very similiar when I was a kid. I'd be hiking up in the high mountains and see foam on a small pool in a creek or on a lake somewhere. I suppose the same mechanism that causes tree foam also causes lake foam.

Now, I'm talking the high mountain of Montana where there's no one around, so it's not human caused.

ohsoloco

I've heard that foam on choppy water is caused by protein.

I'm just saying this next part cuz it jumped into my head just now, I don't have any idea really, but I was watching one of those survival shows the other day, and Bear was saying that birch bark makes excellent tinder because of all the natural oils in it.  Maybe that has something to do with it  :-\

Tom

Phosphates.  It is what is blamed for seafoam and foam in rivers that flow through forests with heavy accumulations of rotting leaves.   It might be washed from a living tree.

Then it might be caused by an insect too.  There are insects that cover themselves with foam for protection. Rain might wash this to the ground.  See spittle bug. :D

ohsoloco

sea foam  Check out the second question.  Not that this answers the foamy tree question...

Just a quick Google search.  Tree foam

Sparty

Quote from: LeeB on April 28, 2008, 09:04:30 PM
Maybe it make a more rabid decent down the trunk of some than others.

Are you saying that the trees have rabies and that they are foaming at the mouth (roots). :D

HOOF-ER

some proteins form foam. Fire departments use foam and one of them is protein based. Protein is based off nitrogen in the plant. Don't know about your tree. This is my best guess.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Dodgy Loner

Does the foam sorta resemble this?  This is the slime flux referenced by ohsoloco on a white oak.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ohsoloco

Would that be similar to what I see happen to cherry logs?  In the past I've picked up some cherry from tree services, and after sitting for a little while the logs form a jelly-like substance on the ends.  It appears to be coming from the cambium layer...or at least in that area.

SwampDonkey

On the cherry it is injury induced and they don't actually have resin canals like a spruce or pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Not sure who mentioned anything about resin canals, but SD is right - the jelly-like substance you find on black cherries is sap that is released in response to injury.  It helps prevent insect infestation.

The slime flux shown in the pictures is a bubbling foam caused by bacterial infection of the heartwood. 
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Just me drawing comparisons. There are in fact some hardwoods with resin canals but not commercial in US and Canada.

Examples: Philippine Mahogany (Not found in American and African Mahogany), and Shorea spp

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I have seen a lot of foam at the base of yellow birch this spring, after leaf out. I just equate it to whatever is in the bark as the water runs down and changes in surface tension when air is mixed in. Like blowing bubbles with soap. :)

mike_belben

Is yellow birch prone to flats too?

;D
Praise The Lord

coxy

they are bad don't ever put one on your truck  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!