iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

Jim,

If I may ask, how are the rafters attached to the tops of the walls on each side?  I am asking because I notice there are no cross ties from rafter to rafter.  What keeps the roof from sagging and pushing out the rafters?

Reason I ask is this is exactly how a horse barn/tack room was built on my property, and the rafters sagged pushed off the top of the walls over 70 years.

Thanks for the information and explanation in advance.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Jim_Rogers

In this case the rafters are secured to the top of the plate with two or three timberlok screws. The tongue and fork joint at the ridge also helps with strength.
This frame is only 16' wide and very low snow load. Metal roofing will allow any snow to slide off very soon, so "load duration" is very short.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

The plates transfer the horizontal thrust from the rafters to the extended posts and then to the tie beams. This can get tricky.

I was enlightened on another aspect of mill construction the other day. The main components of a mill were carried independent of the mill building by a "Hurst Frame". A good description is here;
http://www.lousweb.com/Stover%20Mill/chapter_4part_1.htm

Jim_Rogers

DonP

Thanks for posting the link.

Jim Rogers

Don P

I happened upon this set of register drawings for a mill in AR, scroll down, click on one and then click for the viewer for the full set;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Millstone_Assembly_of_Hurst_Frame_-_Boxley_Grist_Mill,_Boxley_vicinity_on_State_Route_43,_Buffalo_National_River,_Ponca,_Newton_County,_AR_HAER_ARK,51-PON,1-_(sheet_18_of_20).png

Another good resource for these old mills is Oliver Evans "The Young Mill-Wrights and Miller's Guide". I downloaded a 515 page pdf but neglected to save the link. This is from 1795 and through multiple reprints describes modern milling using elevators and conveyors driven by the mill rather than shoveling and hoisting from that time on to when the roller mills came into play. Difficult reading, I'm still wading. Engravings are at the end of the book starting around pg 470 followed by a list of subscribers who helped finance it I assume, Washington and Jefferson among the many names.

dukndog

DonP,

I've visited that mill several times. Certain events from the National Parks will let visitors go inside of it.
On another note, about a mile south of the mill is a steam powered sawmill in a barn. It is on private property but you can see the boiler, stack and millworks from the road. Lots of elk in Boxley valley as well!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Don P

Road trip  :D
I like it around there.. well, there are few places I don't like.
Have any of you seen horsepower numbers posted for one of those old mills?  I'm not coming up with over 20 hp and that would be a stretch. Then I think. late 1800's, 20 horsepower, that would be something else. I then flipped a few appliances on in the house and stalled that wheel, we're definitely spoiled.

Don P

I drew this a few years ago thinking about selling some exempt accessory structures. In my state that is 256 sf or below. This has a 12x20' footprint, it just happens to have 4' overhangs. The rafters are almost balanced which should help with thrust at the tiebeam joint

The white pine was cut a little over a year ago. The power company helicopter cleared my line and having seen what happens to the trees a few years later, including hitting the line and tripping the breaker, I asked them just to drop the trees alongside the line. I've had some time to play so this is where I was at this evening, the other 2 bents are roughed out and should fit up tomorrow. I'll make "brace panels" that bolt through the posts as units to make this thing easier to set up for display, take down and reassemble on site.

Jim_Rogers

Assembling some saw horse and two ponies to go to a client site where I'll be work for a while in April.

Jim Rogers

flyingparks

A shed. 10'x12' 3 bents

Jim_Rogers

In the very near future, I'll be on a job site where there will be an issue with my timber framing tools being secure while I'm in the bathroom during breaks.

I mentioned to the boss that I'll need to secure my tools while away from the site. He said to do whatever it takes to make me happy that my tools are secure.

I build this box yesterday after I got back from my on site milling job:

It should be big enough to place my tool box(s) in and close. I made it 30" long inside, 18" deep and 16" tall, again all inside dimensions.
It is a bit heavy right now as it was almost all green pine lumber cut 7/8" thick.
Added some hardware, hinges, latch and a lid chain. It should work for me. At least I won't have to worry about a tool walking off while I'm out of sight.

Jim Rogers
PS. I'll take a picture of it when I'm on the job and show you later on.

thechknhwk

As long as you aren't worried about anyone that has a drill getting in. :D

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: thechknhwk on April 09, 2017, 10:50:20 AM
As long as you aren't worried about anyone that has a drill getting in. :D

I'm going to be out in the public, and it's them that I am worried about picking up a tool and pocketing it, when I'm not there.
There shouldn't be anyone with a drill near me at all, ever, not even other workers.

I'm calling it a tool crate, but Fort Knox for short.
I added some corner brackets as I was a little concerned that the thing would/could separate when moving it. Now it is even heavier.
But when we move it, from site to site, it will be empty. Then I'll load it up with my tools after it is placed where I want it.
At night time all tools will be locked in trunk of car.

Should work, but we'll see.

Jim Rogers

flyingparks

My new house! Cut my first bent for my new house although I haven't assembled it. Here are some photos of the first post. Those diminished haunches are doozies!

Jim_Rogers

Ok so I said I'd let you know how it went with my tool box crate. It worked great. I really wish I had made it about 2" taller inside. But I think I can modify it to make it bigger fairly easily.

Here is a shot of it on site:

And when it wasn't raining out; I was outside:

I didn't have a problem with the crate at all.

But I left my drill bit in my boring machine, when I went to lunch one day. And when I got back I found that some one had decided they'd see if it could bore a hole in a rock:

After that, I didn't leave a bit in my boring machine. And I placed a "do not touch" sign on it.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Wow, that sucks about the rock. At least they didn't get far. Looks like you were set up in front of the church?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 12, 2017, 11:19:29 AM
Looks like you were set up in front of the church?

Next to the grave yard.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

I need to get back out there this year.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

There's a boring machine in our old courthouse as part of the display of old tools and things of life. I've set the bit back up several times and will return and someone fiddling with it has dropped it to the hard floor again. It's one of those things that makes a workman go uugh. Sitting here I've realized I should make them some sort of small timber rest that it can sit on and if someone wants to fiddle it'll drop onto wood, or even if they want to make a few shavings hey it's easy to sweep up and might spark an interest.

logman

Just put this frame up in Michigan.  28x42 white pine.

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Peter Drouin

With that much stealing  going on, Jim why put yourself in a spot like that?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 30, 2017, 05:48:52 AM
With that much stealing  going on, Jim why put yourself in a spot like that?
I was wondering the same thing.  It must be quite an interesting place if you can't even go to the john without worrying about your tools. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

logman

Just got back from raising 2 pavilions in Pa. Rough sawn hemlock.  Sorry about the double pictures, it is not easy to figure out posting pictures on here at least for me.

M&K Timber Works

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

logman

Thanks, it is also my favorite frames (there are 2 of them) of all that I have built so far.  It was not an easy frame to assemble.
M&K Timber Works

Thank You Sponsors!