iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

So help me get this straight...the 462 is a higher rpm, power up top type of saw? What about the 461, is it a low end grunt machine. I like a nice smooth power delivery, starting down low.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

So help me get this straight...the 462 is a higher rpm, power up top type of saw? What about the 461, is it a low end grunt machine? I like a nice smooth power delivery, starting down low.
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: barbender on January 22, 2019, 02:45:49 PM
So help me get this straight...the 462 is a higher rpm, power up top type of saw? What about the 461, is it a low end grunt machine? I like a nice smooth power delivery, starting down low.
I think with a handle like "barbender" a 461 may be more suited for you :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Quote from: barbender on January 22, 2019, 02:45:18 PM
So help me get this straight...the 462 is a higher rpm, power up top type of saw? What about the 461, is it a low end grunt machine. I like a nice smooth power delivery, starting down low.
The low end grunt was more in a 460 (with a dual port), the 461 because of its exhaust stratification would run undecidedly at the same low speed, but move the throttle up a notch and it the power and from there onwards it is the smooth delivery you prefer. 
The 462 with its lower displacement and fancier breathing and electronics delivers the power of the other two if not a bit more, but it needs the rpms. I think you would be very happy with a 461 with a dual port. With that and a 460 ignition coil I found the 461 can run a 16" solid nose bar fitted with a 404 chain. Something the other two could not do

ehp

I have all of those saws here in pretty much new just broken condition, the 462 is a nicer saw to run than any of the others , it does not have the grunt of a good 461 but because it cuts at a higher rpm it cuts at pretty well the same speed , the grunt is close but not the same as the 461 but I like running the 462 better than the 461 . Im very happy with my 462 , now Im also happy with my 461's .

ehp

dealer called , my new 462 I guess got to him later today, I will pick it up and break it in then do a timed cut trail with all the stock saws, 460, 461 and 462

sawguy21

Quote from: ehp on January 21, 2019, 06:41:29 PM
today was a very good test day for the 462 , Im cutting on a hill very close to Lake Erie so a lot of wind , with wind chill it was -34 or -35 for most of the day . It was -24 without wind chill, its to be -25 or more in the morning without wind chill . Air has a lot of ice moist in it so most mtronic/autotune cannot adjust for that, the 462 never missed a beat and ran quite well. Wood was quite hard to with the water/frost in the tree.
What in tarnation are you doing cutting in those conditions? :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

making money to feed my family

Grandpa

Thanks for the real world reporting Ed. Sounds like a winner so far.

I do have a question though. I have some carpal tunnel problems and would like to know how the vibration compares to other saws. I am currently running a 562xp and a 372xp xt. I am ok with these saws but cannot run a rubber mounted saw. I know the 462 is spring mounted and wonder how it compares to Husky. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, I can't find an IPL for the 462 online. Does anyone know if the 462 is available with a choice of hard or soft springs.

ehp

462 to me is abit stiffer in mounts compared to say the 562   , I find the 562/365/372 a bit to soft for falling timber in frozen wood, WE have to bore cut almost every tree , higher grade timber plus high wind almost all times . Even on the landing I prefer abit stiffer mount cause of doing under cuts , the soft mount lets the power head move to much for me . Husky does make a stiffer mount thou . I picked up the other new 462 just now so it will be working tomorrow .

Grandpa

Thanks for the reply. I am watching this thread with a lot of interest. Nothing like a real logger to test a saw. Please keep the reports coming.

WWright

Hi I too have been watching this thread with a lot of interest,especially ehp real life reports. I have been running a couple 460's I think since they came out. I really like this saw. I have been thinking I would like to get a 462 when they show up,the power to weight ratio interest me.

One of my employees went to local equipment dealer to get Kubota parts yesterday and they told him they were getting 462 in next week. I was really surprised to hear that. I will be checking in with them and keep you posted

The only curve ball now is that Stihl has also come out with this MS 500i. What do you guys think about this saw compared to the 462 ?

Great thread !

ehp

I put a couple tanks threw the new 462 today but mainly ran the other 462, I think the new 462 might be stronger than my first one , it pulling pretty good and if it gains as much breaking in as the first one its going to be pretty strong light saw

ehp

I might be off on the mounts , the 462 is pretty nice . Once I get a second I will test all of them on that part. Im thinking the 460 is worse by abit for how your hands feel after 8 hours on running it

teakwood

Quote from: WWright on January 26, 2019, 06:35:28 AMThe only curve ball now is that Stihl has also come out with this MS 500i.

I wouldn't count too much on the 500i, it gets released this year in Europe i think. If they need the same time to adapt production like with the 462 which isn't really available or always sold out, it could be at least mid 2020 before they hit the american market. Just a thought
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

ya Im thinking a year or 2 before we see the 500i over here , been using the newest 462 on the landing bucking logs up, it works just like the first one . I ran a 28 inch bar on the first 462 falling big maple , we bore cut from both sides and saw handled it pretty good

HolmenTree

I won't be cutting a stick here until at least April.  I got my mind set on a MS462 C-M VW with heated carb and handles. I heard rumors there was a wiring issue on the earlier models, might be why their not here in Canada yet.
Will get the Arctic VW as long as it's a half wrap handle. No 3/4 or full wrap for me.

ehp

I think I read the arctic is quite abit heavier , Im working in -30 and my hands have not been cold yet , the steel handle bar saws my hands freeze so need heated on them

ehp

got 2 different weights on the heated saw but the latest weight is only .1 kg more so hope that is the true weight for the saw

HolmenTree

Ed, your 462 carbs  icing up at all?
Can you get the plastic winter cover for the rewind housing or just using duct tape ?

ehp

So far not a single problem and Im thinking unless I get into deep snow I will not have a problem , the air the carb gets on the 462 is a lot cleaner than either a 461 or the 460/660 so no wood chips or snow to the filter, I have not even cleaned the filter on the oldest 462 yet and its still clean

ehp

stihl did a good job on making the 462, if the 500i is better yet there will be no need for a difference saw for a pro person .

MG2186

Ed you ever looked into the 572? You seem to like about any flavor

ehp

No I have not and most likely will not unless I get sent one , Im pretty sure I will not be buying one .

ehp

we got some 40 below C weather coming starting tonight with wind chill , we got over another foot of snow last night and today , its not to be snowing right now but you can hardly see the road

Thank You Sponsors!