iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Assumed - Rest of the Story

Started by Magicman, July 29, 2018, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, assumed and was wrong. but at least the lumber was the right color.  I sawed these logs yesterday LINK and had previously stated that they were Water Oak.  When I was leaving the location yesterday I noticed the limbs and those leaves were not Water Oak.  :o  I had to get my "Mississippi Trees" book out and have found what I think that it was.  

No sharp points on the tips and deeply lobed.  

The underside of a leaf.

The acorns.

So I am saying Overcup Oak.  Quercus lyrata Walt

What say you?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Certainly looks like the right acorns.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

You are playing with my mind, right?  Everything about this is wrong.  The leaves are wrong.  Overcup oak has deep "C" cuts near the base.  The bark is light gray and a bit scaly.  Not ridged like a red oak, which yours looks like from the pic.  The acorns look most like overcup.  A conundrum or you have discovered a Piltdown Man.  

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Piltdown Man - Wikipedia

After Cedarman messed with my mind, I have gotten skittish. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2018, 07:44:36 PMYou are playing with my mind, right?
Not intentionally, are you playing with mine?  What about Swamp Post Oak?  The leaves look right, but this is something that I have never dealt with.  The bark on my logs was hard and with shallow ridges.  Not loose at all like the Post Oak that I know.  I can take some bark close-ups tomorrow.

Maybe I need to bring a sample?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2018, 07:44:36 PMAfter Cedarman messed with my mind, I have gotten skittish

And here I was banking on you calling it walnut....:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

It is a prototypical quercus alba leaf.  I believe that the acorns are immature, and that they will not have the cup covering the nut once they mature.  I believe that the leaf and acorn are white oak, but that bark is a real head scratcher.  I have never ever seen white oak bark like that :).

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The bark slabs are still available so I will examine them closely this morning and take some pictures.  I agree that the acorns are immature, and also as I previously stated, there are no sharp tips on the leaves which further indicates that it is a White Oak.  The lumber did not have the pinkish White Oak color but was more yellowish.  I wonder what the bark looks like on Swamp Post Oak?  I had never heard of it until I found in in my book.

At least this will be one that you can examine in person.  ;)

Magicman

Some closeup bark pictures:

The bark is hard as you would expect Red Oak to be.  Not corky and no flakiness.

But these small limbs display the White Oak look.

Southside

Maybe it's a hybrid Pink Oak.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

MM, you've discovered a new species!  From now on to be known as "Magic Oak".  
HM126

Magicman

I woulda been famous and with my name in lights and all of that stuff but the tree has been felled, bucked, sawn, and the stump removed.  :-X  No trace that the Quercus simagicallis ever existed.  :-\ 

I am now having to cancel all of my speaking engagements and they are substituting some Georgidendroligist that flunked 4 Leaf Clover School.  smiley_dunce

WDH

Something still smells rotten in Denmark..............to have bark like that, that white oak had to have had a Goat grazing on it. 

Magicman

Remember that I told you last week that I was gonna "do you in".   :D

btulloh

Finding a tree lot that is like spotting Bigfoot riding a unicorn.
HM126

WDH

Looks like a shumard oak in white oak clothing. 

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on July 30, 2018, 07:53:16 PM
Something still smells rotten in Denmark..............to have bark like that, that white oak had to have had a Goat grazing on it.
WDH,
 I have to shamefully ::) ::) ::) admit he had me sucked in too. I was  :P :P :P This post looking for possibilities. I'm such a sucker! I even remember him saying he was gunning for you. You need to get yourself some better friends :D.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Actually I am not suckering.  The mystery wood that will do Danny in is in the car and ready to travel.  It is not this. 

This one just happened along.  I knew that it was not Cherrybark so I assumed that it was Water Oak.  Actually the bark was not right for Water Oak but I was too busy sawing for it to register that something was wrong.  The tree removal guy was stuffing the limbs into the dump truck as soon as they hit the ground so I didn't pay any attention to them or the leaves.  The landowner requested a few of the limbs to be set aside for him some small firewood which is where these leaves came from.  After I sawed the logs I noticed that the leaves were not Water Oak and then realized that they were not even from a Red Oak, but from some kind of White Oak.  I got my "tree book" out and found leaves that are close, but the bark is completely wrong.  

I have some nice samples to bring with me to the Pig Roast.   

WDH

Magicman

Yup, the Rest of the Story.

First let me say that I would never knowingly make a post or a topic containing incorrect or deceitful information.  I was scratching my head and looking at my Mississippi Trees book trying to identify this tree when I started the topic.  Nothing made sense.  I don't know and will never know what sub-species of Red Oak that was removed and that I sawed because all of the branches and leaves were loaded into the dump truck and hauled off as they were removed.  I will be content to identify it as my original assumption of being a Water Oak but that does not exactly fit the bark pattern.  I did zoom in my original picture and saw sorta "duck foot" leaves.

The one thing that I did not know was that the branches that were left for the landowner to saw into firewood and dispose of had been removed from another tree before I arrived on the scene.  It was an overhanging White Oak limb that was shading a portion of the yard and he wanted it removed.  It was not part of the tree removal agreement so he felt obligated to do the disposal himself.

Anyway, mystery solved and I will not have to haul slabs, edging, and leaves over 1000 miles for identification.  Thank You WDH because if it had not been for your persistence I might not have followed through and found the correct answer.

Now, the mystery wood is safely tucked away in the car and ready to travel.  I predict that it will take you 5 seconds to identify it. 

btulloh

WDH was right - Piltdown Man/Tree.  
HM126

DelawhereJoe

Next we will need another mystery tree from you to identify.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

It it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and looks like a duck, most of the time it is a duck :)

Magicman

And if a Goose flies over and accidentally lands in dat Duck pen, it's still ah Goose, and not ah Duck.   :)

olcowhand

Note: This is not a trick!
If'n you experts are up for a "Michigan" Oak challenge, I'll have some samples for your perusal at the Pig Roast Saturday.
I have a type of Oak growing on some property I have, and my limited experience has not been useful in identifying it. It has a smoother type of bark similar to what we see on younger Red Oaks, but the Bark has a Green hue.
I don't know if I'll be able to get any acorns, as most of these trees only came in after the Plantation Pine was harvested ~ 25 years ago- so they're still quite young for Oaks (the older trees are 10"- 12" DBH now...). I'll have pics of a couple of the trees, some leaves, and likely a sawn section of a cull tree. Anything else?
Maybe, with all the knowledgeable folks on site at the Roast (with some resident Michigan FF Members), someone can tell me what I have.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WDH

Magicman is bringing a mystery wood to stump me.  You may as well join the party :)

Thank You Sponsors!