iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old wood stoves

Started by 567paloggger, January 14, 2010, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenRice

Found a bunch of really nice old wood stoves on ebay, both cooking and soapstone.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

thecfarm

Stephen,here's one for you, oven and all.

This one is just like the one my Grandmother use to cook on when we was haying.It's a 6 burner Home Clarion.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

StephenRice

Yeah, I really like that.  I would use it to cook as well.  The biggest drawback I see is that the ovens are too narrow for regular sized pizzas.  I guess I would be limited to the little ones.  Probably better for me anyways. 

Anyone care for wood fired oven baked pizza?

SwampDonkey

My uncle wants to upgrade to the Enterprise Monarch, that'll cook that pizza. ;D

Reminds me of the tale of pizza and the dog. My mom's uncle never had pizza before. The kids cooked one and served. Uncle gave a portion to the dog. It wouldn't touch it. Uncle said he wasn't eat'n nothing a dog won't touch. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

StephenRice

That Monarch is a really nice stove.  The oven is a little bit bigger too.  I just checked the specs and it said the oven is 17" wide  You just might be able to slide a 16" pizza pan in there.  If so, then that would be all that is needed.  Also, it looks like it might be just about big enough for a ham or turkey roaster pan.  That would make me happy.  Then, I would like to build myself a large soapstone heater if I could afford the soapstone.  I priced some new commercially made ones at $17,000, and you have to assemble (I should say, build) them yourself or pay someone to come do it.  Beautiful though... one 3-4 hour fire to provide heat for a 1,600 - 2,000 sf house for 12-20 hours.  I think that two burns a day used 35 lbs. of hardwood.

StephenRice

Yep, I am definitely in love with the Monarch.  They even have an optional "waterfront" which is a built in heat exchanger for connecting to your water heater.  How much do they cost?

SwampDonkey

I seem to recall around $3000 CDN. I believe there are dealers in the US.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Try Lehman Hardware (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=) in Kidron Ohio, they are one of the best non electric catalogs and sella ton of cookstoves. I think the other good one is Cumberland something or other.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

cgk60

We have an old earth stove that goes 24/7 great stove with a bi-metal air control.

jpgreen

Love my old Fisher.  Been heating our place with it now for 11 years.

It's one of the last models with the solid roll one piece top and cast doors with brass treeline design.

I burn all species on the property including green wood. It will hold a burn all night long with spare for the morning.

Ramp up a hot fire in the morning and the creosote flakes right off the flew into the stove. Never have to clean it.

I know folks who have new EPA cat converter stoves with nothing but problems unless they burn the perfect cord wood. Forgetabout it- they'll have to take my Fisher from my cold dead hands...  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

SwampDonkey

I seen a nice little shop stove at Jeff's BIL's camp. It's just sitting there not used.  :-\ :'(

sandhills

Anyone heard of buck stoves?  Went and looked at one tonight, I think the seller called it the "little buck stove" he replaced it with a bigger model.  I heard they are made in North Carolina, most around here are earth stoves that are made about 90 or so miles away.

jpgreen

I've got a buck stove that I used for years in my old home.  They are good stoves, and have a fan on a thermostat which is very nice as they recycle heat through a double wall around the firebox to your entire home.

I had (still have) the small buck- Baby Buck, and it's to small for this place. They probably are not as tight as the Fishers, but an excellent stove, if you have one large enough, for your needs. They made 3 sizes. They can either be set up as a free standing stove, or fireplace insert.  Very cool design.

I have a Sweet Home out in the shop,  no problems with it at all. Similar to the Fisher.

Flip through 70's mother earth news and you'll see all the good 70's stoves.

Fisher's add slogan was "One Match".... as it only takes one match to start your fire, and burn all year long.

It truly holds a slow warm burn all night long. I get up and open the doors- there's always a couple logs left- refill and let it ramp up hot for about 10 minutes.  The creosote flakes off the flue and cascades down into the firebox, then I shut it down.  Good for all day, then reload at night.

Safe and really self cleaning if you operate it correctly, and have your flue installed correctly.

Al_Smith

Buck like a lot of stove makers kind of  got started in the mid 70's .OPEC was playing games then just like now and there was a kind of a new found interest in wood burning .Fact during that period I sold firewood and did very well at it .

That kind of died out later when peoples wages caught up  to fuel prices but here of late has found more interest .

Those plate steel heavy gauge stoves are built like battle ships as were many of the higher grade stoves of the period .I have a Lopi glass front plate steel stove  from about that time period that heats the entire house with no problems on about 4-5 cords a year .Which is to say from about late November to early March .Anything warmer than that is too hard to control the heat .

I'm afraid two old folks sitting around in their underwear doesn't paint a pretty picture so except for  that cold period the geothermal unit takes over . :D

SwampDonkey

I guess we're still waiting for the wage increases here Al. :D :D

Al_Smith

Quote from: Ironwood on October 02, 2010, 10:10:12 PM
Try Lehman Hardware (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=) in Kidron Ohio, they are one of the best non electric catalogs and sella ton of cookstoves. I think the other good one is Cumberland something or other.

Ironwood
The website doesn't do the store justice .That place is like walking back in time a hundred years as are most parts of the towns of Kidron and Berlin .

Located in Holmes county Ohio ,right in a large settlement of the Amish .Furniture stores with the finest stuff on the planet .They say "Amish style " though not neccessarily hand made .Truth be known most is made on CNC machinery .In addition that area in Ohio is smack dab right in the oak country of Eastern Ohio ,saw mills every where .

If anyone is ever close it's certainly worth a days visit to look around that area .

Holmes

I have a Woodstock fireview soapstone stove with catalytic com-buster. It works great. There is a learning curve with this type of stove ,[ waiting 15 to 20 minutes to re engage the com-buster] but once you get the hang of it it's easy. It replaces my grand mothers glenwood model F kit. stove , uses less wood and puts out more heat.
Think like a farmer.

