iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Island Sawing

Started by Stephen1, August 08, 2019, 01:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I was contacted a month ago to se if I was interested in sawing on an island. I asked for a consulting fee to come look at what they had to saw. The money was etransfered right away. I met with the owner of the island and we boated to the island. He has about 10,000 bd ft of RO, Maple, Hemlock, and Bass Wood
His barge is capable of carrying 100 tons, a full size dump truck can be carried. 
We went back and forth on the price and came up with fees that are reasonable to both of us.
I am paid hourly from my home and back every day I am sawing. A travel hourly rate and then my sawing rate. I have 1 or 2 helpers coming with me and they are also paid from my place and back. 
I sent a contract and we both signed it last week.
I barged across the mill and truck onto the island yesterday. I took fluted stickers as he is going to bring the wood down to my kiln when he is ready to dry and turn into flooring.
I think we will be there for 4-5 days, he has a bobcat and a small excavator.

Here some pictures of the barge trip. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

Nice gig.  What is that stuck on your hydraulic box?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

Quote from: Southside on August 08, 2019, 02:05:08 PM
Nice gig.  What is that stuck on your hydraulic box?
Thats my breakfast shake. I was up early for me, @ 5 ;D, 1 hr drive and then 1 hr to barge across to the island
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

It almost looks like the St. Lawrence, but I am guessing it's around Huron. Nice office!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

muggs

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Keep us posted on how this turns out. Do you bring the mill home every night or are you leaving it set up at the site? I'd be nervous if the mill was out of my access but that is just me and probably everything will work out great. 

Is the customer running out and cutting more logs while you are sawing what is already at the landing? A fairly high percentage of my customers seem to like to do that when I am sawing especially over multiple days. They just happen to remember this extra tree or two they have been meaning to cut and while I am there the pile keeps growing. I bet many others here have had the same experience.

You see the pile and think it is 2-3 days work which turns into 4-5 because you are sawing at a moving target.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

buryhook

Great job! Lovely setting

hacknchop

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 08, 2019, 03:44:32 PMIs the customer running out and cutting more logs while you are sawing what is already at the landing? A fairly high percentage of my customers seem to like to do that when I am sawing especially over multiple days. They just happen to remember this extra tree or two they have been meaning to cut and while I am there the pile keeps growing. I bet many others here have had the same experience.     You see the pile and think it is 2-3 days work which turns into 4-5 because you are sawing at a moving target.

We call it sawmill fever and it can wreak havoc on a schedule.
Often wrong never indoubt

Stephen1

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 08, 2019, 02:37:45 PM
It almost looks like the St. Lawrence, but I am guessing it's around Huron. Nice office!
Close, just west of Algonquin Park, Lake of Bays. all the topography is the same as the St Lawrence , around Brockville.

I like the  boat ride to and from work.

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 08, 2019, 03:44:32 PM
   Congratulations. Keep us posted on how this turns out. Do you bring the mill home every night or are you leaving it set up at the site? I'd be nervous if the mill was out of my access but that is just me and probably everything will work out great.

Is the customer running out and cutting more logs while you are sawing what is already at the landing? A fairly high percentage of my customers seem to like to do that when I am sawing especially over multiple days. They just happen to remember this extra tree or two they have been meaning to cut and while I am there the pile keeps growing. I bet many others here have had the same experience.

You see the pile and think it is 2-3 days work which turns into 4-5 because you are sawing at a moving target.

The Lady of the island has alrady asked me to check out the big log she just found, in hopes of a Table Top
I like that they keep on finding more wood, as it will end up in my kiln. Should keep it busy all next spring. 
hacknchop, 
I tend to only book out 1 travel job a week starting on a monday, rain delays and such fill the week. People bring logs......

E-Tex

Wow.....what a job.  Sign me up for the location anytime! 

Keep updates coming!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

OffGrid973

Floating logs down the river last year, and now barge supported milling, two coolest things on the forum...besides every video coming Out Of The Woods :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

jbjbuild

What a cool job! Beautiful setting!
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Stephen1

Here are some shots from yesterday, A beautiful morning for the boat ride over. We are in a nice Stanley Aluminum. This has not been a high production job. Lots of small logs, even sawing 4x4 out of 6" logs for platforms. 
I would say we have about 2500 bd ft in two days, Thursday was a rain day, no sawing. 
The dad of 3 brothers is managing the island, the boys bought it last year and hope to have a retreat for the family and buisness.
The 1 st house starting next year is a 10,000 sq ft Timberframe. Then they plan 8 small cottages around the island. 

The lady of the island found her table top logs, 2 Sugar Maples logs 12' & 13' long, 24-30"  A little rot in the ends but we managed to get 8 slabs 3" slabs with lots of character, and a little spalting. 

Ljohnsaw

Was the hour boat ride on the barge?  Looks to be faster in the little boat ;)  So is this entire island owned by the family?  That would be so cool.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stephen1

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 10, 2019, 09:16:16 PM
Was the hour boat ride on the barge?  Looks to be faster in the little boat ;)  So is this entire island owned by the family?  That would be so cool.
1 hr on the barge. !0 mins in the stanley
Yes the previous owners from the 40's were a Christian group out of the USA, 
This family bought it and is now setting up a family compound.

busenitzcww

How big (aprox) is the island? Too cool!

Dana Stanley

Are they looking to adopt? I'm an orphan ya know! That is my dream right there!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Stephen1

Quote from: Dana Stanley on August 11, 2019, 07:47:33 PM
Are they looking to adopt? I'm an orphan ya know! That is my dream right there!
I am already 1st up to be adopted.  8)
He found 2 large blowdown Hemlock and is sending in the roadbuilder tomorrow to pull them out for me to saw.
The island is 22 acres. The Forester he hired did not believe it had ever been logged.
I have seen a few large red oaks. 40" DBH and 60' of nice log. 
Where the big house is going are 14 30" red oak to come down. I hope to be brought back in to saw and then dry them. 

Thank You Sponsors!