iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using tree logs as indoor support post?

Started by joem789, February 06, 2017, 12:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joem789

I have done some searching. But cannot seem to get any information that sheds the kind of insight I'm looking for.

I live on 20 acres in the mountains. And we have a ton of every kind of timber you can think of. One of the pine trees that was once stuck in a cloud fell down a year and a half ago. It managed to get caught by the arm of a smaller tree, keeping it off the ground. Recently I went back and cut part of it to get some firewood. And the tree is in great shape. As straight as an arrow. I think there is more than 30 feet left on it. I didn't measure it. But it looks to be at least 10". Maybe more.

Anyway. I am wondering what would be required to keep it in a natural like state and use a couple pieces as support posts inside underneath a balcony? I figured I might have to possibly treat it to run out any critters. And maybe seal it as well. Can one get past any drying to make this work?

Kbeitz

First I would check your building codes.
We can't do here in Pa.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brucer

You can expect a log (or timber) to shrink between 0.1% and 0.2% along it's length. That's about 1/8" in a 10 foot length. Not much to worry about.

Over the years I've ...

• Sold a couple of 10' long by 14" diameter Douglas-Fir logs to a contractor for exactly the purpose you describe. He installed them green.
  • Supplied every timber for a show-piece timber frame house -- except for one 22' long central post. They used a Douglas-Fir log for that and it was installed green.
  • Sawed a pair of 8" by 16"/24" beams to make up the lower chord of a timber truss. The two beams were supported at the 24" deep ends by posts embedded in the walls. The 16" deep ends were supported by a hand carved Western Red Cedar totem pole about 30" in diameter. The carver was working right beside my mill so I got to watch the whole thing taking shape.

The building codes around here allow round posts; the inspectors want them to be big enough in diameter that you could saw a square timber out of them that is big enough to carry the load.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

breederman

I replaced an ugly treated Post in the basement of my log home with a white pine log years ago looks great I like the crack. Sometimes what the inspector doesn't see don't doesn't hurt him
Together we got this !

Ox

Welcome to the forum!
breederman has the answer.  Yeah, it'll work.  If your codes don't like it, be sure the man don't see what you've done.  Being outside in plain view under a balcony that'll be hard to do if you have to hide it.  Also, be prepared to see some cracks or checking.  After you cut the log into smaller pieces this always seems to happen.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

florida

Yes, it'll work just fine. Remember, it has a dimensional post hidden inside it! 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

yukon cornelius

Here is one of ours. This one was the first tree we cut when clearing for our house. It stands now within a foot or so from where it used to be growing. Eastern red cedar. 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Andries

Four years ago - similar project.
The building inspector wants his comfort zone guaranteed before he'll sign off.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Milled out the centre of a nice straight poplar, and everybody is happy happy.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

newoodguy78

I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all as long as the bugs haven't set in. I personally would scrape the bark off which shouldn't be too hard, then go at it with a drawknife. That would get rid of any harmless punky stuff that's started and let you get a real good idea if there is critters in it. I've replaced several concrete lolly columns with logs I like the look. Building inspectors don't need to know everything  ;), after all it is your house.

Don P

Citation please  :). There's actually nothing in any building code against it...
Your inspector may ask for it to be graded just as he would of any wood in a residence. There's a chapter in the NDS on round posts and poles. An unsawn timber is close to double as strong as a sawn timber. The saw makes it handy to use it doesn't improve the timber atall.

A tall slender post will fail by buckling where a short fat post is only concerned with crushing. The magic rule of thumb there is 1" of width for each foot of height. For instance an 8' 8x8 post is not going to buckle, it can handle 100% of its allowable compression load, if it were 16' tall it could handle less load because it would buckle before reaching that max compression load.

One conservative way to get that dimension is the maximum inscribed square on the small end like mentioned above.

My personal feeling is leave the bark and bugs in the woods.

starmac

I know where there is an old 3 story cabin that has a log for it's main support post.
The log also has spring boards in it and doubles as the ladder for access to the second floor. A large knotted rope hangs down to make balanceing while climbing the spring boards easy.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ox

starmac - I'll send you a dollar if you can get pics of that!  I love it already and haven't ever seen it!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

starmac

That probably won't be happening, Number one being as the place sold a few years ago, and I do not know the new owners, number 2 is I don't savvy how to do pictures on here. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

wesdor

Welcome to the forum

I regularly go to Holden Village (high in the Cascades above Chelan). Several of the buildings have supports made of trees. In most cases the bark has been removed but I'm not sure if that was done when the buildings were constructed (1937) or if it happened with age.

I like the look and feel of the log supports and they show no sign of weakening after all these years.

Ox

Quote from: starmac on February 12, 2017, 03:14:12 AM
That probably won't be happening, Number one being as the place sold a few years ago, and I do not know the new owners, number 2 is I don't savvy how to do pictures on here. lol
Are you a fellow "Pirates of Caribbean" fan?  Some of my favorite movies to watch, over and over, whenever they come on I usually watch it if I have time.  :D

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!