Jasperfield

Sandhills,

The Buck Stove company is now "New Buck Corporation". The website is buckstove.com, and they are in Spruce Pine, NC. It's in Mitchell county right beside the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I went there just this past Tuesday, toured the factory, and discussed their business.

The company employs 80 full-time persons during their single-shift day, and produces every part, for every stove, from stock material. For quite some time they have been at capacity and are bringing new products into production.

The stoves are built stronger and heavier than they were in the 1970s. They offer non-catalytic, catalytic, and EPA exempt stove models. These stoves are not the frilly, dressy, stoves so often seen in retail. They are obviously very well made, honestly simple, and functionally attractive.

Everyone was actively working, and I didn't hear the phrase "I don't know..." even one time. And I asked lots of questions to lots of people.

My opinion of this privately held company is that it is quite well managed and capitalized. However, it could benefit by increasing product advertising, and capability exposure to other steel fabrication markets. And particularly in consideration of a plant expansion planned for next year

When I went there I didn't go to buy a stove, but I left with one... and they had my money. Now that's an impressive company!

jpgreen

I have no doubt Jasper- as I know even my old little buck is a darn good stove.

Heartwarming to hear about a continued successful American manufacturer.

Right now I'm burning dead heavy green- doug fir and pine, small diameter rounds and splits from 8-10" diameter green trees I cut down within the past 2 months. Some sooner.

Try that with an EPA stove.

With this 70's Fisher, that is tall and has quite a bit of headroom to the flue, it burns this wood hot once you get it going. Just place a few green on top every few hours.

Holds the house warm all night with fuel to go in the morning...  8)

H60 Hawk Pilot

I bought a Wonder Wood Stove (2941) with the furnace blower about two years ago for my work shop.. as end of year close out. I never used the little furnance or needed it until now. I just installed it at my house in North FL.  I'm trying something a little different here. I installed it at the one end of the house on the covered deck porch. The Wonderwood is just outside the door way with the correct stand off distance on all sides, basically a 8 x 8 insulated room that is now enclosed on the porch,  with a added 2nd door way as well. The porch has a tin roof also and I cut through it and fire proofed the 6 in. chimley going up through it.  I tested the stove and it works well and put's out a fair amount of heat for it's size (rated at 45 to 65 K BTU).

My plan is to route the heat to the cold air return that is 14 feet away from the central air/ heat system pick up; to disconnect the elec. 220 volt connections and use the Wonder Wood as the heat source. It should work Ok and distribute the heat to the other parts of the house by the house floor heat ducts. I bought a pusher fan to move the heat from the 8 x 8 room to the cold air return where the 220 elements are housed. The pusher fan in the 8 x 8 room is controlled by a themostat for that purpose. If the house thermostat will not work prpoerpy with the existing house blower, I will buy a 2nd system to trigger the blower system on the AC/ Heat unit for $ 40.00 bucks or so. Right now, I'm paying about $330.XX plus per month for heat in North FL and that's way too much for me.

I have looked at the type of stove's that the folk's have shown or talked about here in this post. I would consider buying something like these proven stoves but already owned the Wonderwood. This stove has a fair rating by the users and we will see what happen's. My house has an regular fireplace but does not heat anything put the living room and some of the kitchen area. The bed rooms are cold and then the elec. space heater's would come back in to play... and the elec. bill jumps up again. So I hope the Wonderwood is the wonderous answer... sort of rimes.. :D.   
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

thecfarm

Here's a company here in Maine that is saving the old stoves. Probaly most he rebuilds are in the NE area.

http://www.bryantstove.com/

It's quite a place to visit.He usually has 50 stoves to look at and buy. I have bought a few people there looking for parts for their old stove.
You guys are talking about a Buck stove. Probaly a whole differant animal but Bryant's have a Bucks Log Burner under their Log Burners for stove type.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Thanks to Jasperfeild and everyone else for the info, I didn't buy the buck stove, now that it's 10 degrees and 40 mph wind i really wish I had.  We looked at the bigger buck stove the owner had replaced it with and WOW did it put out a lot of heat.  I was looking at it more for my parents house but I don't think their chimeny would handle the heat, it's old and doesn't have a liner so decided against it.  It was cheap enough should have bought anyway,  I'd have found a use for it eventually.

Mooseherder

Thanks for posting that link cfarm.
I'll have to visit their store one day. :)

jpgreen

Quote from: sandhills on December 11, 2010, 02:31:09 PM
Thanks to Jasperfeild and everyone else for the info, I didn't buy the buck stove, now that it's 10 degrees and 40 mph wind i really wish I had.  We looked at the bigger buck stove the owner had replaced it with and WOW did it put out a lot of heat.  I was looking at it more for my parents house but I don't think their chimeny would handle the heat, it's old and doesn't have a liner so decided against it.  It was cheap enough should have bought anyway,  I'd have found a use for it eventually.

That's what I do. I by one, when I see a deal. I have 4 now and use 3- the buck is going in a Rental, one in the shop, course one in the house, one extra.

36 coupe

A friend cant handle wood any more so he has a pellet stove.His dealer delivers the pellets and stacks them in his garage, no extra charge.Pellets are in good supply here and the price is stable.He uses 1 bag a day and  brings in a pail full at a time, no need to handle a 40 pound bag.pellets can be bought at times when you have the cash.You dont have to buy a ton at a time.Not easy to buy sawed cordwood around here.I cut my own but do buy from friends who have extra wood on hand.Pellet stoves have their place.We havent had a long term power outage in 12 years.Some pellet stoves have battery backup and there are small generators for 200.00 that will run a pellet stove.

Thank You Sponsors!