iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help identify this saw

Started by dragoneggs, July 27, 2008, 08:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragoneggs

I recently purchased a home in Seabeck, WA and found this saw on the property buried in blackberries and ivy.  It hasn't moved obviously in years but it in good shape.  The blade still turns smoothly.  I think originally it was powered by flat belt on end of shaft but in later years the base was modified to support a gas engine.  A belt still intact is hanging a pulley.  The blade is a little more than 31 inches in diameter and has 80 teeth.  Any idea of how old this is or any other interesting information about this kind of saw would be appreciated.

Jeff

Its simply a buzz rig for cutting up firewood. Probably home made and every farm in Michigan and many other states had one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

HOGFARMER

It appears to be a buzz saw, I don't know what make.  These are generally used to cross cut firewood to length.  They were generally powered by a farm tractor
Manual LT-30

easymoney

i have one in my back yard with a wisconsin engine on a home made wooden stand. i have considered  moving it to the front yard as yard art. when i was a kid my father had one he pulled with a farmall cub tractor to cut up fire wood.

schmism

039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Toolman

We always called them "Bucksaws". I use one to cut my slab wood into firewood. I added a 10 ft table to mine to lay slabs on. Mine runs off a 5 hp electric motor. I have a 26" blade on mine.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

thecfarm

Dragoneggs,welcome to the forum.The one we used the frame was made out of wood.No electrity on the farm.What else can you find?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dragoneggs

Hey thanks for all the replies!  Especially the video.  I went back in the brush and found the remains of the cut off tray.  I was also thinking of building a couple of planter boxes to mount on either side of the saw and put it in the garden.  I figured it was fairly common but I couldn't figure out exactly how it was used... thanks again!

Mark

John Bartley

Yup, everyone who has replied has been correct. I still have mine, all apart in the garage. Mine is a bit different to yours because mine has a honkin' big flywheel right beside the flat belt pulley. We drove mine with a Cockshutt 20 tractor. The tractor had Continental F124 gas engine in it, and there were times we weren't sure it would ever get the blade back up to speed after knocking off a block....::)

cheers eh?

john
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Chuck White

A lot of them work as in the video.  They pivot on a hinge at the bottom. Around here, these are the most common.
Others, and yours looks like it might be one, have a table on them and they roll forward and aft on rollers on tracks.
These buzz saws are great for bucking up limb wood.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

medic1289

Yup, buzz saw, probably as many horror stories 'bout them as there are varities.
Last one I saw in operation was on an ambulance call, had a dead guy layin in front of it. Seems some clothing got caught up in the blade, no second chance with them things.

Toolman

Boy, what a lousy way to go. I know I am super careful around mine. I installed a guard on mine but still plenty of room to lose limbs or life. I can't imagine gettin tangled up at the business end of that blade. Sorry to hear about that fella.  :-\
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

RSteiner

I have a smaller version of a saw like that which mounts on the front of an old Symplicity walk behind tractor.  The blade is roughly 20" in diameter.  I still use it for cutting up limb wood and small diameter stuff, around 4".  They are much faster and easier than using a chainsaw.

I must admit you have to pay close attention to what you are doing with your hands at all times.  I have heard some stories where people have been hurt or killed by these
"buzz saws".  Any saw can and will get you when you least expect it especially when you loose respect for what it will do to you given the chance.

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!