iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

o31 stihl won't start

Started by joe13, March 07, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe13

this saw has been sitting up for awhile so I rebuilt the carb, replaced all of the fuel lines, fuel, fuel filter, spark plug and have checked the spark arrestor.  My problem is that it will not start.  It will sputter for 1-3 seconds and then stop.  If I try to give it gas during this time it bogs down and dies just as quickly. I tried adjusting the high and low screws but that did not seem to help (stared with them 1 1/4 turns out).  I also noticed that after I try to start it 10 or 15 times that I can see some fuel oozing down from behind the airfilter.

any help would be appreciated...Thanks...Joe

T Welsh

joe13, Sounds as if you need to check and adjust the metering lever. I just put a carb kit in a 024 and it was off from the factory spec,s and floods the saw in 2 or 3 pulls. The air filter was soaking wet! So I went back in and over adjusted it the other way and it gets no gas know! (three times is the charm) :D. I looked up the proper setting for this carb and the next time I pull it apart I will measure and double check the setting. This is the second lever of a rebuild kit that was off spec. the other was an 056. I guess quality control was off that day! Tim

AdkStihl

Sure does sound like a fuel issue. But they are known for crappy ignition systems too. Did you check the points?
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Since the carb was rebuilt it sounds like one of two things .Either the spacer gasket for the main diaphragm is on the wrong side or the fuel lever is set too high .

Thank You Sponsors!